Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacement Skeletool Arrived Today

Offline wild_weasel

Replacement Skeletool Arrived Today
on: October 16, 2009, 03:54:46 PM
My 2nd Skeletool arrived today in IRAQ.  I lost my original Skeletool while working on a Company of Strykers here, so I hope whoever finds it puts it to good use.  I was carrying a SOG PowerLock and BenchMade 3550 for about a month before I bought the Skeletool.  It marries the features of the PowerLock and 3550 that I us the most into a single tool.  Namely the bit driver (42 different bit configurations) and single handed opening knife.  Of the tools I’ve used here; Juice S2, BenchMade 3550, Victorinox New Soldier, SOG PowerLock, and Skeletool) the Skeletool with optional Bit Kit comes out on top for overall handiness and durability.  I never thought I’d find a “pocket knife” I liked more than my Victorinox Compact.

Cheers,
W-W

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: Replacement Skeletool Arrived Today
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:46:45 PM
Congrates on the new Skeletool,and thanks again for the work that you are doing in Iraq. :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:09:51 PM
I always thought that the Skeletool was a niche product. Looks as though it your niche requirements really well WW.
I used to come here a lot.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:51:27 PM
sounds like a good set up. i like the tool also.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:49:38 AM
I'm glad to hear you like the Skeletool mate.  I really like the look of the tool, but the lack of a saw kills it as an EDC for me.  I'm glad people have different needs from MTs - it helps make the industry grow and evolve.  Cheers for sharing mate :tu:

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 03:17:20 PM
I always thought that the Skeletool was a niche product. Looks as though it your niche requirements really well WW.

I just was never fond of the lanyard/bottle opener on the Skeletool.  I'd like to see Leatherman either remove the lanyard/bottle opener on the Skeletool or add a bit driver to a Freestyle.

Wild Weasel,

Do you use the lanyard/bottle opener?  In your case it might be helpful so you can clip it onto yourselve to get at it easier when you have all your equipment on.
[

Offline wild_weasel

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 04:42:51 PM
Scissors are usually one of the must have items on my list of desired features, that I wish the Skeletool somehow incorporated. As for a saw, bottle opener, can opener and cork screw; there are no trees, we eat MREs in foil sachets, and alas no beer or wine bottles to open here in IRAQ.   To keep from losing this multi-tool I wove a lanyard from day glow yellow reflective 550 cord and clipped it to the carabineer/bottle opener thingy, which makes it easier to retrieve from the magazine pocket on the front of my 5.11 cargo pants.

The only real gripe I have with the Skeletool is that the factory edge on the knife is ragged, but an hour with a Smith’s white stone cleans that up and gives me something to do.

For the week it took my replacement Skeletool to arrive my Juice S2 made an adequate backup. 

Cheers,
W-W

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 06:50:44 PM
i love mine glad to hear you like yours too!  i might look at getting the cx some time but for now i edc and use all the time my non cx version
'

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 07:43:54 PM
Excellent!  Good news indeed! 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 09:35:48 PM
Scissors are usually one of the must have items on my list of desired features, that I wish the Skeletool somehow incorporated. As for a saw, bottle opener, can opener and cork screw; there are no trees, we eat MREs in foil sachets, and alas no beer or wine bottles to open here in IRAQ.   To keep from losing this multi-tool I wove a lanyard from day glow yellow reflective 550 cord and clipped it to the carabineer/bottle opener thingy, which makes it easier to retrieve from the magazine pocket on the front of my 5.11 cargo pants.

The only real gripe I have with the Skeletool is that the factory edge on the knife is ragged, but an hour with a Smith’s white stone cleans that up and gives me something to do.

For the week it took my replacement Skeletool to arrive my Juice S2 made an adequate backup. 

Cheers,
W-W

I've been out for 17 years so the terminology used for personal equipment has changed.  BDU's became ACU's.  Do you guys even use LBE's anymore?  From what I see, they've been replaced with tactical vests.  I wasn't sure where you would keep your Skeletool.  Tying 550 cord to it definitely gives you a lot more options. 

I would imagine you aren't eating MRE's three times a day?  When I Enlisted in 1984 MRE's were just coming out.  They were horrible.  There was no heating packages the entree's were dehydrated this or dehydrated that.  Literally the best thing were the Chicklet's, LOL  A friend of mine gave me an MRE that they are issued today.  They still suck but that are a lot better than they were.  Good luck and stay safe.  I hope you have a field kitchen someplace to get a couple hots a day.   :salute:
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:13:40 AM
Yay Skeletool! :tu: Its a lot handier than a lot of people give it credit for being. I'm still carrying mine most every day. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 06:37:34 AM
Yay Skeletool! :tu: Its a lot handier than a lot of people give it credit for being. I'm still carrying mine most every day. :)

When I saw it's industrial design, I fell in love immediately.  AND I can share my bits with the surge.  I love standards.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 06:47:09 AM

When I saw it's industrial design, I fell in love immediately.  AND I can share my bits with the surge.  I love standards.

You mean... standards that ignore/circumvent other standards that are more standard? :D

Hehe.
Got those frog legs.

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:40:19 AM

You mean... standards that ignore/circumvent other standards that are more standard? :D

Hehe.

True enough!  I'm happy with standards from the same manufacturer!  Now that is sad.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:37:03 AM

Hehe.

True enough!  I'm happy with standards from the same manufacturer!  Now that is sad.

Sadly it's the best be can hope for. :salute:
Got those frog legs.

Offline jetscream

Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 03:27:40 AM
The Skeletool CX has become my EDC.  I Spent the weekend racing my dogs and my Multitool of choice on race weekends has become the SOG B63 (Black) The V-Cutter has been great.  My first Multitool for racing was an orginal 93' PST and I moved to a Gen2 Wave.  I then tried a SOG B63 and it became my go to heavy tool.   The Wave stays in my backpack with the bit kit.  One tool I am never without is my new Squirt S4 that replaced my Micra.

Offline sappyg

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 02:39:10 AM
hang on to this one WW...
i've recently picked up a skele and i'm a big believer. i've carried mine for a week now and hardly notice it until i need it.
i

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD