Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hats!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Hats!
on: November 01, 2009, 03:49:02 PM
I'm looking for a new hat. It rains a lot here and I'm looking to keep the noggin
dry (not much of an umbrella person) yet be able to take some abuse and last.

So far I like these 3;

Tilley TWP1

* GUARANTEED FOR LIFE
    * INSURED AGAINST LOSS
    * WATERPROOF
    * SECRET POCKET
    * TIES ON IN THE WIND
    * EXCELLENT SUN PROTECTION

(what they say)
Not only are all the seams sealed, but the exterior Nylon is laminated with a waterproof backing, making this Hat a superb rain stopper. For those days when the weather is a mite unpredictable, a zipper venting system allows for maximum airflow between downpours. When the rain eases, the YYK™ zipper vent allows air to circulate throughout the mesh interior for coolness and comfort. A 3M Scotchlite™ reflective hatband, zipper pull and wind cord make the Waterproof Hat more visible in heavy precipitation or at dawn, dusk or nighttime. An interior size adjuster ensures a custom fit. And if all that wasn't enough, it provides maximum sun protection as well, rated at an "EXCELLENT" UPF 50+, the maximum rating given.

MSRP 75.00 usd (I've seen 64.50)
(I read)
expensive, 2 colors, great reviews

(they say)
Tested in some of the heartiest downpours the world has to offer, the "Sea Somb" is a rainy day classic. The shell offers waterproof protection and the brushed lining manages perspiration. The shaped brim directs water away from your head when it's gushing.
Lifetime Warranty

MSRP 54.00 usd (I've seen 34)
(I've read)
Gore-Tex lining is hot in the summer, lots of colors, good reviews

(they say)
The Real Deal is a tarp hat made in Brazil and crafted from recycled tarps of Brazilian cargo trucks in an attempt to cut down on the wasting of resources. Most likely the fabric in The Real Deal traveled from the Amazon to Sao Paulo and back again. So don't take care of this hat, it will take care of you.
There is nothing you can do to this hat that hasn't been done before.

The Real Deal is made in Brazil of recycled canvas tarpaulins from cargo trucks used for transporting goods. Even the shapeable wire brim braved the Brazilian jungle, yet on a much more intimate scale having come from old worn truck tires. Each hat and bag is truly one of a kind as no two are the same. Each has its own unique character. Made from various colors of tarp, they may have patches, seams, holes, or even Portuguese writing. They are hand sewn by Brazilian villagers and reflect the true craftsmanship of the locals.

MSRP 39.99 usd (29.99)
(I've read)
nice price, rugged looking and tuff, no set color, good reviews, no mention of warranty

what do you think? suggestions?  ;)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Hats!
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:20:13 PM
I'm feeling that first Tilley.  ;)  Nice hat that.  I have a Tilley quite similar.

Sean

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:52:06 PM
I don't think you could really go wrong with any of them if the claims are true, but I have to vote Tilley.  Few companies really impress me with quality and customer service (remember, I judge everything by Swiss standards!) and I have had absolutely nothing to complain about when it comes to Tilley hats.

Plus, with my luck, the tarp hat would be fresh off a manure truck....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:47:13 PM

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:59:07 PM
I've got an Aussie riding hat - something along these lines:

It's a little heavy but it's never gonna fall apart like some other flimsy hats I've owned  :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:14:39 PM
I really like the look of the tarp hat...but that's a lot of money for some scraps of old tarp and tyre wire  :-\
I

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:30:45 PM
If it was my money, of the three I'd go for the Tilley.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:35:41 PM
Well, I have none of the above, but do have a Tilley (T3 I think).

I do not foresee ever having to buy another hat, and just about everyone that takes the time to look at the Tilley wants one for the themselves! They're great conversation starters too, I've been approached by several people since I've owned mine, in the Derbyshire Dales, and even in a Museum! "Hey - nice hat. Is it a Tilley"?

Which I think is pretty cool actually!

I used to come here a lot.

Flash

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:03:39 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a little heavy but it's never gonna fall apart like some other flimsy hats I've owned  :)

I had that same hat 3 days ago for my birthday....its an Oiled Leather Barmah from Australia.....quality hats.

(Great minds think alike)

At the meetup if I show you mine can I see yours  :pok:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:42:29 AM
I missed your Birthday... sorry old bean, hope you had a fab one  :cheers:

Yes, you can see my hat but I can assure you it won't fit you!  :D

Flash

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:27 AM
Are you trying to say I have a big head  :pok:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 05:21:39 AM
I like the tarp hat.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 05:31:14 AM
Are you trying to say I have a big head  :pok:

No, I have a very small one  :angel:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 07:05:45 AM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:25 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

that is really nice, but I have "hot head" and find leather makes my head really hot.
I'll probably get all 3! :P just one at a time and the Tilley last when I can afford it,
or a good sale.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 06:40:05 PM
Tilleys are top of the line, but The Real Deal has a lot of character...
- Terry

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 03:35:54 AM
I agree Terry but you never know which "character" you'll get! their site says some even come with print on them lol.
I'll probably order one before the sale ends in Dec.

but I just ordered the Seattle Somberor because of the great reviews I read and a sale for 36.99 free shipping ;)
I should get it next week.

I still want the Tilley but cheapest now is 64.99 plus shipping, when I can I'll get it.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 04:16:10 PM
came in last night (yay) and does it work! we've had rain for a few days now (off and on) and I got to test it out, works great, not a drop in the face or neck. it's lighter then I thought, that's good and bad. good for keeping my head cool in the warmer times but I hope it last for a long time, we'll see.

their is a velcro band/belt inside (built inside the layer) that you can easily adjust to your head. I got an XL but it helps to custom fit it. you can really crunch this thing down and pack/store it and it keeps it's shape, I like that.

brim is big (bigger in back too) and really keeps the side-ways rain off the face. it has velcro patches on the outside sides to "flip up" the side brim (aussie style?) but that would let some water get in, still pretty cool. very comfortable!

