Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Improvements to the Crunch.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Improvements to the Crunch.
on: May 20, 2007, 07:42:30 AM
So I went on a little multi-tool buying spree this month among the tools I ended up with is the Crunch. I've been carrying it everyday for about a week and have found it to be very useful as an EDC tool. It also makes the best handheld stress reliever I have ever seen. There really is something therapeutic about constantly snapping/swinging/locking it open and closed with one hand.

I do like the tool now but have been thinking about some improvements that should be incorporated in the next incarnation of the tool. This tool has a lot of potential and it has been around long enough to warrant an update, similar to the Wave but without the added girth and bulk.

Here's what I'm thinking about.

1.) A positive-locking system on the handle/head mating point. As it is currently the two mate through a stamped dimple system but when using the Crunch pliers on small items the springs in the plier head have enough force to really kick out the handle and break the connection when trying to open the pliers one handed. I think it would not be out of hand to add a lock to this connection. The tool is not that quick to break down anyway and it would be fairly easy to add a lock release that could be tripped one-handed pretty quickly.

2.) A scissors. As either a replacement for the file or knife this would be a really excellent deal-maker for me and a lot of users. Or, better yet, take out the two flatheads and the Philips, put a bit driver in place of these three implements and add a scissors instead of taking the knife or file.

3.) A revamped locking system for the tools in the handle more akin to the Blast/Fuse. The current version is functional but very stiff and not very positive feeling. There needs to be more play so I can tell if I have actually released the tool.

Just some small ideas. As it is now the Crunch is a really well engineered piece of equipment and is a real eye-catcher. Most everyone has seen a butterfly-opening tool but few have seen something as cool to open one-handed as the Crunch.

Bonus Pic!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Improvements to the Crunch.
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:56:28 AM
Although i completely agree with you about changing the lock mechanism, i see no point putting a bit driver in when there is a perfectly useable one on the other handle. Scissors instead of the knife would make it a very nice legal EDC in the uk though.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 02:16:00 PM
All the more reason IMHO to exchange the number of screwdrivers out of the handle for something more useful.

To me this is one of Leatherman's greatest failings.  The flathead screwdriver is way overused, and you don't need three or more on each tool.  I wouldn't mind so much if, like Victorinox for instance, a flathead was simply a useful addition to what is primarily a different tool.

As for the Crunch, it is indeed a heck of a toy, isn't it? :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:12:00 PM

3.) A revamped locking system for the tools in the handle more akin to the Blast/Fuse. The current version is functional but very stiff and not very positive feeling. There needs to be more play so I can tell if I have actually released the tool.

The lock release lever is indeed stiffer than it needs to be. I think simply moving the pivot pin a slight ways closer to the end of the handle would solve the problem. Right now the pivot is exactly centered along the length of the lever. It should be biased more towards the lock end. (Perhaps by simply making the lever longer?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:52:20 AM
Although i completely agree with you about changing the lock mechanism, i see no point putting a bit driver in when there is a perfectly useable one on the other handle. Scissors instead of the knife would make it a very nice legal EDC in the uk though.

Roadie

My main point with adding another bit driver was to reduce the number of drivers on the tool to two and add a way to carry bits on the tool. I don't ever really see myself using the driver on the Crunch as it is now because it takes too much time to access it and there is no way to store bits on the tool while pocket carrying. By removing 4 items (2 flathead, 1 phillip, and 1 lanyard ring) and adding 2+1 (driver with 1 double-sided bit and scissors) I think this tool would be much more useful.

Just some thoughts for improvement, perfection is boring.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:08:50 AM
Minor improvement idea: The knife blade and file blade could be made a little longer. While there is no room for longer blades in the handle now, if the blade-carrying handle were about 1/4" longer, then there would be. The one handle would then be the same length as the knurled knob sticking out on the opposite handle, and so the tool really wouldn't be any bigger. (hope that makes sense?)

Then all of the blades and tools could have a little more reach.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:18:47 AM
....Or, better yet, take out the two flatheads and the Philips, put a bit driver in place of these three implements and add a scissors instead of taking the knife or file.

I would leave the screwdrivers in.  The Crunch already has a bit driver which becomes usable after you unscrew and remove the adjuster bolt.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline damota

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 08:31:01 PM
What I would like them to do is bin the 3 drivers and put a plain spacer in, or make them shorter, extend the slot in the handles so they can give it a bigger head. If they did that, apart from the part of the head sticking out when closed the tool would be the same size as it is now but to me its usability would truly go up a couple of notches. Another quarter to half an inch on those jaws would make a heck of a difference. As it is it is just too small to be fully useful as a tool. The main use mine gets is pulling other multi's to bits

Dave

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:55 PM
Hmm was thinking about, and I was wondering, wouldn't it actually be possible for leatherman to introduce the 4 knife/tool outside opening setup to the charge?

What would need to be done is to increase the width of the handles, by adding the 'metal sleeves' to the outside which would house the two knives and metal file / saw. One of the handles would not have any internal tools as we see now with the wave/surge/charge, but the mechanism for the locking pliers, the other one could then have a different set-up without a file and knife blade, maybe scissors, awl, can opener, bit driver etc.

