Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge ALX

au Offline ryan1976

Charge ALX
on: October 17, 2009, 01:48:48 AM
Bought a Charge ALX the other day, So far so good. Between the Surge and the ALX, i can work on just about anything with just the two Mt's. Until something comes out that can out do these two tools, I'm set for now.
Leatherman Charge ALX.
          Leatherman Skeletool.
          Leatherman Raptor.
          Leatherman Supertool 300.
          Leatherman Rebar
          Leatherman Sidekick.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Charge ALX
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:53:14 AM
Cool :tu:

Any reason you went for the ALX as opposed to the AL? Do you prefer the twin bit drivers to scissors?

I always ask this, as I'm more of a fan of the AL / TTi myself and I like to see what makes others tick :D

I used to come here a lot.

au Offline ryan1976

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:56:53 AM
The Surge has a decent pair of scissors already, Most of the work i do requires a screw driver of some sought, So the double bit driver really works for me :) :multi:
Leatherman Charge ALX.
          Leatherman Skeletool.
          Leatherman Raptor.
          Leatherman Supertool 300.
          Leatherman Rebar
          Leatherman Sidekick.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:01:06 AM
Makes sense  :)

Personally, whichever model, I think the Charge is the best MT of all, so I hope you like it half as much as I do after some use :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:41:52 AM
I agree on the Charge, I carry your SideClip everyday, but I have had a couple times I either needed the eyeglass screwdriver, or something else that I'd have had if I was carryin' my Xti. I'm sure i'll probably eventually go back to carryin' mine, just not today.
N

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 03:11:41 AM
I chose the Alx over the Al because I wanted the extra bit driver.  This gives me two flathead sizes and two phillips.  With a plain edge and the serrated edge blade plus the guthook there wasn't much of a reason for me to have
scissors.  :)  I did get the bit kit with it but don't often carry it around.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:46:44 AM
Cool :tu:

Any reason you went for the ALX as opposed to the AL? Do you prefer the twin bit drivers to scissors?

I always ask this, as I'm more of a fan of the AL / TTi myself and I like to see what makes others tick :D

Hey Dave, that an interesting discussion and could warrant a thread of its own. 

I've got an XTi myself - I got it cus it was the only Charge I was able to find here in NZ at the time.  At first I was a bit miffed I couldn't get a TTi, Al or Ti and thought I'd miss the scissors but I haven't at all.  I always carry a Gerber solstice with me, so have a pretty decent pair of choppers on there.  The two bit drivers allow you to carry double the number of bits with you without resorting to carrying them separately from the tool.  I know its easy to lob the bit cards into a wallet/pocket, but it is nice not to have to think about them at all.  There are a surprising amount of Robertson screws here in NZ, so I like being able to drop the flathead bit for a Robertson bit (I have flatheads on the SAK Ranger)

The cutting hook is a nice addition as well.  Great for cutting things like string.  It opens envelopes really well - and a bit less likely to damage the contents than a knife (though if you're sensible with a knife you should have no problems).  My main complaint about the cutting hook is it weakens the end of the serrated blade - but I've never had any trouble with that.

Last, but not least, the 'X' in XTi makes it sound cool :D   :ahhh

Rich.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:14 PM
I like the ALX also.  It allows me to carry a Phillips and standard driver AND 4 and 5 mm Allen head bit.  Saves me carrying extra Allen wrenches. 

Oh and the guthook?  That thing is awesome.  :tu:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37:03 PM
I like and carry both the Al & ALX, but the AL makes more sense. I don't really see a need for two bit drivers when you can simply chamge out the bits as needed. It's always nice to have scissors, even if its simply a backup pair.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:41:44 PM
See I don't like carrying the bit-kit so I stock one side with flathead the other side with phillips and that keeps
me "tooled."   :)

Thank goodness for variety though and Leatherman does indeed have that!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%