Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Good Times May Be Coming To An End

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: The Good Times May Be Coming To An End
Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:17 PM
I'll still buy Vic , just like I buy a few other price inelastic products ( Surefire , Apple , Chris reeves , Strider spring to mind ) . They have a unique product , with no real competition . If they can pull it off , that's just bussiness , nothing personal . Felinevet will still be about the best online vendor out there , the kitties still need your help .

Chris

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 03:03:52 PM
I definitely agree with Def's assesment of the damage that low-cost internet-based operations cause both to the B&M retailer businesses and the brands they "cheapen" by selling them just above the wholesale cost. And I would not be surprised if this move (presumably by Swiss Brands, not Ibach) is a result of B&M dealers complaining or refusing to carry Victorinox products. I also understand that those of us who have over 100 SAKs represent an exception, and for the majority of potential buyers this increase will not be noticable, as they may not have seen the heavy discounting of the last few years.

However, I am not sure if MAP move is going to be better or worse compared, say, with the wholesale price increase and/or different dealer prices for B&M and internet retailers. The latter may soiund like a hard thing to implement, but it really isn't - any retailer that offers ordering online/on the phone is considered internet-based and pays 20% premium. This will both support B&M retailers, put more money in Victorinox' pocket, and maintain the acceptable price level. Whether registered charities get a break or not is another question, either way I will continue buying my SAKs from Tim and support either the kitties or Ibach workers...
-------
Alexei

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 08:46:38 PM
:oops: Sorry, I didn't mean to cause an uproar. I was just trying to let people know that change was coming. I would like to make a couple of points: I have closed my eBay store and sell almost nothing on eBay anymore. Between the rising fees and the cutthroat price undercutting of several dealers, there was really no profit left in it anyway. Making a net of $1. on a SAK considering the workload and time was ridiculous. Some dealers watch each other and when they see someone selling SAK X for $8. will change theirs to $7.95. and on and on until it's down to $5. and maybe $1. over wholesale. It drove me crazy (and off eBay). Also, one of the points above is valid, people (not the public) can buy wholesale from other suppliers and resell at any price they want. They give up the "authorized dealer" status from Vic but I wonder how many people care about that anyway. Clearly buying from Vic is desirable because they carry new stuff sooner than other suppliers. I certainly want to maintain my Authorized Dealer status with the company. BTW, if anyone chooses to complain to Vic about this policy, please do not mention me or FVEAP. The last thing I need is for them to turn a spotlight on me over this. Thanks.
T

spam Offline radioz

Reply #63 on: October 10, 2009, 11:03:57 PM
Here was me hoping to grab a Workchamp XL, but I can't afford it until next month  :ahhh

I hate to say it but some time credit cards are there for a good reason, layover the cost this month any pay before the interest is added next.

Dear Lord I just recommend using a credit card  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I did that once in order not to miss a unique opportunity on a rather expensive SAK and I'm still feeling the guilt  :ahhh 

Easier now though as I can't use a credit card to fund my purchases.

Time to sell an organ ;)

Wow. It's a good thing you still have one!  (wait....you do have one don't you??)  :ahhh

radioz

Offline Ben X

Reply #64 on: October 11, 2009, 03:58:06 AM
BTW, if anyone chooses to complain to Vic about this policy, please do not mention me or FVEAP. The last thing I need is for them to turn a spotlight on me over this. Thanks.
Yeah I also was hoping everyone would have enough sense not to mention FVEAP. I kinda wonder how much they really base their decisions off of feedback anyway, sadly 100's could call/email in and it's still a small margin compared to the hundreds of thousands or even millions of knives they sell in the US. I'm more afraid of landing any of us collectively or individually a bad name than dishing out a few extra dollars. Not to mention we all always brag about how the SAK is still the best quality you can get for the money anywhere, hands down. So even if the price is slightly raised, it's still not like we are getting a terrible deal by any means. I'm not trying to play both sides of the fence, but it just seems like we will have to accept it for now and hope it changes.
"

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 08:14:18 PM
Just a quick glance over eBay and I found these price differences from Victorinox MSRP listed at the SwissArmy dot com website and what a couple of low margin Vic dealers have listed on eBay;

Pioneer Harvester-MSRP $46 US------eBay--$24

Old Alox Soldier--MSRP--$34---------eBay--$19

125th Ann. Climber-MSRP-$47--------eBay--$40

New Pinstripe Spartans--MSRP-$25---eBay--$18

BSA Huntsman-------MSRP--$41-----eBay--$33

I did not compare any discontinued models or anything not listed on the SwissArmy website. These are just a couple of examples but it helps put the problem into perspective.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 08:28:11 PM
Just a quick glance over eBay and I found these price differences from Victorinox MSRP listed at the SwissArmy dot com website and what a couple of low margin Vic dealers have listed on eBay;

I did not compare any discontinued models or anything not listed on the SwissArmy website. These are just a couple of examples but it helps put the problem into perspective.

So, presumably MAP is somewhere in between these two?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 08:41:37 PM

So, presumably MAP is somewhere in between these two?
I do not know the MAP numbers but Felinevet has his PinStripe Spartans advertised at $21, Pioneer Harvester he has at $32 but his 125th Climber he has at $33 so I am a little confused.  :think:  :think:  :think:  :think:

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 10:39:26 PM
First, always make sure to compare apples and oranges (or in this case, includes shipping or it doesn't). Then be aware that sometimes Vic does special promotions with discounted deals to dealers (this frequently happens with closeouts, new items, etc.) Some dealers that got those special promotions can sell for less than other dealers who did not since they paid less. Next, consider if stock is sitting and not moving, a dealer might sell at a major discount (up to and including the actual wholesale price). These are just some factors in the price equation.
T

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #69 on: October 12, 2009, 10:47:16 PM
Hey Tim
Thanks for the heads up and I think that a lot of here can agree that we'll still be knocking down your virtual door to get the SAK's regardless of what happens.  It might slow some of us down a bit, but we'll still be some of your most loyal customers.  I don't understand a lot about pricing and such but I do know that I've dealt with you a few times and I trust you so that's enough for me.  Whatever has to happen so that you can maintain your business is cool with me.
Everything will work out just fine, I hope
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #70 on: October 14, 2009, 10:26:53 PM
Just picked up 2 Silver Farmers in a B&M today. One for me & 1 for a Christmas present. $20 each, no tax.
N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD