Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What can the fat screwdriver and small bit driver on a Charge be replaced with?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Ok, especially in regards to the big flathead screwdriver on my leatherman charge, what is it for?

Is it for really big screws which the bit driver cannot handle?

Does anyone use it for any other purpose?

Anyway, I was wondering, if someone was to take out the small bit driver (which I suppose I would only ever use to tighten the screws on my spectacles) and the wide screwdriver, what could they be replaced with, taking into account the space they take up, and the length they need to be for the pliers to be able to close properly.

An obvious tool I can think of is the awl from the leatherman surge.

Anyone have any other ideas? Anyone ever considered doing this?

Offline Thargor

Ive thought about getting rid of the small bit driver many times, I hate it, the minute someone posts a viable alternative Im doing it, in fact I should have made this thread a month ago, a replacement for the large screwdriver would be good too.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
I'm 50/50 on this one: I have not ever used the eyeglass screwdriver. I would prefer something more useful in its place.

However, I have used the big flathead screwdriver as a pry tool on more than one occasion. It is more solid and secure than a flat bit in the bit driver would be for prying. Speaking for myself, I would not want to get rid of it.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I'd consider doing what Bob suggests, maybe chisel grinding the tip, then maybe filing a notch in the middle to use as a nail puller.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline knife-man

I wear glasses so i use the little driver for those .. and punching holes and knocking pin's out of watch strap's at my brother's wedding. i also use the Large driver for prying . Wouldn't dream of getting rid of them .
[

us Offline Splat

I've used the biggest flathead driver on my Core many times at work. Used it once for prying but was cringing the whole time waiting for it to bend or break. I then bought a mini prybar, modified it to only one end, and have used that many times since it went onto the keyring. I've never had need yet for anything smaller than the smallest flathead or the Phillips drivers on my Core. Guess I've been lucky.
Splat

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Unfortunately everyone seems to have misunderstood what I meant  :D

This is a hypothetical question, what COULD the large screwdriver and small bit driver be replaced with. These are by no means useless tools, otherwise LM would be incredibly stupid for putting them in the charge in the first place, but I was wondering if there were any tools that might prove to be more useful that could fit in their place.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Hmmm...not really answering your question here, but along the same lines: On the Charge XTi, Leatherman kept the eyeglass screwdriver, got rid of the flathead screwdriver and the scissors, then put in a second bit driver receptacle in their place.

I do not care for that arrangement at all. 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Hmmm...not really answering your question here, but along the same lines: On the Charge XTi, Leatherman kept the eyeglass screwdriver, got rid of the flathead screwdriver and the scissors, then put in a second bit driver receptacle in their place.

I do not care for that arrangement at all. 

I actually like the dual bit drivers since it allows me to carry two double sided bits without lugging around the bit kit (I use the pocket clip, not the sheath).  Since the bit drivers will handle everything except deeply recessed screws, the large flat driver is not really necessary.  The large flat driver could be used as a pry bar though this might be testing the limits of the Leatherman Warranty ;) .  I'd prefer a cat's paw instead of the large flat driver but I doubt Leatherman wants to promote the use of their tools as a pry bar.

I really don't like the small bit driver.  It’s too small for most small screws.  What size is it anyway?   Is it a 00000000000000 Phillips?!?!  :P  I've been thinking of replacing the needle-like double-ended bit with a c0cktail umbrella--possibly a more useful alternative.  :P

Even though I don't particularly care for the new scissor design (it's too small in my opinion), I would have preferred scissors rather than the small bit driver.  Leatherman uses the same exact style of scissors in the Fuse, Blast, Wave, and Charge.  Unfortunately, the scissors are designed such that they need to be on the same side of the handle as the large bit drivers on the Charge.  The thumb tab (or whatever it's called) is on the wrong side (see green shaded overlay in photo).  I suppose it was too much trouble for Leatherman to make a scissor with the thumb tab on the opposite side just for the XTi.

Switching the location of the bit driver (in order to accommodate the scissors on the other side) would also require a new design.  The large bit driver has a recess on one side to accommodate a ridge in the handle (shaded areas in photo).  In order to switch the location of the large bit driver, it would be necessary to design a new bit driver with a recess on the opposite side--again probably too much trouble for Leatherman to bother.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 04:46:39 PM by supratentorial »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
The Leatherbuddy has beat you to the folding umbrella!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2l2uAqlqg

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

The Leatherbuddy has beat you to the folding umbrella!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2l2uAqlqg

Def

I knew that I should have patented that idea!   :grin:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Now if only someone can mod a snubnose .38 into one too!

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
I was looking at the leatherman bits that came with the TTI I bought, and noticed how tiny the end of the bit labelled '1/16 .050' are.

Actually, its as small, if not smaller than the flat head, and phillips head of the small bit driver. So why on earth didnt leatherman just make a bit that could fit into the large bit driver, which had the tiny phillips and flat head screwdriver ends on it, and remove the small bit driver altogether to replace with another tool? Am I missing something obvious?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Y'know, that's a dang good question!   ???

Is there maybe some obscure application out there that requires a tiny screwdriver to reach deeply into a recess of some kind?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
well, even if there is, I know that pretty much all I would ever use the small bit driver on are tiny screws, the like of which are found on my spectacles, therefore a large bit with the tiny phillips head and flathead screwdriver ends would suit me perfectly.

But I still would have no idea what the small bit driver could be replaced with, its a small tool, both thin, and not very long at all since it has to lie under the end of the needlenose pliers.

I've decided its probably best we have a large flat head screwdriver, to tackle large screws both flat head and phillips, since I dont think I'd feel comfortable using the bit driver on large stubborn screws.

Offline Thargor

But I still would have no idea what the small bit driver could be replaced with, its a small tool, both thin, and not very long at all since it has to lie under the end of the needlenose pliers.
An Awl would be best surely?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
The reason why I wouldnt say awl, is because of Bob having made an awl bit, which should do the job perfectly, and doesnt need to take up a space in the tool. Also, if you look at the actual space on the tool taken up by the small bit driver, it is quite small, maybe half an inch.

Offline damota

There seems to be a lot of doubt with many LM owners as to the durability of the large bit adapter when it comes to putting a lot of torque on to it. There also is a limited amount of bits available for it from LM (hence the thread about altering them).
So would a standard 1/4" socket adapter not be of use. You could use sockets that are needed in your normal work, just the sizes you need. You could easily get a 1/4" hex bit adapter to fit on it so all the standard hex bit range is available to use when or if needed. You would only have to carry the odd couple of bits or/and sockets when you needed them the LM bits would be available all the time carried in the tools pouch and the special use ones would not take that much space up even if carried in your pocket. If it had a Phillips head (like the one on Gerbers (but better made)) it would still be of use to those who do not need the other function.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD