Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What was your worst multitool

Offline Sharpdogs

What was your worst multitool
on: September 21, 2006, 01:28:11 PM
Late one night I was up late and unable to sleep.  There was nothing on TV so I wound up watching the QVC channel.  I know, I am ashamed to admit it.  On screen they had this "awesome" multitool with a one handed opening blade and a bunch of other must have tools.  It looked like a real cheap copy of the wave.  So like an idiot I ordered it.  Two weeks later it arrived.  I decide to test it out by using it to help build a dog house for my german shepherd (which she never used, because she's a princess).  Keep in mind that the multitool was by no means my only tool.  I had a tool set, power tools, etc., at my disposal.  I mainly used it for cutting open a box of shingles and few other lite tasks.  The cheap, wave wanna be, multitool literally fell apart in my hands.  The liner lock for the blade broke first and then it went down hill from there.  I learned my lesson never to buy from QVC and not to waste my time building a dog house for a dog that prefers to sleep on my bed.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 01:30:05 PM by Sharpdogs »
w

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Re: What was your worst multitool
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:46:40 PM
LOL, i know what youmean about both things the multitool and the dog!
i have a chinese multi that has server mewell bt inever used it hard, just a smal touch when ihave no other tools around

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:15:55 PM
I had an original Gerber pliers multitool.  The screwdrivers were too stubby.  It was difficult to get the pliers head to deploy and it rattled when carried. 

The worst design aspect was a safety issue.  The handles pinched my palm when the pliers closed, drawing a painful blood blister.  I got rid of the tool afterwards.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:33:13 PM
QVC isn't all bad.  Once in a while there's a guy on there trying to sell Victorinox knives.  Once in a while...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:58:01 PM
My worst multitools?  A word to the wise- never tell people that you collect knives, tools, SAKs etc.  here is why:

A few Christmas's ago my mother in law, who isn't the smartest person in the world, decided to get me a Swiss Army Knife.  Of course, what good are those plastic red things, when she could go to Home Depot and get an 8 tool set for only $7.99?  What a bargain!  They have to be good- they are warranteed forever, and it says right on them "STAINLESS STEEL" and that's good, right?

I managed to keep a smile on my face and pretend that she managed to get the best deal ever, and that I was lucky she found them, but you wouldn't believe just how bad they really are.  I have never used them, and yet you can still see the rust and corrosion on them from sitting in the drawer.  These are the two "multitool" ones, and serve as a reminder why brand names cost more.
Sheffield01.JPG
* Sheffield01.JPG (Filesize: 42.28 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 08:59:45 PM
You have to wonder about th qc of a manufacturer that can't even get the stickers on straight!
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 01:58:22 AM
My worst was a Stanley Automatic Multitool. (Sorry 665ae! I see you have one on order. I would have warned you if I'd known!) This thing is a miniature copy of the SOG Switchplier, with a Chinese twist; it springs open at the push of a button, and falls apart at the squeeze of the handle. No kidding, the handle literally broke off in my hand the first time I used it. I keep the remnant around as a reminder to myself about "lessons learned."

* stanley.jpg (Filesize: 16.38 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 02:00:14 AM
I have seen those around and always wondered if they were any good.  Although at a fraction of the price of the Switch Plier I kinda figured it wasn't that great.
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 02:12:08 AM
They are bad, bad, bad. I'm not sure what the metal-like substance is that they made it from. I honestly think an all plastic tool would have been stronger.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 02:33:40 AM
Wow... that good huh?

I have a cheap Chinese multi that was given to me by my brother- same story as above really, but instead of 8 tools for $8 it was more like a tool, a flashlight and a lighter for $30.  It's called Master Grip or something and really isn't anything worth raving about, but for a cheap tool it's actually been pretty good.  One tool on it in particular that I like is a wrench.  It's basically shaped like a saw without teeth, a screwdriver end and a few hex cutouts in it.  I find it quite handy when taking apart a computer or a SOG as the slots fit those nuts perfectly.

I'll try to post a pic of it later so you can make sense of my babbling about toothless saws with holes!

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 06:38:53 AM
My worst was a Stanley Automatic Multitool. (Sorry 665ae! I see you have one on order. I would have warned you if I'd known!)

Haha... don't worry about it man.  It was an impulse buy because it was cheap.  (Less than $10)  I didn't think it would be very high quality.  It's mainly just something to add to my minimalist multi-tool collection.  :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 08:50:32 PM
Gerber 600 Scout  , the screws in the handles kept coming loose on both handles and the awl broke after trying to put a small hole in a thin bit of plastic , I've never bought another gerber product again .

Dunc

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 12:59:18 AM
Gerber 600 Scout  , the screws in the handles kept coming loose on both handles and the awl broke after trying to put a small hole in a thin bit of plastic , I've never bought another gerber product again .

Dunc

Simply use Loctite on the threads when ever you loosen or tighten those threads.Can be applied with a pin so you do not need to strip the thing right down to do it. There again you could always chuck it in my bin as long as you tell me ;)

Dave

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 10:46:42 AM

Dunc

Simply use Loctite on the threads when ever you loosen or tighten those threads.Can be applied with a pin so you do not need to strip the thing right down to do it. There again you could always chuck it in my bin as long as you tell me ;)

Dave

I know what you mean about the loctite Dave but what angered me was you shouldnt need to do this on a premium multitool and the awl breaking was the last straw .

Dunc

Offline damota

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 02:24:01 PM

I know what you mean about the loctite Dave but what angered me was you shouldnt need to do this on a premium multitool and the awl breaking was the last straw .

Dunc

I have the 600 with the jig saw blade adapter and it is my most used along with the cyber tool. I am afraid the use of loctite is the price you pay for being able to mess about with the configuration and being able to tighten loosen the small tools. When the 600 with the cable cutter head becomes available in the UK I am planning to get one and put the saw adapter into the cable cutter to replace the Paul Chen tool and retire the now well used 600 for spares.

Dave

Offline Cheviot

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 05:24:16 PM
I've just been collecting my multitools together for a photoshoot and came across my first ever (not including SAK's) Multitool.

Its a Sack of Cack!

More properly known as a "Coleman ProLock".

I am embarrased to own it, I bought it before I'd even seen a Leatherman in the UK if that's any excuse, It will be included in my post on the Great Multitool picture thread later in the week.

Its a great concept, in that the tools contained within the handles are removable so making it three tools in one.

Pliers + Knife/screwdriver + Saw/File for instance

Buts its so poorly made its amazing!

I'll post pictures and a Damning review later this week if I get time (12 month old son taking most of my free time at the moment!

Stay Safe

Rob
S

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 08:27:03 PM
An old Gerber original multitool , screwdrivers were crap , pliers broke under light pressure . Only good part was  the awl .

Chris

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 10:27:29 PM
Some good hunks of crap in this thread:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,394.0.html

But I look at it this way- if it wasn't for the manure, would we appreciate the roses as much?

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 10:59:43 PM
My Dad bought me a plastic-handled Chinese-wannabe multitool years ago.  It even came with a vinyl pouch!

The first time I clamped down on something hard with the pliers, they tweaked.  The handles would touch before the jaws would fully close.  Good stuff!  The vinyl pouch outlasted the tool.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 03:29:13 AM
An old Gerber original multitool , screwdrivers were crap , pliers broke under light pressure . Only good part was  the awl .

Chris

That's too funny; I was just reading in another thread about how the awl busted on Dunc's old Gerber tool!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 02:28:09 AM
Some pics of my best cheap-o...

Def

* Cheapo01.JPG (Filesize: 49.59 KB)

* Cheapo02.JPG (Filesize: 55.79 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%