Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sunken treasure

Dunc · 9 · 1854

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Sunken treasure
on: May 19, 2007, 01:59:14 PM
By Sky News SkyNews - Saturday, May 19 10:08 amAn American salvage company claims to have discovered the most valuable treasure wreck ever.

The haul of 500,000 gold and silver coins worth £250m is reported to have been discovered at the bottom of the ocean.

That's the Atlantic Ocean - but where exactly is being kept a closely guarded secret by the American salvage company.

However, Richard Larn, author of the Shipwreck Index, told Sky News the wreck was located around 40 miles off the coast of Land's End.

Containing 300,000 pieces of silver, 300,000 pieces of gold, 100,000 jewels and 36 bronze cannons, Mr Larn described the 17th wreck as the "Holy Grail" of wrecks.

"This is probably the most wealthy shipwreck on the seabed in the British Isles," he said.

Odyssey Marine Exploration has refused to give any more information about the find but said it would become one of the "most publicised in history".

But records show that in 1641 an English ship called the Merchant Royal sank off the Scilly Islands, laden with bullion from Mexico.

Mr Larn said the treasure belonged to the Spanish treasury.

It had been mined in South America and was being taken to the king of Spain from the West Indies when the ship was seized in the Azores by the Merchant Royal.

But the Royal sank in heavy seas in the English Channel en route to Dartmouth.
The crew was saved but the ship has since languished in 800ft of water.

Because it was found in international waters, the British have no claim on the wealth .

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20070519/tuk-record-250m-shipwreck-found-off-corn-45dbed5.html

Real Pirate stuff with doubloons and pieces of eight :D

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Sunken treasure
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:26:58 PM
I live in Dartmouth... it belongs to me! :P

That's a heck of a find- I wonder how they will secure the area during the excavation process?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:46:46 PM
I spent several years working with Robert Ballard the real modern Pirate. And I know that once ya start to look for them it is highly addictive. Anyone here dive?
S

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:00:06 PM
I live in Dartmouth... it belongs to me! :P

That's a heck of a find- I wonder how they will secure the area during the excavation process?

Def
I'm sure the RN could provide a frigate or two,for a nice fee...expenses and all that,say maybe 25% of the haul :grin:
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 11:27:47 PM
800 feet of water...is that unusually deep? Will the work likely be done by divers, or is it so deep that robot submersibles must be used?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:40:07 AM
Hers an update , seems they used a robot and the treasure is already in the U.S .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6671975.stm

I posted this on British blades and we decided to presgang a few members and borrow a ship and retrieve the treasure with the same methods that it was aquired by us in the first place  ;)

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 02:43:03 PM
Dunc, something tells me you would have made a great Captain Jack Sparrow!   :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 02:53:32 PM
I dunno, I think Dunc could kick Jack Sparrow's pearls!

And I'd bet the ship would look a heck of a lot better if all the mates carried SwissTools!  ;D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 03:57:42 PM
Still looking for someone who wreckdives. I have the ultimate book for them or the treasure hunter. The encyclopedia of north american shipwreaks. It is a compleate listing of all shipwreaks in north america from 1690 to 1990,
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD