Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm curious, what would you have done?

Benner · 98 · 6167

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
I'm curious, what would you have done?
on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:26 AM
Let me set the scene....

It's a Friday night and you are living in a house with your pregnant wife (who is currently ill) and your 2 children.  Your house is in a quiet area of a town that backs onto a large open field, near no drinking places or on any routes to train stations or anything, and only people that live near you or visiting those near you would really be going past your house at any given time.  At 2.30am, someone starts slowly knocking on your front door, on and off for about 5 mins. 

I'm curious as this in fact happened to me last night and after telling people about it, many people have had different ideas about what they would have done.  So, what would you do given that scenario?
I'm back!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: I'm curious, what would you have done?
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:30 AM
I woulda woke up my 160 lb Ridgeback, who is fairly cranky, and make sure he's out and about in the house.  Then I'd call out a window if the somebody needs help. If no answer, I'd call the cops (and here at least, I'd wake my wife and load a gun--she's a better shot).

If someone needed help, I'd hate to turn them away,  :angel:

but if someone's looking to be an ass, well, Joey doesn't like asses.  Remember, take a bite outta crime.  >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:29:06 AM
I woulda woke up my 160 lb Ridgeback, who is fairly cranky, and make sure he's out and about in the house.  Then I'd call out a window if the somebody needs help. If no answer, I'd call the cops (and here at least, I'd wake my wife and load a gun--she's a better shot).

If someone needed help, I'd hate to turn them away,  :angel:

but if someone's looking to be an ass, well, Joey doesn't like asses.  Remember, take a bite outta crime.  >:D

Just to be clear, the knocking was slow, and "calm" if that makes any sense.  It wasn't frantic-like like you would expect from a person in need.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:32:11 AM
Oh, and it went on for 5+ mins.  If it was a needy person surely they would have gone elsewhere in that time?
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 12:43:25 AM
Did you see who it was through a window either when they were there or as they left?
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 12:45:30 AM
Because of the angle between my bedroom window and the front door I couldn't quite see.  They obviously walked off, but they either went across my front garden and didn't use the path, or they went into my back garden.
I'm back!!

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:49:13 AM
Something similar happened to me about 6 years ago. I came around the house (went out a different door from the one they were knocking on) with a tactical light & my USP .45 drawn down on them. (I've got a touch of PTSD) It was 4:30 in the mornin' & I just fell asleep before3 the knocking started. It was an older lady, she looked 70, but was dressed like a clubbin' 18 year old. She asked me to give her a ride up the road, I refused & sent her walkin' on her own. She was obviously mentally ill (which is my profession) & kept inchin' towards me even after I drew down on her. Really thought I was gonna have to put her down. She stopped comin' at me & went walkin' down the road. I called the law & described her to them. She apparently was a resident at a group home about 10 miles away stat houses severely mentally ill & chronic substance abusers. Apparently she had been coaxed out of the home to trade sex for drugs. When they got the sex they wanted, they simply sat her out to hoof it home. Feel bad for her in a way, but I've gotta look after me & mine.
N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 12:54:26 AM
Well I'm in the good ol' UK where you aren't allowed to defend yourself  ::), but I did consider loading up my air rifle as the look and sound alone would have probably scared someone off.  Thing is, I would have got in more trouble with the law than the guy doing the knocking, even if he was wanting to bash me over the head and rob me blind.
I'm back!!

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 12:56:15 AM
Yeah I'm aware of your location, but I've seen Hot fuzz! I know y'all are packin' heat like Rambo! I'm just pickin', not answerin' the door is probably your best option when the law isn't on your side.
N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:56:54 AM
Yeah I'm aware of your location, but I've seen Hot fuzz! I know y'all are packin' heat like Rambo!

Only Flash is apparently.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16:12 AM
I would have done the same thing as Bowman--walked around the front of the house with Springfield and flashlight in hand.

I live out in the country, so someone would have to come way out of their way to come knockin' on my door.

If I were in the UK, I have no idea what I'd have done...
- Terry

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 01:28:21 AM
My very loud neighbours came back from the pub last night at about 2am, yelling to each other, clearly p*ssed out of their brains. Mother, daughter and son. They do it a lot.

Not exactly the same situation as yours Ben, but what I did was open the front door and ask them to shut the f*ck up. It worked too, which is actually kind of unusual. They really are the loudest bunch of tossers I've ever heard. I can hear them now, "talking" to each other like their quarter of a mile apart  ::)

Sounds like you got it right in your situation though Ben. It could have been kids mucking about, or it could have been more serious. If they went away, it was possibly the best outcome.

I don't agree with the "can't defend yourself" argument though - you can I believe, use reasonable force to defend your person or property. Self-defence is a legitimate concept in the UK.
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 01:30:48 AM
Ok I was probably a bit OTT with that comment, but with todays "technicalities" and all the other BS, you have to be bloody careful about what you do do.
I'm back!!

