Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I think Leatherman has won me back

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
I think Leatherman has won me back
on: October 19, 2009, 10:07:50 PM
So, a few days ago I was considering buying a new multi-tool. I wanted something lighter and less expensive than my Spirit but I wanted a saw so my LM Kick was out too. I was also seriously considering buying an SOG Pocket PowerPlier.

I went camping this weekend and using the saw reinforced my desire to have a saw on my EDC MT. I still like my Spirit and the Swisstool but both are expensive and heavy. Plus, due to their shiny finishes I always feel terrible when I have to use them as a hammer. I've done it but it makes me cringe. Plus I'm not real happy with Victorinox anyway but that's a different thread. 

Well yesterday I was at Lowe's and they had a LM Wave. My "impulse power" kicked in and I got it and brought it home. Honestly, after playing with it for a while I didn't see what the big deal was. It was uncomfortable, heavy for the amount of tools you got and the scissors were nail shredders getting out. I was bummed, should I get the SOG, or what should I do? I don't really like getting multi-tools w/o being able to play with them and hold them so I was real shy about the SOG. My last experience with an SOG product was underwhelming.

So I took the Wave back to Lowe's and was looking around and I saw it. The LM Blast. It had the same tools as the Wave(minus the serrated blade which ain't a big deal for me) and it was $25 cheaper. It also had a saw and I knew it was over an ounce lighter than the Wave so I picked it up.

I brought it home and I am in love. It's inexpensive enough that I won't freak out if I lose it but it has everything I need. It's big for pocket carry but it is reasonable and it won't tear up my pocket like the Wave would have done, plus I can get the tools out w/o tearing up my fingernails.

Plus, with the blades, I simply don't trust liner locks as much as other locks so that makes me happier too. Granted I still have to open the tool to get the blades deployed but that feature isn't worth $25 to me. When it's cold I doubt my thumbs could have flipped them out anyway. The only thing I wish I could change would be to replace the small bit driver with an awl. Why can't Leatherman realize an awl is extremely useful?

This multi-tool is a wonderful compromise of size, weight, performance and cost. As far as I'm concerned it's a much better value than the Swisstools and the Wave, and MUCH more comfortable to carry and use than the Wave. I have to admit the Swisstools still have it beat when it comes to pure ergonomics but they're pricey.

So, until further notice, I'm a LM guy.

Oh, by the way, my LM Kick has rust on it.  :ahhh
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I think Leatherman has won me back
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:34:26 PM
 :tu:  Excellent.  I'm glad you were able to change your mind.  As a fellow Swisstool Guy, I think you would have been very disappointed by the Pocket Powerplier.

It sounds like the Blast fits your needs perfectly.  :multi:
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:57:17 PM
Glad you like your Blast.  :multi:
"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:08:26 AM
 :tu: Glad the Blast fits your needs dth :) It is a good compromise in alot of ways which does make it a very versatile MT :cheers: When I EDC'd mine it never let me down :salute: I just went to the next bigger size of multi's :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:33:41 AM by Poncho65 »

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:01 AM
Congrats on your new Blast, DTH.  :tu:  The Blast is on my wishlist as well (Fuse too since it combines both the small size of the Kick and the locking components of the Blast.)
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:21 AM
Wouldn't you know just this weekend I traded my Blast for a Wave. (so are we polar opposites?) :ahhh

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:20:26 AM
wow, if I find a blow up doll I wonder if Swiss Man would trade...never mind :twak:

I understand a lot of what your saying DTH, good you found what you wanted bro :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:06:35 PM
It's good to see that LM has won you back and that you like the blast mate.  :tu:
I'm back!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:39 PM
Good to hear you like it mate :tu:

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
The Blast is a great choice DTH,this is what I did to a Fuse that you can also do to your Blast,every Multi should have an awl. :salute:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:38:17 PM by Smitty44 »

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:18:58 PM
I really like my blast too, I think of it as modern day pst. :cheers:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:15 PM
One thing that surprises me is how long the blade is on the Blast. I didn't even realize it until my Mother-in-law said that "the blade on that thing is as long as my paring knife". I didn't realize it was that long until I compared it to the blade on my Kick and it is at least a good 1/2" longer.

Another thing I noticed is the date stamps. On 1 handle it says 0109 and the other says 1008. So I guess have of this MT sat around the factory for 3 months.

But anyway, I still love it after a few days. THIS is what a good inexpensive MT should be. Nothing fancy but enough tools to cover most jobs.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 03:13:29 AM
The Blast is a great choice DTH,this is what I did to a Fuse that you can also do to your Blast,every Multi should have an awl. :salute:
(Image removed from quote.)

I love a good awl.  Makes a new belt hole and reams out that newly cut tubing.  Great tool.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 06:37:15 AM
I think the blast is under rated

us Offline David

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 07:54:10 AM
Blast is a good tool. Glad you like it DTH.   

Smitty thats a good mod.     :tu:     I agree every MT needs an awl.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 09:14:07 PM
The Blast is a good, solid little MT.  It's the one I keep in my car as a backup, or for when I "don't have a MT with me."

Though I do have to admit that, if I have to choose one or the other as a all-day work tool, I'll pick the Wave.  I had the same problems as you did with a 25th Anniversary model.  However, I picked up a standard at Lowes, and all those problems were solved.  Prior to getting my Surge and ALX, I used the living h*ll out of that Wave, and had no trouble with it.

:multi:
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31