Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SwissTool X versus Spirit?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Victorinox SwissTool X versus Spirit?
on: September 22, 2006, 02:22:00 PM
I am considering the purchase of either a Victorinox SwissTool X or a Spirit and I know they are in different size and weight categories.

Questions:

- Does the current version SwissTool X have a hard wire cutter?   The one I saw in a store did not, but I thought I saw a photo showing a hard wire cutter on a SwissTool X similar to what the Spirit has.

- Which scissors work better: the SwissTool X, the Spirit, or the Micra?

- What has better screwdrivers: SwissTool X or the Spirit?

- Better file?

Any other comments on SwissTool X vs. Spirit?

Thanks!
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Victorinox SwissTool X versus Spirit?
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 06:47:33 PM

The pliers in the middle are the older style which I find better for cutting wire , the newer style like the Spirit kind of has two cut outs in the jaws for wire Which i find more tricky to position the wire on . With the older style you just shove the wire at the back and cut . Also the main reason I prefer the older style is the handles are a little closer together when open .

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:03:03 PM
Does the current version SwissTool X have a hard wire cutter?   The one I saw in a store did not, but I thought I saw a photo showing a hard wire cutter on a SwissTool X similar to what the Spirit has.

The SwissTool X does indeed have a hard wire cutter.  This was one of the additions made hortly after the first generation tools his the store shelves.  A simple way to check is whether the holes on the plier spring are round or slotted to accept the corkscrew.  I believe this change was instituted at the same time.

Which scissors work better: the SwissTool X, the Spirit, or the Micra?

The Micra is based on scissors and so the blades are longer and the springs are part of the main part of the unit.  All in all, I would have to say that the Micra scissors are probably better than the other two as a result.  As for which set of scissors is better between the Spirit and the STX, I put them pretty close, with the slight edge on the STX since they are a hair bigger and use more standard Victorinox scissors making replacement parts easiest to find.  Of course, the spring on the Spirit scissor is a bigger hunk of metal, so probably would be less prone to breaking.

What has better screwdrivers: SwissTool X or the Spirit?

Both tools use pretty well standard Victorinox designs for the screwdrivers and various other tools and so they are going to be pretty well the same.

Better file?

Again I think I am going to have to suggest the STX here simply because of the larger size.  Both files are excellent and quite aggressive, but as with saws, more cutting area is desireable.

All in all, I think you should look at them more as being the same tool in two different sizes rather than competitors.  Their tool compliment is very similar and size is really the only major difference.  The Spirit is also available with a small ratchet tool which is very handy as well.  All in all I would suggest looking at the tools you have and deciding which size you prefer overall.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:20:50 PM
The SwissTool X does indeed have a hard wire cutter.  This was one of the additions made hortly after the first generation tools his the store shelves.  A simple way to check is whether the holes on the plier spring are round or slotted to accept the corkscrew.  I believe this change was instituted at the same time.

Def I have two Swisstools one with round holes and the other sloted but with the same old pliers . I think the change happened a little after that .I know you have at least two swisstools , are they both the same plier heads ? One things for sure you cant as far as I know get a newer plier head with round holes in the springs but you can get a slotted spring with old plier head . Hope this makes sense .

Dunc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:27:02 PM by Defender »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:24:02 PM
For some reason ive really stuffed up the quotes  :(  And the edit feature doesnt want to play

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:28:33 PM
Your quote looks fine to me...  ;)

As for the plier head/hole configuration, I will defer to your judgement and obvious proof.  I thought it was at the same time, but I have been known to make mistakes!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 10:35:32 PM
dunc5 and Defender,

Thanks for the information.  Hope you don't mind more questions.

I have seen both nylon and cordura belt cases sold for the Swisstool.  An eBay seller claims the nylon is better than the cordura case.

- What are the differences between the two cases?

- Does each case employ a metal snap?

- Which one is "better" and why?

- Which one comes standard with the Swisstool X?

All the variations are confusing.  The only store in my area with a Swisstool has a very old model so I must obtain information via the web instead of actually seeing the cases or the tools.

Thanks!

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 10:46:55 PM
Your quote looks fine to me...  ;)

As for the plier head/hole configuration, I will defer to your judgement and obvious proof.  I thought it was at the same time, but I have been known to make mistakes!
Def

The newer pliers didnt have ' VICTORINOX ' stamped on them just the badge . Heres the proof ........

