Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm glad to be here.....

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
I'm glad to be here.....
on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:34 PM
  Or anywhere for that matter..I just came home within the past hour from the hospital after having been there since Saturday evening.To make a long story short,I took a spill while on my bike,and wound up suffering several abrasions two broken ribs,and a moderate pneumothorax.even through through the drug induced haze of a cocktail of dilaudid,and phenergan,there's nothing like the sound of a lung,MY lung reinflating with a distinct and audible pop.
         Take my word for it,life isn't very enjoyable with an IV in one arm,and a chest tube connected to a pleur-vac dangling from the chest like some mutated appendage.
 There is a moral to this story,;although the location of the worst of my injuries,would not had been prevented by a helmet..no matter what,no matter the sport or actiivity,ALWAYS WEAR THE APPROPRIATE ,AND PROPER FITTING SAFETY GEAR.It's far better to be laughed at for looking like a dork,than to be admired for leaving such a good looking corpse.
 Since I'll be off the wheels for two weeks or until the Dr. clears me..I'll be here  doing some writing that I'd had been working up.
Be safe, and enjoy life
I

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I'm glad to be here.....
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:25:26 PM
Holy crap Bob!  I'm glad to hear that you are still with us!  That must have been a hell of a spill!

I hope there's no permanent damage done?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:43:08 PM
Well my ego took  a walloping nosedive,and this head is the head of one of those World Famous Hard Headed Scots.I'm going to be sore and tender for a while,but I'll be back aboard the bikes yet....I can't stand for anything to get the better of me :D
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:53:47 PM
Well glad to hear you'll be ok... next question is, how's the bike? :P   :pok:

Seriously, bike wrecks can be nasty.  You go alot faster than nature ever intended the human body to go, and you don't have the protection you need, even if you are wearing a helmet.  I'm glad you came out of it on the right side of the dirt!

I know I hurt pretty bad for weeks after my best wreck.  My tire came off and I went face first into the gravel, ripping off much of my face, shoulder, neck and chest.  My helmet was perfectly safe!  And the wrenching my neck took bothered me for a long time afterwards!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:33:41 PM
Glad to hear you survived mostly intact Bob! Man, that sounds like it was scary!  :o

Please share some of the details with us when you are feeling up to it.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:12:25 AM
I'm still re-playing the thing in my mind,and still can't quite puzzle out what happened..I was on the Schwinn Sierra GS,not the speediest thing in the ranch,and on a street I've known all my life..the oly thng I can thnk of,is that coming down a slight grade,I picked up some speed,and hit an uneven break in the pavement,and the suspension fork caused things to get a bit livelier than normal,and I lost control. As far as I can tell there isn't a scratch on the bike,but I only got a looksee,while I was still stunned and addlepated...I'll thoroughly inspect it,when I'm more able. The control cables did wind up completely wrapped around the the head  tube.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:13:44 PM
Glad to see you haven't lost your good humor along with your teeth!   :grin:

Here's the driver's license I had to renew shortly after my accident.  I begged them to just use the old photo, but they couldn't, so for four years I carried this one.  I still carry it, but now for amusement, rather than having to!

Def

* DL01.JPG (Filesize: 13.94 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 07:09:07 PM
..I can't stand for anything to get the better of me :D
good on ya mate, that the spirit :)

glad you on the mend ;)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:44:56 PM
I came off my bike a few months ago, managed to get away with just a broken brake lever and a few scrapes, still wasnt a nice feeling though.
Hope you recover quickly and fully, and i hope the bikes ok too!
Ryan
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:30:32 AM
Nasty case of road rash ya' got there Def!  (Hope you don't look as roughed-up as that, Bob)  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 04:26:08 AM
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery Bison56... :cheers:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 04:48:49 PM
Each passing day is a little better than the day before...the most humbling thing is that my grand daughter told me that I need training wheels just like the ones she has on her bike. I will say this about Schwinn's bike shop stuff,they are remarkably solid pieces of cyclery, several cuts above their dept store offerings.
I

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:58:38 PM
i am gad you making it better m8! heal soon and keep cycling!

Esteban

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 06:56:00 AM
i am gad you making it better m8! heal soon and keep cycling!

Esteban
Depending on whose opinion you get,I'm either too stubborn or too stupid to quit :grin: On another note,I retrieved the bike today and it was  sound as a dollar(when was the last time you heard THAT one?!),except the wheels were warped...but no loss there,I wasn't happy with them in the first place,and was planning replacement..it just comes sooner than planned.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 03:11:02 AM
Stubborn stupidity... the essence of man!

You never know which blow from your forehead will knock down the brick wall, so you might as well keep hitting it!  :grin:

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%