Am I missing something or would this be possible?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 01:57:21 PM
Hmmm........y'know, that seems like a damn good idea! Get the blades out alongside the center channel, and the plier head could be larger (like Damota wants) and the knife & file blades could also be longer, like I wants!  :grin:

The tradeoff would be a fatter tool, but it wouldn't be all that bad. No worse than a Wave or Charge I suspect.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:21:59 PM
I was wondering that after reading this post.  I was trying to decide whether it would work or not before opening my mouth (keyboard!) but looks like Bob beat me to it.  Maybe something for Leatherman to keep in mind for the Crunch II?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:49:29 PM
hmm, so it is not a silly idea  :o

Not necessarily a crunch II, more like a charge-crunch hybrid, because I believe this would be a major improvement for the charge line as well, they would have locking pliers!

Plus, if you think about it, you wouldn't be losing much at all, only one set of inside tools, but since the tool would need to be thicker than the current charges, you would be able to fit in some of the missing tools on the other side. So I believe the only downside would be a fatter tool (in terms of width) but I wouldn't care, for getting a pair of locking pliers onto the charge, with titanium handles, premium steel knife, two outside opening blades and a diamond file....maybe my dream tool (until i see a bigger dream that is)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 02:52:52 PM
This is my dream tool:

Imagine a tool that follows you around so you don't need a sheath or pocket clip, has a variety of implements on board, and does the fixit work for you!  You could fix your car without pulling over, you'd have that extra hand you needed...

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 03:14:41 PM
Hmm was thinking about, and I was wondering, wouldn't it actually be possible for leatherman to introduce the 4 knife/tool outside opening setup to the charge?

What would need to be done is to increase the width of the handles, by adding the 'metal sleeves' to the outside which would house the two knives and metal file / saw. One of the handles would not have any internal tools as we see now with the wave/surge/charge, but the mechanism for the locking pliers, the other one could then have a different set-up without a file and knife blade, maybe scissors, awl, can opener, bit driver etc.

Am I missing something or would this be possible?

Such a shame something like this cant be a custom mod  :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 03:17:06 PM
I think it would be easier to build something like that from scratch than to try and mod it.

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 03:27:35 PM
Bob, you listening  :pok: ? Happen to have a couple of free months, maybe paid sick leave or something  ;) ;D  :P :D  :multi:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 03:35:34 PM
I don't think Bob's union is that good! :P

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 01:53:07 AM
Bob, you listening  :pok: ? Happen to have a couple of free months, maybe paid sick leave or something 

It's going to take something a WHOLE LOT more powerful than even the mighty Pokey Stick to get me started on that project!! Remember, I'm the guy that needs two months to put a pocket clip on a Spirit, and probably double that to change out a simple knife blade!

When I said this was a good idea, I meant it would be a good idea for someone else.... ;)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 09:46:07 AM
I'm kind of on the fence about adding outside opening blades to a non-butterfly opening model. The thickness and bulk are all incidental and acceptable but I am thinking of handle comfort.

The Gerber Freehand features the four outside-opening blade set-up without butterfly opening and the more I use it the more I notice how much less comfortable the handles are than previous Gerber models. Now, they are not uncomfortable, but they are much less comfortable than the MP600 series.

Now, this would be no problem if you mainly used the blades but on a model like the Crunch I think the main attraction and subsequent main use of the tool is the locking pliers, thus handle comfort should be paramount.

Next, I do like the idea of a larger Crunch. We have the Wave/Surgeand the Blast/Core so why not a Crunch/MegaCrunch model? Larger opening plier head, more tools in the handle and the tool would be much more able to stand up to heavier use.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 12:16:36 PM
Hmm I had totally forgotten about the fact that the crunch is not butterfly opening, and so the outside opening blades would be difficult / uncomfortable to hold.

One easy solution would be to make the blades less wide, so they are not protruding above the handle edges, and give them thumb studs instead of holes, so you can still open them one handed. If you could do that, and have side plates the shape of those on the charge models, I believe they would be quite comfortable to hold and so solve this problem.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:08 PM
Hmm I had totally forgotten about the fact that the crunch is not butterfly opening, and so the outside opening blades would be difficult / uncomfortable to hold.

One easy solution would be to make the blades less wide, so they are not protruding above the handle edges, and give them thumb studs instead of holes, so you can still open them one handed. If you could do that, and have side plates the shape of those on the charge models, I believe they would be quite comfortable to hold and so solve this problem.

Yet another fine idea.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 04:43:36 PM
I was playing with my LM charge TTI today, especially after all thats been said on the 'I dont like the LM Charge because i'm Def  :twak: ' thread  ;D :P

It is such a great tool, I love its looks, the way it feels so rugged in my hand but so comfortable, the design, pretty much everything about it, except the plier heads. I just wish there was something 'extra' , something 'special' about them. If they were locking like the crunch, and in black oxide....ooh, that would be sweet.

Those pictures of the SOG PT540, the pleir heads on those look sweet as well, thats even apart from the fact that they are compound leverage. I really wish there was some kind of custom Mod available.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 05:03:04 AM
Sorry Raukodur, I was laughing so much after that first sentence that I didn't pay much attention to the rest of your post!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 12:06:03 PM
I'm sorry, what?  I didn't hear you, I'm DEF! :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%