Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm curious, what would you have done?

Benner · 98 · 6372

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: I'm curious, what would you have done?
Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 02:09:03 AM
I have two very large dogs and many weapons so I don't mind answering the door at pretty well any time.  I would suggest that you look into  a small camera to monitor the door from a safe spot in the house.  There are many wireless camera systems that can be monitored from your laptop.

Def

That is certainly something I have considered today.  Also a motion sensored light for the back garden.
I'm back!!

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 02:18:34 AM
I was going to suggest a plaster statue of Mike...dressed as a garden Gnome...

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:30 AM
What, so I could hear them laughing before they got to my front door?  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 02:20:34 AM
What, so I could hear them laughing before they got to my front door?  :D
Exactly! :tu: :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 02:33:44 AM
Installing a small camera helps in two ways;

1. you can see who's out there.

and

2. you get to use a multitool to install it!

Another question...were these deliberate human knocks, or could it be a knocking of an animal outside the door?  You said it only lasted about 5 minutes so it wasn't as if the wind was knocking something against the door, that would have lasted longer, but you also didn't see anyone walking away. 

You should also ask a neighbor if they heard anything at their place.  Police alerting people of something serious at that time would have a cruiser outside with flashing lights..
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 02:35:33 AM
No doubt at all that it was a person.  These were deliberate, slow, evenly paced knocks, done, and then after no response was given, done again.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 02:41:52 AM
I'd have stuck my head out the window and asked them what the chuff they were doing knocking on my door at half two in the morning. 

I suspect I would have received a response along the lines of "ehh... is this Pete's house" (or the like) said in pissed out my brains drawl.  People casing a house are not likely to knock, those who've had a skin-full however :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline appletree_man

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2009, 03:15:04 AM
I think i'd have shouted out, something like "WHO THE F**K IS THAT AT THE TIME OF NIGHT ?", while banging stuff and making a lots of noise, make yourself sound big and very VERY angry. I doubt they would hang around  :D
I wouldn't keep quiet though, just in case they think no one is home and start trying to break in.
T

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 04:34:29 AM
I would of went to the door with my good old remington 870 riot gun with 00 buckshot.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 04:48:06 AM
Many moons ago, in my first failed attempt at Uni, I shared a cheap house near the uni & my house mate had gone out too the library. I heard a very large banging at the back door, saw through the frosted glass some one trying to jemmy open the door.I  shouted like a mad man at him & he did a runner. One more go & he would of had the door open. Not sure what would of happened , him with a crow bar & me adrenalined up  :think: :think:.
Happened in the middle of the afternoon  :o :o

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 06:07:13 AM
I recently read of a non-lethal option that makes some sense to me...

A small Fire extinguisher...a face full of fire extinguishing chemicals would make it had to see and breathe and you have an impact weapon in hand should the need arise.
We use them on dogs when forcing entry into a house.  Works like a charm.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 06:27:23 AM
I'd knock back. :D

I don't know what that'd accomplish, but it'd surely confuse the heck out of 'em!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:02:34 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 07:00:54 AM
peep hole in the door or a camera/viewing system if you can afford it, a good outside light to switch on
and attract attention and "light-up" the intruder (something high or securely mounted).

maybe a good chain on the door or slide-bar to open it without opening it so you can ask what they
want but still not open your door completely. your blades/bat/spray/whatever at the ready. your wife with the phone
in safer place.

with that I would ask "Who is it?" and go from there. you don't let in strangers for any reason but you tell them you
will or have called the police to come and help or take care of it.

the problem now is your worrying if they will be back and who was it and why? you didn't do wrong Ben but
knowing what it was all about would make you and your family feel better.

now you know what you have to do for any future "knocks" you need visibility and a little more security.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 08:31:21 AM
My wife would go nuts if I had a zombie chopper laying 'round, but I do have a 3 D-cell Maglite on the top of a shelf right next to my
front door, just in case... ;)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 08:33:58 AM
I'd would of grabbed my kukri (but concealed it) woke the missus up and give her a mobile, then seen wtf it was, probably by sticking my head out the window and preparing to unleash a full salvo of colourful language >:(

But then I am slightly more aggressive than most people :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 08:48:45 AM
You can also try to find some inexpensive strobe lights to put around your doorway.  If someone is there you can always flip them on- the effect can often be very disorienting on someone, which means that there's a better chance of them still being there when the police show up.  Either that, or if they were looking for an easy mark they will likely look elsewhere in the future.

Lastly, I know a dog isn't a feasible solution for you, but there are a number of sound/motion activated speaker systems that do a very good job of mimicking a barking, alert dog.  That alone is a significant deterrent to bad guys, as is a "BEWARE OF DOG" sign in the window.  Put the strobe and the speakers together and you will likely never see that guy in your neighborhood again, let alone your yard!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 08:51:30 AM
I'm curious as this in fact happened to me last night and after telling people about it, many people have had different ideas about what they would have done.  So, what would you do given that scenario?

1. Grab up big bore revolver and flashlight.
2. Tuck revolver into waistband in back, so it won't be visible to the person outside when the door is opened.
3. Open the inner door, leaving the outer door closed and locked.
4. Ask the a**hole outside why he's knocking so late at night.

I had to do exactly this a year or so back at about 3 AM.

Turned out to be a drunk who was looking for a woman that lived a couple of houses further down the block.  Never occured to the guy there was a possible issue with pounding on someone's door at 3 AM.

