Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stropping the LM surge's main blade

Offline FrankenPC

Stropping the LM surge's main blade
on: October 20, 2009, 06:57:56 PM
 :tu:

So, I got a VERY reasonably priced stropping leather from EBAY (10$).  What should I sharpen first?  Why the main blade on my Surge of course!

After only about 20 strops on both sides, I was able to SHAVE the edge of a post it note.  I'm talking cutting hair thin ribbons off a single post it!  LM really did a nice job honing the edge.  A little stropping and you can take it all the way to home plate.

I'm at work, otherwise I'd post some picts.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Stropping the LM surge's main blade
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:06:09 PM

Can't see why that should be a problem... :pok: :pok:  :D

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:09:52 PM

Can't see why that should be a problem... :pok: :pok:  :D

Cause it's at home :cry:  And I miss it...

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:12:02 PM
I find a good stropping really finshes off a well sharpened blade.  Gives it that extra 'pop' than a non stropped blade doesn't have.  I got a great tip from my good ol chum Ray (mears):

After stropping, run the knife along the top of a car window (the domed top of the glass).  Good old Mears strikes again; I find that adds to a sharpened blade also.

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:10:26 AM
I find a good stropping really finshes off a well sharpened blade.  Gives it that extra 'pop' than a non stropped blade doesn't have.  I got a great tip from my good ol chum Ray (mears):

After stropping, run the knife along the top of a car window (the domed top of the glass).  Good old Mears strikes again; I find that adds to a sharpened blade also.

Interesting.  Get's rid of any left over metal flange.  Thanks!

Offline cadjak

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:34:07 AM

Does doing the car window trick do anything different, or better, than a $2 ceramic rod would? That's a genuine question, not meant to be as snotty as it came out, when I typed it.  :tu:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 02:44:10 AM
Not really, but I don't usually carry a ceramic rod on me, but I am usually always driving somewhere.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:21:54 PM
Stropping a blade really brings out a sharpness I can't get just with stones.
[

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:46:10 PM

Does doing the car window trick do anything different, or better, than a $2 ceramic rod would? That's a genuine question, not meant to be as snotty as it came out, when I typed it.  :tu:

I've seen on Youtube experts sharpening knives using a block of wood and simply drawing the knife across the wood using only the weight of the knife itself.  So, there are a variety of ways to clean the burrs off.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%