Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Knifeless Fuse...day two.

Chako · 21 · 2541

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
EDC Knifeless Fuse...day two.
on: October 02, 2009, 02:11:19 AM
As some of you know, I just purchases 2 knifeless fuses; one for the collection and the other for work. I work in a High School so no blades are allowed. However, I am also the computer contact, and I basically take care of all the computers within allowable Board IT parameters (don't get me started on that) and often use pliers (if they only knew  :D) to fix ummm...computery things (;)). Anyways, I am always in need of a pair of pliers, etc. I thought the knifeless fuse would be perfect.

When I bought both, I decided to try the leather and nylon sheath (no I am not going to make the mistake that the fuse is in fact a kick and I can use a clip...this time :D). After wearing the leather sheath for one day, I was ready to throw it out the second floor window. I am a big guy with a gut, and the leather sheath...(can I call it leather?) has several things wrong with it right from the get go. For one, it rides too high. In fact, it dug into my side all day long to such an extent I just had to take it off 3/4 through the day. To add insult to injury, I found that the rough edges on the sheath that made contact with skin rubbed it raw in no time flat. I still have sheath rash in one spot on my side and that was from yesterday.  :o

This morning, I tried the nylon sheath, and what a difference. It was super comfortable, No rough edges, and best of all, it rides lower on the belt. So I have found my sheath of preference, and it only took 2 days.

I am very disappointed with the craptacular pleather sheath. I figured it being compact, would be a better fit and would infinitely be more comfortable. I was thinking of the leather sheaths of old from Leatherman. Boy, was I wrong.

As for the knifeless fuse, it helped me with opening one computer case for servicing. It also came in handy for a lab preparation, where I used the wire cutters to good effect. Yesterday will be day 3 of my EDC with the knifeless fuse. It is a PD day, so I won't have any opportunity to use it, but I would say the experiment so far has been a rousing success.  :salute:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline PoliceScannerMan

Re: EDC Knifeless Fuse...day two.
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:36:41 AM
Good review, +1 on the pleather, they suck!!

Also, never say never, there maybe a loose bolt on a desk, or maybe a door knob wiggles, or etc. etc. etc. :D
-

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:37:20 AM
LOL I also threw the pleather sheath out after using it for a day, then bought a nylon one.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:42:43 AM
That and I forgot to mention that the leather sheath is badly built. I found that I couldn't holster the fuse once I took it out because it got jammed on an inside fold of the fake leather sheath, thereby not allowing me to close the lid properly and secure the Fuse. This happened twice in one day. Bha!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:43:22 AM
Gosh dang pleather makes me so mad! >:(

But I've never had to use it. :D
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:05:41 PM
Count yourself lucky.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:49:55 PM
I can only agree.  I normally dislike nylon sheaths but the pleather one's you get on the Blast/Fuse/Kick are so horrible anything would be better.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline getahl

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:17:50 PM
How do the Kick-Fuse-Blast sheathes stack up against the Wave-Charge sheathe? I find the nylon one comfier, but I cut my teeth on the pleather one. Hell, I used it for two years, up until last week when I finally got around to picking up the nylon variety.

On a side note, I also picked up a pleather Juice sheathe, and I'm in love. I dig the belt clip.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:16 PM
Chako if I were you I would get the MOLLE sheath if you don't have one already. Both the 4'' and 4.5'' LM tools fit nicely in them. This way you don't have to worry about what sheath to use on an everyday basis. I've bought one for my Core and so far so good. Most comfortable sheath I've ever worn.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:20:40 PM by EZ822 »
Erick

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:44:03 PM
Ummm pleather.....  If were socially acceptable I would drape myself in pleather.   :D   No visuals please.  :ahhh

1Jump2Many
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 11:53:01 PM
I do have a few MOLLE sheaths. I am happy enough with the nylon one that I see no need to find something more comfortable. I don't even feel it is there now, which is the ideal.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 02:41:11 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with the current pancake sheaths. The velcro wears out after a few years but it's not hard to put on a snap.

The MOLLE sheaths, tho, are just excellent.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:47 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with the current pancake sheaths. The velcro wears out after a few years but it's not hard to put on a snap.

RRrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!!!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 02:47:04 AM

RRrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!!!

Yea.....I know........but they are pretty tough.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 02:49:15 AM

Yea.....I know........but they are pretty tough.

Agreed. :D :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 05:55:34 AM
Glad to hear the Fuse is doing a good job for ya Chako :tu: I actually had a better than expected experience with the Blast's Pleather sheath :o :D It really never bothered me but after about 8 months I went with the SuperTool and it's old school leather sheath and never looked back ;) Well that is until the past week when my newly returned Core from LM HQ came back thought I would carry it some before it went the way of the dinosaur when I get the ST 300 ;) :D :D :D

I also like the sheaths that come with the LM knifes like these  :cheers:

http://store.leatherman.com/shop/shop.aspx?category=41

There is a nylon pancake sheath in there as well but you get the idea of which ones I am talking about  ;) :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 12:03:49 PM
That is odd don't you think. The MOLLE sheath is designed for the military, and yet, I am sure that the extra long Velcro would be a disadvantage in many combat situations. One would think they would go with a magnetic clasp or something.  :think:

us Offline EZ822

Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 01:37:51 PM
That is odd don't you think. The MOLLE sheath is designed for the military, and yet, I am sure that the extra long Velcro would be a disadvantage in many combat situations. One would think they would go with a magnetic clasp or something.  :think:
Totally agree with the magnetic clasp idea.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:39:29 PM by EZ822 »
Erick

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 04:27:10 PM
Slightly different question.  Given that your place of employ has a no knife policy, are you finding yourself having to explain every five minutes that the tool on your belt is bladeless?
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:01 PM
Not that bad. I just have to say it has no knife...and they haven't yet. Mind you, I am sure a few went running to the Principal, but she was the first one I showed it to.  :D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 11:10:13 PM
Not that bad. I just have to say it has no knife...and they haven't yet. Mind you, I am sure a few went running to the Principal, but she was the first one I showed it to.  :D

Sensible move ;)  :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%