I'll try and get some pics up (eventually) and now I'm covered!  ;)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 05:56:12 PM
Keep us updated mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 04:19:44 AM
Holy thread resurrection hatman!

Righto, The tilley hat thread got me thinking, but I didn't want to spear off on a tangent, and I don't care much for filling forums with nuisance threads, and this one seems a fine enough similar subject in which I can offer my meanderings and raise queries.

I'll lay out my troubles, and those that can and have a will to are welcome, nay encourage to write out their own thoughts and speculations!

I've had Leather hats, Canvas hats, and Felt hats.

The leather I outgrew, and it's not an easy thing to resize, the canvas I left in someone's car, and despite all efforts to reclaim, but all accounts simply disappeared, and the felt ones have all, over a time, worn out or through. Partially due to exposure to elements, and partially due to a general lack of care of consideration on my part (I do so love grasping the hat by the crown, despite the clear recommendation of the manufacturer to do otherwise, and I have a tendency, such as it is, to leave them in sunny spots, or damp from rain)

Anyway!
My hat of preference, I think I'm on my third or fourth, is the Akubra Cattleman - https://akubra.com.au/products/cattleman-fawn

Now, this is what I see as the "Australian" style of felt hat - wide brim, sloped at the front, slight slope at the back, more or less flat on the sides, with a pinched crown.

Now of late, what with one thing and another, I've watched myself a number of American Westerns, and though I don't generally go in for "Americana", I'm rather fancying to try a more "rodeo" style look, with the upturned "wings" on either side of the brim.

So I sit here, with my trusty felt hat and a spray bottle of Metho, ready to modify and set the look and I ask myself - other than rocking classic Steve McQueen styles, is there any benefit or reason at all for the rolled/bend sides of a broad brim hat? Does it help to funnel rain down the back?

I also ask, does anyone have any pro tips for shaping or styling their felt hats? and (I note from looking on the internet just now) many of them have a "raw" felt edge, though my cattleman has a stitched edge along the brim - what is the significance or necessity of this feature?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 10:55:34 PM
When I was younger I wore an Akubra Tracker.  I wanted the Snowy River, but it wasn't in stock so I got the Tracker instead.  Much like now, I wasn't big on waiting for things in those days.  I wore it a lot and looked after it, making sure to use the hat brushes that came with it in a counter clockwise fashion and making sure to always lay it on the crown and not the brim.  It was a lot of money, and it was a nice hat, and I was scared to let anything happen to it.

I eventually lost it on an ill fated road trip to Georgia.   :facepalm:

A few years later I got a Tilley hat, and frankly I have been wearing those ever since.  It may not look as fancy as the Akubra, but I feel as if it has a lot of dignity in it's own right.  It is made in Canada, touch as anything and, when it wears out, Tilley replaces it.  I have had at least three or four of them replaced, and I am seriously considering another one.  I think what I like most about it is that there is no fear in wearing it.  It doesn't matter if it gets laid on the brim or if a bird poos on it.  It doesn't matter if it gets crushed in the back seat or blows off on the lake. 

Akubra makes a nice hat, but I think in the end they make far too nice a hat for someone like me.   Every now and then I think about getting one, maybe the Snowy River since that was the one I wanted, or maybe a Cattleman, but thin the end, I would probably just end up never wearing it for the same reasons I made the switch to Tilley.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:17 AM
coming round 'ere, turning threads into sales pitches for your canadian wares!  :twak:

forsooth, I've considered a Tilley a few times, most cities (okay, five of our eight cities) have dedicated Hatteries (our economy isn't big enough to sustain more than one serious hat shop per one million people), where I've come undone is

A. There isn't much of range stocked in any of the shops I've been to, at the times I've been to them.
B. Due the mysteries of global economies and logistics, a tilley is about the same price off the shelf as an akubra,
and
C. as I've been wearing akubras every day since forever, I have bugger all reverence for them and like smurf I'm ever brushing one or doing anything else in the carer's pamphlet.

As far as it goes, they are quire "recoverable" if you do happen to crush them or get them dirty, the felt is durable and forgiving, and a bit of water, metho, patience (okay, and a brush), can have them looking good in short order (not quite as easy as just putting it in the washing machine, but it's not like I was going to use that time for anything useful anyway)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 02:34:30 AM
Back in the day my fav hat besides a normal ball cap was a cowboy hat, each year I flew out to Arizona for a summer vacation with my grandparents they would buy me a new one because she was so worried about me getting neck burn and back then I wasn’t wearing a hat with one of those what looked like a handkerchief tucked in the back to protect your neck! Besides I was out on the Wild Wild West and had to be cool! Right?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 12:52:26 PM
I honestly don't know that it was a reverence for the hat per se, so much as it was a concern about the cost of the hat.  I bought it when I was in high school, and it was (if I recall correctly) somewhere in the neighborhood of $180, which is a lot of money for a hat even today.  In high school, it would have been my entire pay cheque from McDonalds.   When you make $4/hour you have to work a lot of hours to make $180.

They are absolutely beautiful hats, and if I wanted another hat of that style, I wouldn't hesitate to grab an Akubra since I know they are excellent quality. 

I can't say that I know much about shaping the hats- it was almost a religion for me to keep that factory shape on the Tracker and I never considered altering it.  As far as I know about Western cowboy type hats, the curl was originally so it helped funnel the rain down the back and out of your face.  That eventually became a style thing, and nowadays country music singers have them curled so far that they wouldn't do you a bit of good keeping the rain off anything.   

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%