I'd rather carry a revolver to the door than a 12 guage, because keeping the firearm out of sight gives you a chance to defuse the situation.

If everything goes well, then your visitor need not even be aware that you were armed.

N

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 08:55:41 AM
Just to be clear, the knocking was slow, and "calm" if that makes any sense.  It wasn't frantic-like like you would expect from a person in need.

Creepy, I see.

Option 1) It could have been a burglar (is that the right word? I hope so...) checking if you were home. In that case, a strong "Who the hell is it???" would have been enough. The fact that it went on for five minutes makes me think this is the most likely explanation. They probably wanted to be really sure before breaking in, just to avoid being cut to pieces by a screaming mad guy waving a kuhkri. :)

Option 2) Somebody who maybe saw the lights of your car still on (or maybe smoke apparently coming out of your house) and just wanted to let you know. Just to be sure, I'd have opened the door, yeah, but with a baseball bat in one hand and a 200 lumens flashlight in the other.

Option 3) Cops, maybe looking around for something or somebody in your neighborhood, who wanted to ask you a few questions.

Option 4) A psychosatanicserialkiller... Well, they don't knock at the door, they usually knock it down and start waving their chainsaw. :D

A.
R

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #48 on: October 25, 2009, 09:09:46 AM
Anyone legitimately knocking on a door at 3am really should expect to be confronted with a weapon when/if the door is opened.  I know if I had car trouble or something and needed to stop at someone's house at that time of the morning, I'd be perfectly okay with them answering the door with a firearm or a baseball bat.

I don;t know how popular baseball is on your side of the pond, but there are lots of kid sized bats available these days that make very handy weapons, and with a house full of kids, it shouldn't seem out of place.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 03:38:28 PM
I would've opened the door with this bar in place allows me a good view with safety to boot  :D

oh and you can just see my knuchuks in the top left corner,should a breach occur  >:D

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:40:49 PM by John »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 05:16:45 PM
I think i'd have shouted out, something like "WHO THE F**K IS THAT AT THE TIME OF NIGHT ?", while banging stuff and making a lots of noise, make yourself sound big and very VERY angry. I doubt they would hang around  :D
I wouldn't keep quiet though, just in case they think no one is home and start trying to break in.

Then you would have had 2 very awake and scared children to deal with as well.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 05:18:23 PM
peep hole in the door or a camera/viewing system if you can afford it, a good outside light to switch on
and attract attention and "light-up" the intruder (something high or securely mounted).

maybe a good chain on the door or slide-bar to open it without opening it so you can ask what they
want but still not open your door completely. your blades/bat/spray/whatever at the ready. your wife with the phone
in safer place.

with that I would ask "Who is it?" and go from there. you don't let in strangers for any reason but you tell them you
will or have called the police to come and help or take care of it.

the problem now is your worrying if they will be back and who was it and why? you didn't do wrong Ben but
knowing what it was all about would make you and your family feel better.

now you know what you have to do for any future "knocks" you need visibility and a little more security.

I'm not worried at all about the person coming back.

I find it interesting that many people here have said I did the right thing when I haven't exactly said what I did.  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 05:21:39 PM
Just to be clear, the knocking was slow, and "calm" if that makes any sense.  It wasn't frantic-like like you would expect from a person in need.

Creepy, I see.

Option 1) It could have been a burglar (is that the right word? I hope so...) checking if you were home. In that case, a strong "Who the hell is it???" would have been enough. The fact that it went on for five minutes makes me think this is the most likely explanation. They probably wanted to be really sure before breaking in, just to avoid being cut to pieces by a screaming mad guy waving a kuhkri. :)

Option 2) Somebody who maybe saw the lights of your car still on (or maybe smoke apparently coming out of your house) and just wanted to let you know. Just to be sure, I'd have opened the door, yeah, but with a baseball bat in one hand and a 200 lumens flashlight in the other.

Option 3) Cops, maybe looking around for something or somebody in your neighborhood, who wanted to ask you a few questions.

Option 4) A psychosatanicserialkiller... Well, they don't knock at the door, they usually knock it down and start waving their chainsaw. :D

A.

Option 2 and 3 could have been cases, but if it was something as serious as smoke for example, you would knock a bit frantically and would even shout out.  Also if it was a copper that needed to talk to me, they would have probably called through the letterbox as well rather than knocking on and off for over 5 mins.
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #53 on: October 25, 2009, 05:32:14 PM
I'm not worried at all about the person coming back.
I find it interesting that many people here have said I did the right thing when I haven't exactly said what I did.  :D

as long as you didn't put the Def dress on and open the door and say; "hey sailor"
while he was laughing hysterically Sue clonked him with the end of the kuhkri!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 05:34:25 PM
probably someone drunk dialing your front door
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 05:57:45 PM
I find it interesting that many people here have said I did the right thing when I haven't exactly said what I did.  :D
You jumped under the bed and cried like a girl..?

What...?  :pok:  :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 06:01:16 PM
You jumped under the bed and cried like a girl..? (Image removed from quote.)

Sounds about right. :rofl:
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:28 PM

Sounds about right. :rofl:

Answered the door and told your "mother in law" to sod off..?  >:D

???

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #58 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:38 PM

I'm guessing Sue handled it on account of her having the weight advantage over everyone else :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19:01 PM
One glimpse of Sue's belly would send anyone running!!  :D
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31