Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My favorite lights and why

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My favorite lights and why
Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:42 PM
Being cheap i have a vast collection on Mag-Lites. I bought an LED 3D cell for 10 bucks at Lowes. Works good for my purposes and i can beat the hell out of someone with it as a bonus :D.

I can see the attraction of those super bright Surefires and the like though. I've been eyeballin Inova brand lights at Target here lately.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:48 PM
The Arc's are a fantastic light :)

Certainly you'd have a tough time killing one :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 11:20:00 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Streamlight Nano- For under $10, I doubt you are going to get a better light.  I'd looked at this thing many times on EDCDepot and always figured I'd add it to my next order, since at $7 it wasn't worth the shipping to get it by itself!  It's powered by three watch batteries, and is pretty darned bright.  No one I show it to is ready for the extreme brightness, which is visible even in the daytime!  Plus, it weighs almost nothing, so when you hang it on your keys you won't remember it's there until you need it.

I agree, the Nano is a fantastic light. I use one on my winter jacket as a zipper pull.  It's light enough for me to not notice that it's there until I need it.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 11:24:43 PM
And bright enough to be very useful when you do!  It's amazing how much light is put out by that little bugger.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:10 AM
As far as I know, the LED's themselves and I would guess the majority of the electronics are likely to be sourced from China, even if they are assembled in the US and stuck in a US machined body.  Get yourself a Fenix and you'll see the quality is indeed there.

Def

Who stuffs and otherwise processes a circut board can make a hell of a difference , all components being equal . A lot of it is about QC and support .

I reserve judgement on Fenix stuff , the ones I have seen are not too great in either the machining or anodizing department . Another anoying factor , the inside of the lenses are often dirty/badly coated .

Chris

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 01:34:44 AM
Well, I certainly can't deny your conclusions, which are based on your experience.  All I can say is that in my experience, which has been limited to only a few models, I have found their quality and function to be just as good as anything else I have held/used.  I have an L1P sitting right next to me, and while I bought it second hand, Fenix was still willing to repair the switch, which had an occasional issue with turning on for no real reason.  They offered to send me out the part so I could replace it, or I could send in the light for them to do it.  Not too many companies offer components for something they consider under warranty, even when it isn't the original owner contacting them!

At any rate, Fenix has to be doing something right, as I believe they are providing the lights to Leatherman for the Serac and Monarch series.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:24 AM
Fenix and Nitecore are very credible lites . I'm just not confident about their ability to handle heavy abuse , such as I dish out . I've rocked Surefires since 1992 , and know they will take a beating . I tend to stick to stuff I know , Snap-On and Kline for hand tools , Fluke for meters , Metabo and hilti for power tools , for me it's not a hobby . I want stuff that doesn't screw up , if I have to pay more ; so be it .

Chris

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 02:14:24 AM
No problems there!  I wasn't trying to change your mind, everyone is entitled to buy what they like!

The only reason that the L1P isn't listed in my favorite lights is that all the things I like it for, one of the other lights on my list does a bit better.  It was just barely knocked out of the "brightest light" status by the Extreme Beam SAR5, even though I much prefer an AA based light.  The only saving grace on the SAR5, and why it edged out the Fenix was because it came with two rechargeable batteries and a charger.  Otherwise, it would have been put aside with all my other CR123 lights.

I also miss having a pocket clip on it, which is another slight knock at it, but I really can't fault it or any of the other Fenix models I have.  It's also an older model, a generation or two (or more!) behind the current offerings.  I imagine the newer ones are quite a bit more interesting.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 04:58:50 PM
I have an L1P sitting right next to me, and while I bought it second hand, Fenix was still willing to repair the switch, which had an occasional issue with turning on for no real reason.  They offered to send me out the part so I could replace it, or I could send in the light for them to do it. 

My recommendation would be to not send the light to Fenix in your case.  They probably will not cover the part if the light has been modified.  That's assuming it's the L1P I'm remembering...

Regardless, that is a great example of their excellent CS.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:11 AM
That's the same Fenix, and I'm recounting the tale of how it ended up with you in the first place!  :D

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 05:24:22 AM
That's the same Fenix, and I'm recounting the tale of how it ended up with you in the first place!  :D

Def

In that case, it's not really an L1P.  It's a modified L2P with an L1P body.  :P :D
- Terry

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 09:33:15 PM
my favorites a ld20  cause i only have a minimag to compare it too XD
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:42:42 PM by ryan1835 »
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:41 PM
Kinda like comparing a floodlight to a candle isn't it.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 12:12:51 AM
Yeah its silly how bright it is!
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 08:00:18 AM
Yeah its silly how bright it is!
You'll be craving more power soon mate :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:34 PM
I don't know about power anymore . I have owned some pretty powerfull stuff , Surefire M6's , and a modified Tiger light that was a true barn burner . I find that nowadays I'm happy with something between 60 and 80 OTF Lumens , with a good beam pattern . Preferably with a single CR123 body. BTW , I just changed the batt. in my Surefire E1B ( same Batt since late Nov. ) , my Novatac 120EDC ( Thanks GG ! ) still sports it's original cell - It's become my dominant work lite of late , I recieved it in Oct. If you buy by the dozen , CR123's can be had for $2.00 and change , in Canada .

While I am happy with 2 levels , the NovaTac has taught me to like 3 useable levels ( it has 4 , counting the strobe ) , I don't find the strobe to be of much use .

Chris
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:31:45 PM by Styerman »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 06:47:26 PM
You can always program it to another light level instead of strobe, thou 4 levels are kinda excessive.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 02:32:21 PM
JZ , I agree 100% , but I think I'll keep the strobe as is , might come in handy in an emergency ( at least in an outdoor context ) .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD