Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wilderness trip

J-sews · 104 · 6932

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Wilderness trip
Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 03:55:59 AM
What are you bringing? Those freeze dried food are pretty neat, bring some for, and some water filter/purification tablets for back up.

As for clothing, what about layers, bring something you can put on outside of your hiking cloth once you get to your destination.

I've got a bunch of those backpacker's meals - just add boiling water, let sit for 8 - 10 minutes, and enjoy! ::) Hopefully they taste better than the ones I tried 15 years ago. :P I'm also taking along some of those little packets of oatmeal (the ones with raisins or apple & cinnamon, etc) and a sack of dehydrated chicken noodle soup. Packets of hot cocoa mix too. Hmmm, pretty much everything I'm taking requires hot water. :think: Hope my stove doesn't crap out. :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 03:58:08 AM
Bring some chocolate bar too, just in case you need some energy dense food.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 04:01:00 AM

Will do! :salute: I'm thinking that and a fist full of Slim Jims in case of an emergency grease dificiancy. ;) 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 05:02:51 AM
Maybe a you ought to get a mountain/expedition bike to carry the weight for you till you need to go off trail :think:

No bikes allowed. :(
But you'll have a gun, so they won't argue if you TELL them your taking your damn bike :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 05:11:44 AM
Maybe a you ought to get a mountain/expedition bike to carry the weight for you till you need to go off trail :think:

But you'll have a gun, so they won't argue if you TELL them your taking your damn bike :D

You don't know these wilderness rangers. They'd take my gun, they'd take my bike, and worst of all, they'd take my hunting license! :ahhh

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 05:14:57 AM

You don't know these wilderness rangers. They'd take my gun, they'd take my bike, and worst of all, they'd take my hunting license! :ahhh
I think your just making excuses not to get on a bicycle >:( :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 05:31:19 AM
How big is your tent?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 03:10:05 PM

I typically go for Scottish flapjacks, although I think that they're not what you think of as flapjacks.  Basically they're made from rolled oats, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup plus any extras you fancy; nuts, chocolate, dried fruit etc.  Very dense and have both sugar and carbohydrate for a quick hit and more lasting energy boost as well. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 05:12:43 PM
Do you have ducktape? PACK SOME DUCKTAPE!!!! Other than that I hope you have a great time. It sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck hunting.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 05:49:58 PM
mmm trail-mix!

I've heard for a quick/easy/light snack some people carry those little "honey" packs
you get at fast food places (or you can buy them) and carry a few in a pocket for quick energy
burst but healthy.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 06:15:24 PM
mmm trail-mix!

I've heard for a quick/easy/light snack some people carry those little "honey" packs
you get at fast food places (or you can buy them) and carry a few in a pocket for quick energy
burst but healthy.

I've heard the same but have never tried it.  Sounds good though. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 01:25:08 AM
How big is your tent?

It's a Eureka Apex that I got for my birthday :)

Amazon link: CLICKY

What do you more experienced campers think? Is it a good one? ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 01:27:01 AM
Do you have ducktape? PACK SOME DUCKTAPE!!!! Other than that I hope you have a great time. It sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck hunting.

Funny, I thought of you DTH when I was making my "list". Ducktape is right up there near the top thank you very much! :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 01:38:43 AM
Bob sounds like a whole lotta fun  8) 8).

Silly question , if you bag a deer what happens to the deer  :think: do you leave it too the local wild life  :think: do you eat some of it  :think:

BTW I am truly shocked you are not taking a LM Flair , the wine , the pate, Bob come on this is a serious over site  :P :D :D :D 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 01:48:26 AM
The Flair was my second choice Mat. :D

My first priority is survival :o but if by some unbelievable miracle I should happen to bag a deer, I'll just field dress it and string it up in a tree. (bringing along a little block & tackle pulley set for that just in case) With typical temps this time of year in the 40's F (5 C) it will keep just fine. It just needs to be high enough that the damn coyotes can't get at it. >:(

As regards slicing off a few chops for dinner, I'm thinking not. :( Leaving the hide on protects the meat underneath. Opening it up would allow air/insects/dirt to get inside while its hanging or later while being dragged to the boat or transported back home. :-\

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 02:49:54 AM
How big is your tent?

It's a Eureka Apex that I got for my birthday :)

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Amazon link: CLICKY

What do you more experienced campers think? Is it a good one? ???

I've owned several Eureka tents.  Decent tents, not the best, but usually very good bang for your buck.  The Eureka A-frame tents are my favorites for car camping.

This one looks a tad heavy for solo backpacking, but would be fine if its weight was split between two people.

If you don't mind carrying the extra weight, then this model looks fairly luxurious for a single person.

N

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 04:44:44 AM

My first priority is survival :o but if by some unbelievable miracle I should happen to bag a deer, I'll just field dress it and string it up in a tree. (bringing along a little block & tackle pulley set for that just in case) With typical temps this time of year in the 40's F (5 C) it will keep just fine. It just needs to be high enough that the damn coyotes can't get at it. >:(

As regards slicing off a few chops for dinner, I'm thinking not. :( Leaving the hide on protects the meat underneath. Opening it up would allow air/insects/dirt to get inside while its hanging or later while being dragged to the boat or transported back home. :-\
If this crappy weather holds, it should be plenty cold to keep.  Your trip sounds fun but my only issue is a lack of fire.  It is going to get pretty cold at at night and it would sure be nice to take the chill off. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 06:28:43 AM

If this crappy weather holds, it should be plenty cold to keep.  Your trip sounds fun but my only issue is a lack of fire.  It is going to get pretty cold at at night and it would sure be nice to take the chill off. 

