Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Eye Glass Tool in Bit Kit

Offline mootsman

Eye Glass Tool in Bit Kit
on: November 06, 2009, 03:45:35 PM
Anyone figure out how to use the little eye glass screwdriver in the bit kit? It is about .5 mm thick, how do you put it in the bit holder? I have a Skeletool CX, the bit kit says it is for that tool, but I don't see any way to use this one driver.

Thanks

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: Eye Glass Tool in Bit Kit
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:51:37 PM
I know the eyeglass screwdriver is for the Wave and Charge models but I'm not sure about the Skeletool.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:57:10 PM
And the Surge too....

I have never heard that the eyeglass screwdriver is supposed to be included with any of the Skeletool models?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:59:34 PM
Can't see how that would fit. I guess that is a a little mistake of LM  :think:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:37:15 PM
Duct tape..?  :P :D

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:42:51 PM
Duct tape..?  :P :D
:rofl:

:twak:  :D

a better Idea just grip it in the pliers  :P  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:28:37 PM
That'll work in the Blast, Wave, Charge and Surge - not the Skeletool.

I guess it wasn't worth removing it and having a separate "Skeletool Bit Kit".
I used to come here a lot.

Offline mootsman

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 03:30:07 AM
And the Surge too....

I have never heard that the eyeglass screwdriver is supposed to be included with any of the Skeletool models?

Def
Right - not included, this is a bit kit I bought later. I figured that was the answer - that it goes in some of the other tools but not this one. To bad, nice little screwdriver. Rather than hold it in the pliers, I would just grab a different screwdriver. There are other tools besides the LM after all.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:35:33 PM
And the Surge too....

Def
Right - not included, this is a bit kit I bought later. I figured that was the answer - that it goes in some of the other tools but not this one. To bad, nice little screwdriver. Rather than hold it in the pliers, I would just grab a different screwdriver. There are other tools besides the LM after all.

What!?!?!  :sa:

Offline mootsman

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:02:25 PM
And the Surge too....

Def

What!?!?!  :sa:
I figured that would stir it up. Actually, I did try every way I could think of to use the little screwdriver, and even put it in the pliers, so, yeah, I'm as sick as the rest of you.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 04:26:28 PM
There are other tools besides the LM after all.

Place your hand over you heart.

Turn and face your sheath.

And say:"There are other tools, but there is only one worthy to be called Leatherman"

(following this with a salute is optional)

:2tu:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:10:24 PM
 :D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 05:57:46 PM

And say:"There are other tools, but there is only one worthy to be called Leatherman Slippery Vic Drivers"

There, I fixed it for you...  ;) 
:D :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 06:58:53 PM

And say:"There are other tools, but there is only one worthy to be called Leatherman Slippery Vic Drivers"

There, I fixed it for you...  ;) 
:D :D

I know what you mean. Not to disparage another tool that I love, but trying to get a grip on a screw head with those super-highly polished drivers, always reminds me of the old catch phrase that the salesmen use to use back when Slick 50 first came out "It's just like wet ice on wet ice"... :)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 08:50:52 PM
I would suggest you upgrade to the charge :) that will take care of your problems!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 12:05:55 AM
Anyone figure out how to use the little eye glass screwdriver in the bit kit? It is about .5 mm thick, how do you put it in the bit holder? I have a Skeletool CX, the bit kit says it is for that tool, but I don't see any way to use this one driver.

Thanks

One solution that I can think of is this:

Get two extra Leatherman flat style bits, and two eyeglass style bits. Cut one end off of the flat bits, drill a hole down the center just large enough to press fit the eyeglass driver. Press them together with a little locktite, one Philips, one standard.

You'll just have to watch that you make the length right, flat bit long enough to lock into the bit driver, overall short enough to still fit the plastic bit storage/sheath.

Offline mootsman

Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 03:16:13 AM

Thanks

One solution that I can think of is this:

Get two extra Leatherman flat style bits, and two eyeglass style bits. Cut one end off of the flat bits, drill a hole down the center just large enough to press fit the eyeglass driver. Press them together with a little locktite, one Philips, one standard.

You'll just have to watch that you make the length right, flat bit long enough to lock into the bit driver, overall short enough to still fit the plastic bit storage/sheath.

I would do that if my old PST had a micro drill press tool on it. I could hold the flat bits with the Skeletool, and drill them with the PST. I could then use my squirt to push the eyeglass drivers into the perfect holes that I had created for them. The ONLY flaw in your plan is that I think epoxy rather than locktite would be a better choice. Too bad the PST doesn't have a drill press. :ahhh

us Offline Farmer

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 03:53:28 AM
I didnt know some of the PSTs came with a drill press. I have one of the semi-rare ones with cutting torch but its out of gas at the moment.  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 05:40:41 AM
I would do that if my old PST had a micro drill press tool on it. I could hold the flat bits with the Skeletool, and drill them with the PST. I could then use my squirt to push the eyeglass drivers into the perfect holes that I had created for them. The ONLY flaw in your plan is that I think epoxy rather than locktite would be a better choice. Too bad the PST doesn't have a drill press. :ahhh

I want one of those PST's, must have been one of Tim's prototypes...  :)

On a serious note, I don't think it would be that difficult. A sharp bit, and slow press should make quick work of it.

Locktite is better at securing a press fit, much smaller molecules than most epoxies, and its molecular adhesion takes place in the absence of oxygen.

I'm going to try it sometime, if I can't come up with an extra flat bit I'll try drilling into similar tool steel and see how it goes. I'll post back with my results.

Offline mootsman

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 02:20:51 PM
You know, I was just treating all these suggestions to make an eyeglass tool as a joke. I don't even need one that badly. However, the more I think about it, the more intrigued I am. I may not do it, but I was even considering buying an extra bit kit so i could use some of the flat bits as blanks, and cut the eye glass screw driver in half. I have a friend who is a machinist that could no doubt do the work. He is awfully busy though, so I hate to bother him with this. But, it certainly could be done. Have to think about it.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 03:20:52 PM
You know, I was just treating all these suggestions to make an eyeglass tool as a joke. I don't even need one that badly. However, the more I think about it, the more intrigued I am. I may not do it, but I was even considering buying an extra bit kit so i could use some of the flat bits as blanks, and cut the eye glass screw driver in half. I have a friend who is a machinist that could no doubt do the work. He is awfully busy though, so I hate to bother him with this. But, it certainly could be done. Have to think about it.

I didn't mean to take you too seriously, but...

A machinist would make short work of it. If you do ask him, could you post how it works out. This would really be a great way to use that bit with the Skeletool  :)

An additional thought would be to use one bit of each kind (one flat, and one eyeglass) cut the ends off of the flat bit and drill straight through, then pressing the entire eyeglass bit through the hole until it's centered. I'm not sure if this length will work with inserting it into the the Skeletool adapter, since I do not own one (YET), but it should store well in the plastic bit holder.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD