Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge ALX Large Bit Driver X2?

00 Offline 1jump2many

Charge ALX Large Bit Driver X2?
on: October 23, 2009, 12:42:38 AM
What is the purpose of the Charge ALX having two large bit drivers?  It would be impossible to use them both at the same time and swapping out bits is a snap.  I found it sort of odd that Leatherman did that.  Anyone know of a practical reason for it? 
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Charge ALX Large Bit Driver X2?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:44:15 AM
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:45:32 AM
Think of it this way, you can have 2 different pairs of drivers set up and ready to go, like 2 different phillips and 2 different flats.  If you only had one you would have to carry the bit kit as well to have the variety and you would need to swap them over as well.  I personally like the 2 bit drivers.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:15 AM
The bit kit does fit in the sheath with the tool though, and you gain scissors in the trade off!

It's clearly a preference thing. And Ben's wrong :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:12:09 AM
 :D

If you're doing a job though requiring say a phillips and an allen key, I'd much prefer to have the drivers pre-loaded with the 2 rather than chopping and changing between.  Scissors are nice, but not really a necessity for me.
I'm back!!

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:20 AM
Gotta agree with Benner this time! (Makes up for my Spyderco crack last night) :tu:
N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 01:37:19 AM
Gotta agree with Benner this time! (Makes up for my Spyderco crack last night) :tu:

I'll take you off the ban list for now then.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 01:44:27 AM
Alright!!! I get to stick around! :ahhh
N

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:23:08 AM
The leather sheath does have the bit kit slot in it though.  I never realized the amount of time having two bit drivers saves as opposed to quickly swapping bits out,  :pok:  It's a nice tool though, I just think the idea of having two bit drivers is a bit of a novelty.
[

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 06:03:25 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with the two bit drivers.  It's nice not the have to change around the bits all the time.  I see alot of robertsons out here, and I like having one pre loaded, whilst still having the essential phillips still in - the flatheads sit on the SAK.  Yeah, its easy to change the bits out, but sometimes I just can't be arsed :)

I wish they'd replace the mini bit driver with an awl (or scissors on the ALX).

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:24 AM
The leather sheath does have the bit kit slot in it though.  I never realized the amount of time having two bit drivers saves as opposed to quickly swapping bits out,  :pok:  It's a nice tool though, I just think the idea of having two bit drivers is a bit of a novelty.

Not everyone sheath carries though. When I had mine, I used the pocket clip.
I'm back!!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:34:34 PM

Not everyone sheath carries though. When I had mine, I used the pocket clip.

Hmmm........that is a good point.  Touché, now I've seen a ray of practical light.  :tu: 
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 12:39:16 AM
Wow, from me?!?!  That has to be a first!  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 12:46:40 AM
Lol.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 02:47:51 AM
I don't sheath carry my ALX unless I have to.  I have never liked the Charge sheaths...Sorry Dave.  I keep the bit card in my wallet, and pocket clip the charge.  I run into a lot of Allan screws around the house, so one has an allen and the other keeps a phillips.  I'll soon mod the flathead into an awl since I usually always carry a SAK on me as well.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 05:14:57 PM
Here I am, reviving yet another old thread!

I just ordered an ALX because it had the two bit drivers.  I work at a hotel, and the guest room door locks have a tamper proof t20 on them.  I ground down a TP T20 bit so it would fit the LM bit driver in my skeletool, but then I was left with a problem.  Do I leave it in or do I leave the very necessary phillips in?  Enter the ALX, now I can have my phillips and t20 loaded up all the time, and my flathead and scissors reside in whatever SAK I have that day. 

Offline Kmarr

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 05:45:50 PM
I like the idea of 2 bit drivers cuz i don't sheath carry, making it hard to carry the LM bit kit.  If I were to get a charge again, I'd get the XTI or ALX- put a wave plier head and scissors in it. Then it would be perrrrrrfect :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 05:47:45 PM
I am going to buy a blast or a broken wave and take the scissors out of it to put in my ALX in exchange for the can opener.  I never need to open a can, but scissors are awesome.

EDIT: and if I did need to open a can, one of my many SAK's would do the job much better.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 05:56:01 PM
I am going to buy a blast or a broken wave and take the scissors out of it to put in my ALX in exchange for the can opener.  I never need to open a can, but scissors are awesome.

EDIT: and if I did need to open a can, one of my many SAK's would do the job much better.

I actually think I might have put up a thread in the "tools needed" for a broken wave because I was planning to do just that.  I always cut headlines out of newspapers, make hillarious quotes and put them on my brother's door. scissors would save me a trip to the drawer so I can keep my creative juices flowing :D

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 06:25:48 PM
Now I'm getting interested in modding an ALX so keep updating your progress.

I started getting buyers remorse a while after I bought the ALX.  I read some reviews with people knocking the redundancy of it and shortcomings etc, etc. I have since recovered...

Well I am in canada and there are very few flatheads but everything uses robertson bits.  Show me a multi with a robertson! So now I carry a double phillips and a double robertson in my alx and pair that with a Micra for fine details, flatheads, and scissors. This pair up let me install and wire a keypad for a security door yesterday.  I actually use the canopener for flatheads too at times, especially on wall plates and light switch covers.

If I had scissors instead of the canopener and a large flat screwdriver (like the TTi) instead of the eyeglass screw driver, I would never put the tool down.  If anyone ever wants to send a couple parts my way or wants to mod it for me, feel free :D

I dont like to carry the bit kit.  It causes the belt sheat to stick out and bulk up just enough to always no its there.  without it I forget I have it.  I might pocket carry the bit kit, or maybe try the leather sheath as it looks less bulky. But I do feel powerful with a set of hex bits and flats etc on my belt.  But I don't need to be prepared for everything.  Robertson and phillips are enough.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:07 PM
it's gonna be a while because I don't have the cash to pick up the parts tool or the Kick clips that I need to disassemble the ALX. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%