Also the newer pliers were ' handed ' the other way  , look at my earlier pic of the three and you will see what I meen .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 12:37:12 AM
I don't see any difference in quality between the two case types.  I think that the cordura is standard since I've had three cordura sheaths with three different SwissTools.
I have a nylon case with the Spirit and it seems just as sturdy, just a little slimmer.
The cordura sheaths have the metal snap and the nylon one I have for the Spirit has velcro.  I don't know if the nylon ST sheath has velcro or a snap, but Duncan might have a few different variations- he's the SwissTool nut!
And if we minded questions, this wouldn't be much of a forum, now would it? :P
Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 12:45:46 AM
All the Swisstools bought in England come with either Nylon or leather sheaths both with velcrow , no metal snap shuts  >:(  I feel the velcrow doesnt last very long .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 12:55:28 AM
No snaps at all?  What, are they dangerous too?
Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 02:44:45 AM
I don't see any difference in quality between the two case types.  I think that the cordura is standard since I've had three cordura sheaths with three different SwissTools.
I have a nylon case with the Spirit and it seems just as sturdy, just a little slimmer.
The cordura sheaths have the metal snap and the nylon one I have for the Spirit has velcro.  I don't know if the nylon ST sheath has velcro or a snap, but Duncan might have a few different variations- he's the SwissTool nut!
And if we minded questions, this wouldn't be much of a forum, now would it? :P
Def

As Def said, Cordura with snap is standard issue with the ST. As an after market item the Cordura is about half the cost but I personally like it better. Vic has converted almost everything over to velcro but I still prefer the old snapero.
T

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 08:55:08 PM
Thanks for answering my questions.  I ordered a Victorinox Swisstool X today.   There may be a Spirit in my future, too. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:22:12 PM
Are the snap sheaths still available, or are they available seperately?

I find Vic's velcro to be better than some- my Spirit still seals quite well, but it's still only velcro.

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:49:03 PM

I received the Victorinox SwissTool X today.  The pliers looks like the middle sample in dunc5's photo with 3 pliers, so this is an older version according to his explanation.  There is a slight indentation at the rear of the wire cutters which is different from the 2 pronounced bevels on the Spirit.

The black nylon holster has a metal snap with a red Vic logo on the outside.  Huzzah!

* swisstool0.jpg (Filesize: 8.74 KB)
swisstool1.jpg
* swisstool1.jpg (Filesize: 32.19 KB)
swisstool2.jpg
* swisstool2.jpg (Filesize: 34.02 KB)
swisstool-case.jpg
* swisstool-case.jpg (Filesize: 27.69 KB)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 11:06:26 PM
Great pics , what do you think of it so far , also has it a round hole or a slot on the springs ?

Dunc

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 12:38:39 AM
Great pics , what do you think of it so far , also has it a round hole or a slot on the springs ?

Thanks for the compliment.  I don't have a camera so I use a flatbed scanner to scan images.

My SwissTool X pliers springs have a slot, as shown below.

The SwissTool's fit and finish are impressive -- more so than my non-Victorinox tools.  It weighs 1 ounce more than the SOG PowerLock, one of my heaviest multitools.

I've only had the SwissTool for 2 hours, but put it to work removing a large AC line cord from an electric stove.  The slotted screwdriver on the SwissTool X is combined with a bottle opener so it requires more clearance than the same size screwdriver on my old Leatherman SuperTool. 

I began loosening a screw on the line cord's clamp using the multitools, however it was taking too much time due to clearance problems so I finished the job using an ordinary screwdriver.

The knife came sharp, although not scary sharp.  The SuperTool's file looks better than the SwissTool's file, but I haven't used the SwissTool's file yet.   The SwissTool's scissors are more comfortable to use than the skinny PowerLock scissors.

I will be EDC'ing the SwissTool in the coming weeks to see how it compares with the SOG PowerLock and my old SuperTool.  Perhaps I can rely on the SwissTool alone so I won't have to carry a Micra and full sized knife in addition to a multitool.

If the SwissTool becomes uncomfortably heavy to carry, I might get a Spirit.
swisstool-hole.jpg
* swisstool-hole.jpg (Filesize: 22.69 KB)
supertool-vs-st-screwdriver.jpg
* supertool-vs-st-screwdriver.jpg (Filesize: 19.08 KB)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:41:47 AM by parnass »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 02:38:10 PM
Just thought I would post these two pics of the old and new Swisstool plier heads , old version is in the front

The distance the pliers open is quite a bit more on the older ones .

Dunc

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 03:27:46 PM
Dunc,

Thanks for posting the old vs. new pliers photos.   After reading the comments about old vs. new SwissTools, I have no regret over having the older version.  I've been carrying the SwissTool X daily and it has been working out very well so far.  I've been purposely using the SwissTool's knife blade instead of the separate knife I've been carrying.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%