Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Backpacker Question.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Wenger Backpacker Question.
on: October 05, 2009, 11:02:40 PM
I had one package in the mailbox today. It was a knife that I had won off of eBay earlier. It is a Wenger Backpacker. I went for it because of the interesting backpacker design on the scale.

Now that I have had a chance to look it over in person, I went onto the SAKWiki site to get a positive ID, and this is where I get a bit confused.

My knife has the backpacker logo sure enough, and it matches that of the Wenger Backpacker on the Wiki site. However, mine has a locking blade and only a tweezers. There is no toothpick, or even a place for one. It also has the small clip point blade. That fits one of the Backpacker versions called a Backpacker II. Now, the main blade locks on mine, which from what I can ascertain, none of the 3 backpacker models mentioned on the SAKWiki have.

I see there is an Alpine Backpacker with a locking main blade, but that one is fully serrated. Not to mention it doesn’t have the secondary small clip point blade.

So what exactly do I have here? Some sort of hybrid? An in-between? Another variant of the Backpacker that isn't mentioned on the SAKWiki? I find it odd that mine only has the tweezers. No toothpick is present, nor is there a spot for one either. Odd.

The blade says "Backpacker by Precise Wenger".

Any help in IDing/date and any back history stuff would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:04:39 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Wenger Backpacker Question.
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:20:12 PM
Looks similar to my cascade (mine's green).  Look at Smartknives.com They differ on the descriptions from the SAKwiki

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:45 PM
Found it, kind of.  :think:

On smartknives, they do describe a Backpacker II with locking blade. However, mine only has the tweezers. All Backpacker and like knives described on Smartknives have toothpicks as well.

Oh well. Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about Smartknives.

Maybe someone should update the SAKWiki section if at all possible?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:33 PM
The trouble with some Wenger models is there are so many variations it is hard to fit all of them in an easy to find spot on the SAKWicki. Another thing about your knife is it is a variant made by "Precise" which was an importer of Wenger SAK's back before Wenger had any sales offices here in the US. I have found many models that are slightly different and having that "Precise" marking on the blade which helps to explain their uniqueness.

Edit added;
I am usually the one that does the Wenger models more on the SAKWicki and I have found it difficult to actually get all the names where they can be seen or searched for. The Backpacker is certainly one of those models with too many variants. There is also a "Deluxe" Backpacker and another Deluxe model not even listed yet although I have the photo on SAKWicki in the gallery. The Deluxe model includes a magnifier tool.

More edits;
Also there are other models that have the "Backpacker" image but are called something completely different. I will see if I can find what I mean and repost it here.
More edits;
Here is one, the Pathfinder. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Pathfinder
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:54:44 PM by stressmaster5000 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:26 PM
Now THAT was very valuable information. I did not know that.

Thanks Mr. Whippy and Stressmaster5000.  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:06:54 AM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:30:35 AM by stressmaster5000 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
Excellent info. Thank you.  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:24 AM
Here is an interesting quote from Business Week;
"
Company Overview

Wenger NA markets and sells pocket, butcher, and professional catering knives in the United States and the Caribbean. It offers Swiss Army knifes, watches, and footwear; outdoor gear, including tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, and air mattresses; travel gear, such as casual travel bags, camping equipment, duffel bags, and travel accessories; and business gear, which include computer cases, leather folios, and other business accessories. Wenger NA was formerly known as Precise International. The company is based in Orangeburg, New York."

I have never seen this exactly worded this way so I guess it explains some things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%