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 01:32:37 AM
On a different note, if they were casing the place & thought you weren't home at that time, maybe they'll come back & attempt to enter. Then they're bought & paid for.
N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 01:33:58 AM
I do have a Kukri next to the bed for such events.  >:D :D
I'm back!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 01:34:44 AM
That sounds kind of scary, Ben.  When I was a teenager something similar happened to me while my parents were out of town and my sister was at a friend's house.  I had a couple of dogs in the house so it was a little different, but I went through and started randomly turning on lights in the house and turning them off again, like there were a couple of different people home...ya know?  I didn't go near the window because I didn't want anyone to know I was home by myself.  I knew where all the weapons were and I had a baseball bat at hand just in case.  And I kept the dogs in the house with me.  When the knocking stopped, I made sure that the curtains for the big picture window and the sliding glass door to the deck were closed and then holed up in the living room.  I called a neighbor and asked them if they could see anyone sneaking around the house.  

Wow, that just sounds hinky to me.  Here in my apartment complex random people, usually drunk, sometimes start knocking and get pissed off when I don't open the door but again if the dogs bark they go away pretty quickly.  Are you wife and kids ok?  I'm sorry your wife doesn't feel well, I hope she feels better soon.  :D  
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 01:38:59 AM
My wife was pretty freaked out TBH as it wasn't the fact that there was knocking, but how they knocked.  Like I said, it was very slow and as the wife described "creepy".  My only real concern was that someone was casing the joint and was going to break in the back door thinking no one was in.  I had loaded myself up just in case though.  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 01:40:27 AM
Ok I was probably a bit OTT with that comment, but with todays "technicalities" and all the other BS, you have to be bloody careful about what you do do.

I know where you're coming from. Waving the Kukri about might be going a bit far :D
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 01:41:35 AM
At the time that seemed like the best option.  :D
I'm back!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:10 AM
Good for you.  That honestly would have freaked me out.  I'm glad everyone is ok though.  Honestly there just isn't a right way to handle things like that.  I've heard, turn on all the lights or leave all of them off or call the cops or make noise or be quiet....I guess it just depends.  Normal people seem to be overly paranoid and criminals seem to be less concerned with getting caught and trouble makers just don't care because they figure that if they do get caught then they'll be able to get out of it especially if someone like you defends themselves.  it's crazy and scary.  I think you did the right thing.  
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 01:45:43 AM
You could have done this too...but I think it might be a little over the top.  :)  Excuse the language he uses. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHqTW4IjnM

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 01:48:50 AM
I thought that was reasonable myself.  :D
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 01:50:37 AM
No guns here, so tough one. I'd probably sneak to a window that gives me a clear view of front and anyone walking away from the door, with my machete in hand. Oh and my brightest flashlight too. The said position also allow me to sneak up on anyone who busts in from behind. Actually I do that with any knock in day time too for ones that I suspect to be salesman or similar, without the machete/flashlight part obviously.

You know that makes wonder, if someone actually busts in, would I be lop their head off with one swing from my machete?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:54:36 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:10 AM
I recently read of a non-lethal option that makes some sense to me...

A small Fire extinguisher...a face full of fire extinguishing chemicals would make it had to see and breathe and you have an impact weapon in hand should the need arise.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:43 AM
No guns here, so tough one. I'd probably sneak to a window that gives me a clear view of front and anyone walking away from the door, with a machete in hand. The said position also allow me to sneak on on anyone bust in from behind.

You know that makes wonder, if someone actually bust in, would I be lop their head off with one swing from my machete?

Sadly I don't have such a window.  :(
I'm back!!

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 01:54:18 AM
No guns here, so tough one. I'd probably sneak to a window that gives me a clear view of front and anyone walking away from the door, with a machete in hand. The said position also allow me to sneak on on anyone bust in from behind.

You know that makes wonder, if someone actually bust in, would I be lop their head off with one swing from my machete?

I have peep holes installed in my front doors.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 01:56:23 AM

I can't actually see people standing at my front door either, but can see anybody leaving unless they walk directly to my neighbor's door.

My front door is made of panel glass so can't go watch them from there lol.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 01:58:21 AM

I have peep holes installed in my front doors.

Mine are frosted glass so they would have seen me looking.
I'm back!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 02:06:41 AM
For me...Mossberg 590 and i'm not answering the door. Sorry but living in Houston you gotta look out for yourself. Course i'd call the law incase someone needed help. You opening the door can lead to a world of hurt.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 02:07:06 AM
I have two very large dogs and many weapons so I don't mind answering the door at pretty well any time.  I would suggest that you look into  a small camera to monitor the door from a safe spot in the house.  There are many wireless camera systems that can be monitored from your laptop.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%