I've been on many backpacking trips in late autumn, winter, and early spring where I never built a single fire.

Relying on fire for warmth is old fashioned, given the equipment available nowdays.  Fires often take too much time and energy to build and feed.  Fires will always have at least some impact on the environment, even if you are careful.  In heavily travelled areas, if most people are building fires it can really degrade the environment.

In many wilderness areas and in some parks fires aren't even allowed.

IMO in true wilderness the best way to go is low impact camping.  "Leave only footprints, take only photographs."

N

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 07:00:18 AM
I've been wanting the Eureka K2 forever! just hasn't been in the budget.
I've seen it for 259 one season, almost got it, if I had extra cash :ahhh

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 04:16:23 PM

I've been on many backpacking trips in late autumn, winter, and early spring where I never built a single fire.

Relying on fire for warmth is old fashioned, given the equipment available nowdays.  Fires often take too much time and energy to build and feed.  Fires will always have at least some impact on the environment, even if you are careful.  In heavily travelled areas, if most people are building fires it can really degrade the environment.

IMO in true wilderness the best way to go is low impact camping.  "Leave only footprints, take only photographs."

Making a fire is old fashion, and for me thats the whole  point.  A person could hunt during the day and sleep in a hotel at night.  You could put a propane heater in the tent, for me I like building and feeding the fire.  I agree that in heavy areas that could result in environmental impact but if a person is in the backwoods, there is a limitless supply of dead-fall and a careful fire would result in little to no impact.  Different philosophies I suppose, mines no better than yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #50 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:39 AM
Bob - what a fantastic holiday, it sounds totally awesome.

You've room for a camera I hope?
I used to come here a lot.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 07:04:11 AM

Making a fire is old fashion, and for me thats the whole  point.  A person could hunt during the day and sleep in a hotel at night.  You could put a propane heater in the tent, for me I like building and feeding the fire.  I agree that in heavy areas that could result in environmental impact but if a person is in the backwoods, there is a limitless supply of dead-fall and a careful fire would result in little to no impact.  Different philosophies I suppose, mines no better than yours.

Low environmental impact practices are the law for some federal and state wilderness areas.

So long as it's not against the law in a given area, then of course you are free to build fires to your heart's content.

I enjoy a cheerful fire myself when I'm car camping at an established campsite.

But, I rarely build a fire when backpacking.  Rather than rely on a campfire or propane heater for warmth, I rely on high tech clothes and a high tech sleeping bag.  For cooking, I rely on a high tech stove.

To each his own.

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 02:17:28 AM
I can have fun camping with a fire, or without. :) In this case though the decision has already been made by the Park Service, so that's that.

Thanks again for the advice on gear RZ. :salute: Looks like I could have done a little better on both my backpack and my tent. :-\ Ah well, perhaps next time I'll learn to ask for advice BEFORE I buy instead of after! :P :D  Ah well, worst case if the load proves to be too heavy to go far, I can always drop it all right there (wherever) and make camp. Then just do day trips from camp each day with a much lighter load. :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 03:03:37 AM
I can have fun camping with a fire, or without. :) In this case though the decision has already been made by the Park Service, so that's that.

Thanks again for the advice on gear RZ. :salute: Looks like I could have done a little better on both my backpack and my tent. :-\ Ah well, perhaps next time I'll learn to ask for advice BEFORE I buy instead of after! :P :D  Ah well, worst case if the load proves to be too heavy to go far, I can always drop it all right there (wherever) and make camp. Then just do day trips from camp each day with a much lighter load. :)

Your gear is fine for a hunting trip.  You're not going to be through hiking the length of the Appalachian Trail.   

Just like with multis and knives, there will always be outdoor gear available with slightly cooler features for a little more money.

Probably best if you learn to be content with gear that's merely "good enough" rather than get involved in pursuit of the the "perfect" tent, backpack, etc.

That can get time consuming and very expensive.  ;>

N

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 03:16:14 AM
Sounds like a fun trip Bob :cheers: Glad to see you are relying on a SuperTool ;) :D :D :D Hope you bag a monster buck :tu:

Don't know if this would fall under the no fire rule but it would be a much lighter alternative to a propane stove http://www.trailstove.com/winter/index2.html Never tried this 1 but it looks almost full proof :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 03:20:49 AM
Whoa, that looks pretty cool Ponch :salute:

I might need to try it next year :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: October 31, 2009, 11:54:10 PM
Well boys and girls, I'm off at first light tomorrow. The weather forecast is for light winds, so the ferry boat should be on schedule. A good thing too, as with all my crap on board she'll be riding dangerously low in the water. :D

Now I expect the whole bunch of you to behave while I'm gone, you hear? If I read about anything more dramatic than the arrival of Ben's son when I get back, there's going to be a good twakking for all of you! >:( :twak: Lets remember this place is about fine tools, bright lights, and sharp knives, with an occasional buxom lass discussion thrown in for good measure. Yay multitool.org!

See you all in a week!

Bob :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:56:29 PM by J-sews »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #57 on: October 31, 2009, 11:56:30 PM
Good luck, don't get eaten by bear or wolves.  :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: November 01, 2009, 12:46:41 AM
Have fun Bob and be sure to take lots of pics for us. :tu:

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: November 01, 2009, 12:51:01 AM
Have a great time Bob. Can't wait to hear all about your adventure when you get back.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD