Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pocket powerpliers

SoDak · 10 · 4264

Offline SoDak

pocket powerpliers
on: September 23, 2006, 04:13:57 AM
Just got a leatherman pst for collecting and I can't believe how thin they are. I want to use it but considering this is probably the only one I'll ever buy I thought I'd get a pocket powerplier. I like the fact that it has the replaceable tools. The things I'm wondering is this, are they more durable than the pst? Are they similar in size to the pst? and How strong are the backsprings on it? Sorry for asking for comparisons to the pst, but its the only thing I have that sounds similar in size and tool selection. Thanks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: pocket powerpliers
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 04:33:11 AM
What you have to remember is that the PST was responsable for the current multitool industry.  In addition to defining the current multitool, the PSt was also responsable for defining all the "problems" with multitools.  The PowerLock and Power Pliers and other models that followed were all improvements (or someone's interpretation of improvements) on the original.  Much the same way as a Ford Model T is significant to car enthusiasts but can't hold a candle to modern automobiles, the PST is a classic, without which the industry would either not exist or not be the same.
If you are looking for a serious using tool, I would look at one of the more current designs like the Juice series from Leatherman, the SwissTool or Spirit from Victorinox, any of the current offerings from Gerber or SOG as they would all probably suit your purposes better than any of the "old" tools would.  Initially a multi was supposed to be a handy thing to have in an emergency, but nowadays they seemed to have evolved to the point where they are attempting to replace much of your standard toolbox.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline SoDak

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 04:43:17 AM
I've got a few other multitools and I carry a core with me most of the day. The only reason I was using the pst as a comparison is that from what I understand the pocket powerplier is roughly the same size. I didn't plan on using the sog as a serious duty tool, just as something I can drop in my pocket and take with me on days when I don't need anything bigger.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:48:53 AM
Welcome to Multitool.org SoDak!
The Pocket PowerPlier is very comparable to the PST in size, features, and durability. Between the two though, I'd choose the PST. Those SOG gear teeth aren't very friendly when you just carry the tool around in your pocket.

~Bob
SOG PST.jpg
* SOG PST.jpg (Filesize: 79.48 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:19:11 AM
The original Leatherman Tool (called PST by some) is a favorite.  It is lighter weight yet more robust than my Juice CS4.  I carried the PST today and used it to remove a cotter pin from a clevice pin on my tractor's mowing deck.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline colubrid

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 05:22:15 AM
The original Leatherman Tool (called PST by some) is a favorite.  It is lighter weight yet more robust than my Juice CS4.  I carried the PST today and used it to remove a cotter pin from a clevice pin on my tractor's mowing deck.

How do you like the PST II compared to the PST ?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 05:28:16 AM

I've not had the pleasure of using a PST II.  I have the original Leatherman Tool (aka PST) I bought in 1991.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 05:41:55 AM
I was in one of out finer fast food establisments today and saw an older gentleman using a PST to cut his hambuger in half. I asked him about it and he said he had been carring that same tool every day for almost 12 years. He said he used it for everything. I showed him my LM Charge I had on me at the time he wasn't very impressed. He said he would never spend money on another knife. That the one he carried was fine for him. It just shows that sometimes the older smaller modles are fine for some people.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 11:26:21 AM

Personally I like the PST better, but again that's that silly advancement thing again.  I think that the folding scissor that is included on the PST II is one of the best scissor designed by any of the companies, and that the diamond coated file that debuted on the PST II is about the best available.  These two features on my old PST II are probably what started my original tool lust which eventually lead to my collection and this site.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline SoDak

Thank J-sews
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 03:12:04 PM
Thank you J-sews for the picture comparing the two. I think I will get the pocket powerplier mostly because it's not discontinued so I don't have to worry as much about breaking it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%