Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Re: MINI Problem

WH867 · 35 · 2516

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:29 AM
I've been doing a fair amount of restoring MINIs lately, specifically salvaging good parts from broken tools and have noticed a few things about them that I hadn't picked up on before....

@Dennis - is the offending MINI plier head the same as a PST head in size? Or is it very slightly smaller?
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 02:58:02 AM
I've been doing a fair amount of restoring MINIs lately, specifically salvaging good parts from broken tools and have noticed a few things about them that I hadn't picked up on before....

@Dennis - is the offending MINI plier head the same as a PST head in size? Or is it very slightly smaller?
Kmarr answers a question not directed at him :D -

Speak of the devil, right after posting I looked at my mini and pst for comparison... The mini is a tad smaller, but the pivot area and depth are the same.
Were they produced in different sizes?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 03:02:08 AM
Yup, that's what I'm getting at.

I think that some (later) MINIs have PST plier heads that have been ground down, as opposed to others that were cast smaller - but it's hard to state that as a fact based on the relative few that I have / have seen. If a PST plier head had been ground down by hand, it could explain some inconsistencies in the tolerances.

Just a theory really, but it fits well :)
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 03:17:53 AM

Never looked at that. I can't tell from the pics I took. It was an early mini
Dennis

Offline Kmarr

Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 04:35:14 AM
Yup, that's what I'm getting at.

I think that some (later) MINIs have PST plier heads that have been ground down, as opposed to others that were cast smaller - but it's hard to state that as a fact based on the relative few that I have / have seen. If a PST plier head had been ground down by hand, it could explain some inconsistencies in the tolerances.

Just a theory really, but it fits well :)
This theory can become solid stone in 2 methods:
1. write to leatherman
2. conduct and independednt study examining all the minis on this forum, determine production dates, create complicated flow charts and graphs, etc

I like the second one! :D lets proceed with a new thread

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD