Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

1st multi-tools

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
1st multi-tools
on: November 04, 2009, 09:10:03 PM
A few days ago my son(4) and I were "fixing" his car. We had it up on the coffee table and as usual had an assortment of his play tools and a couple of my multi-tools. I let him play with my multi-tools when we're doing this. He deosn't open the knife blade of course but I let him play with the screwdriver and the pliers. And yes, I'm always right there supervising him.

So anyway, he says that he wants a real multi-tool instead of his plastic tools. Of course I immediately told him that I would get him one when he's older. But as I thought about it I decided there was one I could give him. I have a couple of Swiss-Tech 6-in-1 folding pliers and figured it wouldn't hurt to let him have one. Yes I do watch him closely when he's playing with it.

Boy was he happy, he bragged to everyone how he was a big boy and had finally become old enough to have a real multi-tool just like Daddy's. And of course it was bittersweet for me, on one hand my boy took a big step in his life but OTOH it proved that he's no longer a baby or even a toddler. He's getting to be a big boy and soon I'll be giving him his 1st knife, and then his 1st BB gun and next etc etc....

So, you parents, what was the 1st "multi-tool" that you gave your kids?
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: 1st multi-tools
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:10 PM
I gave my boy a Swisstech when he was 4 too, and I've never had any problems :)

I didn't give him the one without the small drivers though, as I didn't want to run the risk of him falling on them :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:17:42 PM
My son has a Leatherman Wave, my daughter has several tools now. I think the first was a PST II, but I'm not totally sure about that.
I used to come here a lot.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:24:59 PM
My kids have had SAKs (compacts I believe) when they were old enough to know how to safely open a knife (around 6-7)  My daughter has a Kobalt MT and a SwissCard (which she prefers). 

My son has never been a tool guy, but he really likes his LM Juice CS4.  He never got on with SAKs but appreciates his birth year Soldier.

To me, it depends on the kid.  When you're comfortable that they know proper knife useage, (and you trust them), they're ready--age independent really.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 06:26:30 AM
my son is diggin on my atwood.  may have to find something like that for him.  right now he is more into flashlights then tools.  to each his own right? :cheers:
'

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 05:00:18 PM
Well I have two girls, one seven and the other three. The oldest was giving a plastic victorinox from Grant a long time ago and she has since passed it down to her little sister. There are times when we are sitting on the couch and she will pop open my sheath and play with whatever tool I am carrying that day. Sometimes it freaks her mom out but I feel it's healthy for her to learn about them. She sees me with the everyday and is fascinated by the work we do here on multitool.org. I think one day she may have her own tool, it's only a matter of time in my opinion. I too may get her something like a swisstech or maybe something as simple as a shard.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:18:43 PM
My daughter is also four and has a toy SAK but she's yet to get her own real multi, she seems more likely to get into torches ATM.  That 6-in-1 looks to be a great choice though, not much chance of doing themselves any serious damage. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 05:54:16 PM
Well I have two girls, one seven and the other three. The oldest was giving a plastic victorinox from Grant a long time ago and she has since passed it down to her little sister. There are times when we are sitting on the couch and she will pop open my sheath and play with whatever tool I am carrying that day. Sometimes it freaks her mom out but I feel it's healthy for her to learn about them. She sees me with the everyday and is fascinated by the work we do here on multitool.org. I think one day she may have her own tool, it's only a matter of time in my opinion. I too may get her something like a swisstech or maybe something as simple as a shard.

Seven and three?  Holy crap.... seems like just yesterday you were taking the cellophane off the new one!

As for it being healthy for her to learn about things, it's probably better that she has a familiarity with tools, so when she gets to High School and the football player's car mysteriously "breaks down" on a dirt road, she can fix it and make it home in time for curfew!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 06:21:01 PM
I know, they grow up fast and it's good for them to learn not only how to use tools but to be prepared for anything.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 07:17:38 PM
my son is diggin on my atwood.  may have to find something like that for him.  right now he is more into flashlights then tools.  to each his own right? :cheers:

Get an artifact and take the exacto blade out.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 07:22:51 PM
A Shard would be ideal if you could find one.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD