Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New EDC idea - opinions please

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
New EDC idea - opinions please
on: August 28, 2010, 10:31:31 PM
Was doing some thinking about what my next EDC experiment could possibly be. Looking for ways to cut out some weight/bulk. Wanted to run this one past you guys for some opinions. What I would like to do is just add a Skeletool CX with my Swisschamp, but then I came up with something a bit lighter and compact:

Vic Champion Plus
Skeletool CX
Fenix L0D

The theory behind it is this: Since I'm not working ATM I don't need my Maratac 9290 all the time, so my trusty old L0D can be put back into rotation. I love my Swisschamp, but if I have the Skeletool, I don't really need the extra bulk/weight of the second set of pliers, may be light enough to throw on the keychain. As for the Skelly CX, I'd rather have the better steel over the std. model, plus it looks cool, combine with black scales on the Champ, and you have a very pretty and well rounded EDC.

So what do you guys think? Realistically, I can't afford the whole thing, MAYBE the CX + what I have, or the Std. Skelly + Champ Plus. (My GF has however hinted at the possibility of buying me the Skelly :) ) Unless I can grab some of these used on the cheap (hint hint lol). But overall it sounds like a good match to me, unless you have some other advice/ideas?

P.S. I was looking through the trade forum and saw someone was looking to trade a CX for a Spirit S. If I had seen that sooner I'd have been all over it  :bnghd:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Re: New EDC idea - opinions please
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:36:11 PM
Too bad you weren't a day earlier, I had a Skelle std I wasn't using and nobody wanted, but I found someone to give it to yesterday. The CX is nicer anyways though

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:39:00 AM
I have a Skeletool CX and a Squirt PS4 on order. I am not sure I will end up keeping the PS4 so if you want to go smaller, let me know as I can make you a good deal on the PS4 (it's black).

Did I read correctly, that you may keep the Skeletool on your keychain? Might be a bit heavy for hanging on an ignition switch and may damage it. Or maybe you meant the Champ but that's a heavy one, too.

Now, I used to have a standard Skeletool a couple of years ago and for some reason good rid of it and I really miss the damn thing. I got my brother-in-law a Skeletool CX as a birthday present last year but it was the combo edge. I didn't get that one as I didn't care for a combo edge but now that the latest CX has the plain edge, I had a hankering to get one of those which is why I ordered it. I got the PS4 for the scissors and the file but now figure I don't really need it.

These EDC evolutions are fun, aren't they?  :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:50:22 AM
If all you want from the Skeletool is the pliers why not think about a Freestyle instead?  Your Champion or Champ would have you well covered for the missing screwdrivers and bottle opener. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:52:20 AM
Lol, actually even worse: I keep my Swisschamp on my keys, or should I say I keep my keys on my Swisschamp? I was actually talking about putting the Champion Plus on the keys, as really I don't carry the Swisschamp that way, I just keep them hooked together on a carabiner when I'm not using them.

It's amazing to think about the money that gets spent on these "experiments", it seems like every couple months I think up a new "perfect" EDC, some really are close to it, others wind up failing hard in the real world. What makes it so much fun though is that every time I learn something new and come that much closer to maybe, just maybe, getting it right. Not to mention all the cool new toys :)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:55:45 AM
If all you want from the Skeletool is the pliers why not think about a Freestyle instead?  Your Champion or Champ would have you well covered for the missing screwdrivers and bottle opener. :)

It's not just the pliers, it's the supplemental drivers as well. Not to mention the fact that I could use just the Skelly in many situations if I didn't want to carry something else. Besides, my manager (really cool guy, not the one that got me to quit lol) EDC'd a Freestyle and let me play with it a bit. I didn't like it much. I loved the form factor, but without the drivers, biner, etc. it just didn't have enough to offer.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:54 AM

It's not just the pliers, it's the supplemental drivers as well. Not to mention the fact that I could use just the Skelly in many situations if I didn't want to carry something else. Besides, my manager (really cool guy, not the one that got me to quit lol) EDC'd a Freestyle and let me play with it a bit. I didn't like it much. I loved the form factor, but without the drivers, biner, etc. it just didn't have enough to offer.

fair enough mate.  Funnily I had exactly the opposite reaction; the Skeletool left me cold but the Freestyle made more sense to me. :D  Each to their own of course. :) 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:48 AM
Haha, don't get me wrong I think for most people the Freestyle is a great choice: small, light, decent knife, and some pliers to boot. Problem is I (most of us here really) aren't "most" people lol. I need to have as many options and versatility as possible, in the most efficient form factor. That's why I've pretty much stopped carrying my pliers based multis and have my Swisschamp every day: most tools in the smallest size. I just keep finding myself wishing for better pliers, and some more driver options that don't slip. Adding a Skeletool to the mix gives me a better/larger/OH/locking knife, plus much better albeit still relatively light duty pliers, and those drivers. All this with practically no added weight and bulk. The reason I mention using the Champ Plus with the Skelly is it would remove the now redundant pliers and their associated weight and bulk. Used to be that I liked having the SAK pliers partnered with a full size pliers multi for all those small jobs grabbing at things in computer cases and such, but with the Skelly pliers being so slim, I see no need for the extra set. Realistically though, I'd be perfectly happy just adding the CX to my current Swisschamp.

Offline sappyg

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 01:21:43 AM
my EDC setup changes from time to time. i'm always looking for a better way to go.

did i hear trade for a spirit... :think: i don't have a CX skele (mine is th regular) but i'm always looking to replace the spirit i lost last winter. shoot me a PM if you wanna smoke it over.
i

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD