Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yo World! Y'all getting H1N1 vaccines?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Yo World! Y'all getting H1N1 vaccines?
on: November 06, 2009, 07:38:40 PM
Is this a worldwide effort?  Just curious.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Re: Yo World! Y'all getting H1N1 vaccines?
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:53:38 PM
Yes Sir it's here  :salute:  :D

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:58:24 PM
If I can get it for free

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:07:40 PM
It's free here too, but it also seems there's a good likelihood that I've already had it- H1N1, not the shot!  :D  My doctor offered to do some blood work to find out if the flu I had was H1N1 or not, but doctors and pathologists are already running ragged trying to keep up with getting the shots out, so I decided a little less work for them was a good thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:18 PM
No, so far only a little over 1600 people have died from the H1N1 flu. On average 36,000 people die every year from the normal flu. I think it's being blown WAY out of proportion. Plus I've got issues with the safety of the vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:24:13 PM
Sucks being a third world country! No vaccine available! >:(
Guess if we have a pandemic the yankees and the red coats are going to inherit the earth  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:58 PM
I think it's being blown WAY out of proportion.

I totally agree with you.

A.
R

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:51:01 PM
I think it's being blown WAY out of proportion.

I totally agree with you.

A.
I agree with you but on the other side this flu strain can be a potential mass killer if somehow its infecting capability is added with SARs killer personality boy humanity is in trouble.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:58:50 PM
No, so far only a little over 1600 people have died from the H1N1 flu. On average 36,000 people die every year from the normal flu. I think it's being blown WAY out of proportion. Plus I've got issues with the safety of the vaccine.

Pretty much my thoughts as well (and pretty much everyone medical related that I work with).
I'm back!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:03:54 PM

Pretty much my thoughts as well (and pretty much everyone medical related that I work with).

The strain of H1N1 flu is not lethal but they are worried about it becoming lethal thats way we have the vaccine, better be ready the caught off guard as for the safety of the vaccine wish they would properly warn people about it so that its up to the individual to take or not take the risk. As for me if the vaccine is available I would risk it but for my Boy I just have to wait and see if the vaccine will get safer.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:10:28 PM
I think the Umbrella Corporation may be behind the H1N1 virus.

:like:    :MTO:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:12:05 PM

Talk with your pediatrician.

Prolly true for us old farts, but you youngsters who weren't around in '76 have never been exposed to H1N1 strain, putting you at high risk (similar to old folks with seasonal flu).

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 09:17:35 PM
No, so far only a little over 1600 people have died from the H1N1 flu. On average 36,000 people die every year from the normal flu. I think it's being blown WAY out of proportion.

I am not following your argument. If 1600 people have already died from H1N1 in the US, and the flu season has only just begun, wouldn't that indicate that H1N1 will likely prove much more dangerous than regular seasonal flu?

In other words, H1N1 has already matched the peak month of a seasonal flu season, and the flu season is only just starting. How does that make it less dangerous?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:35:40 PM by max6166 »
[

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 09:46:18 PM
Pretty sure I am getting over the flu, don't know if it was H1N1.  The boy is vaccinated, gotta take him for second round in 2 weeks, and the wife and I were going to go when it was free on Wednesday, but I already had a fever, and Liam doesn't do well cooped up in a line, which was huge by the way, so we opted not to.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:05 PM
Well I should be able to get it soon, as I work with children :)

Still not certain it's a good idea, but I'd rather have the vaccine than perhaps pass it on to my son (assuming you can't still carry it Typhoid Mary style)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 11:07:30 PM
Free here but chances are when it's my turn there won't be any left.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 12:39:20 AM
I am not following your argument. If 1600 people have already died from H1N1 in the US, and the flu season has only just begun, wouldn't that indicate that H1N1 will likely prove much more dangerous than regular seasonal flu?
One thing that is lacking right now is how many people have died from the regular flu. But even those numbers are enough to show that it's not the deadly killer that everyone seems to be making it out to be. According to my links they've been tracking it in the US since late March 2009. So that's 1600+ people in 8 months so no, I'm not worried too much about it.

Now if it mutates and the lethality rates skyrockets that's one thing but the chances of that happening are extremely rare.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 01:15:02 AM
One thing that is lacking right now is how many people have died from the regular flu. But even those numbers are enough to show that it's not the deadly killer that everyone seems to be making it out to be. According to my links they've been tracking it in the US since late March 2009. So that's 1600+ people in 8 months so no, I'm not worried too much about it.

Now if it mutates and the lethality rates skyrockets that's one thing but the chances of that happening are extremely rare.

DTH, I hafta tell ya', that's not true.  H1N1 has a history of mutating and acquiring lethal abiliities.  In part, this is because it has a natural reservoir (pigs) which allows comingling with a series of swine and multi-species virii. The features of this specific virus that have epidemiologists worried are

1.  Highly contagious
2.  Large percentage of population is naive to the virus.
3.  It has already shown a level of lethality, particularly in children.

The hope is to get enough of the population vaccinated so that if it becomes another 1918 influenza strain (also an H1N1 strain, btw), the spread will be slowed by a modicum of herd immunity.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 01:27:37 AM
No flu vaccinations for me.  Aside from my distrust of things that "everyone is doing", I haven't had the flu in about 10 years, and one cold about two years ago. 

Common sense goes a long way at preventing disease.
[

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 01:38:15 AM
No flu vaccinations for me.  Aside from my distrust of things that "everyone is doing", I haven't had the flu in about 10 years, and one cold about two years ago. 

Common sense goes a long way at preventing disease.

'tis true

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 02:31:01 AM
DTH, I hafta tell ya', that's not true.  H1N1 has a history of mutating and acquiring lethal abiliities.
I didn't say it didn't mutates. And I didn't say it couldn't get bad. And I know it's something that we should be concerned about.

However, the death rate from the disease right now is not near as bad as you would think from the news. It hasn't killed millions and like I said, the chances of that(or any other pandemic) happening are rare. Do they happen? Yes, of course they do. And I know it WILL happen at some point. But I stand by my statement, I think they're blowing this out of proportion.

We've had SARS, Monkey Pox and now this. What I'm worried about is that they'll keep yelling "pandemic" and just like the boy crying wolf the public will eventually just blow the news off. And when we DO get the nasty one that kills millions it'll already have a HUGE head start because people just ignored the warnings.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 03:28:47 AM
We've had SARS, Monkey Pox and now this. What I'm worried about is that they'll keep yelling "pandemic" and just like the boy crying wolf the public will eventually just blow the news off.

Don't forget the Bird Flu...or was that another name for SARS? :think: 
[

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 04:05:04 AM
Everyone is responsible for their actions.  No one sez vaccines are 100% safe. Vaccination or no vaccination, you accept the risks associated with your actions. 

I chose to ask my college age kids to get vaccinated, I'm fine with this (I also was vaccinated). 

Nothing more to say about what I consider the safer route.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 04:27:03 AM
I don't have a problem with voluntary vaccinations. My only problem is with forced vaccination of kids in schools. But I won't have to worry, I'll be homeschooling my son.   :ahhh

us Offline Pacu

Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 05:44:47 AM
i always wondered what vaccinations i got at lackland-keesler when i went in....i don't get sick often so it must of been some good stuff. :o
Hit twice in both arms with an air gun vaccine blower type of device. Found out i was a carrier of TB virus but did not have it :think: ...picked it up from an exposed kid in scout camp when i was smaller. Had to take some big horse pills for a year straight.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 09:13:00 AM
This is the CDC's latest P&I report.

[

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 01:13:42 PM
No, so far only a little over 1600 people have died from the H1N1 flu. On average 36,000 people die every year from the normal flu. I think it's being blown WAY out of proportion.

In other words, H1N1 has already matched the peak month of a seasonal flu season, and the flu season is only just starting. How does that make it less dangerous?

You can predict these thing by looking at the number of infections and the mortality caused as a direct result. All flu can kill you as has been discussed and this one hasn't proven to be any more dangerous as yet. It can of course mutate, especially when someone carries both a common and highly infectious flu along with this variant of H1N1 - that's potentially the worst case scenario as you have an end product which is potentially lethal on a pandemic scale. I believe that was the potential worry with bird flu; a threat which still remains despite the lack of current public interest about it.

History has well documented such outbreaks, most notably the "Spanish flu" around the 1st world war which took millions of lives. We do not actually have any serious defence against such things other than taking individual measure to prevent infection. Our boy had swine flu a few weeks ago and was very ill - neither of us caught it from him, perhaps due to being fastidious about cleaning and not sharing things etc. I may have had previous immunity from a flu I had in 1976... not sure about that one though - pure speculation.

The governments and health organisations want you to be vaccinated to improve the chances of herd immunity - this fails when too many people refuse vaccination (hence current outbreaks with measles and mumps which is caused by parents being scared of their children having the MMR vaccine). Public health is 10% science and 90% political propaganda IMHO and you can find out the facts for yourselves should you wish to; just be aware that the internet is full of anti-government BS making claims with no substantial evidence to back it up.

Tamilflu has side effects, vaccinations have complications... place your bets! All medical intervention has potential unwanted effects including deaths. It's called iatrogenesis and is currently unavoidable. Aspirin or penicillin will kill one person whilst saving lives by the thousand elsewhere. The current indications for vaccination in the UK are over 65's, people with diabetes etc and others at risk - if I were in that group I might take the risk for the potential benefits but as I am not, I certainly will not be having it.

Arm yourself with knowledge and wash your hands - that's my advice y'all ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline P35

Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 03:30:25 PM
NO flu vaccines for me

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 04:38:26 PM
Spray the world with Domestos  :ahhh  :D

actually the wipes are a good thing if you travel around a lot,wiping door handles and such  :tu:

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 05:37:26 PM
No vaccine here  :)

I don't know with this flu thing. As long I feel oke I'm not going to do anything. I always learnt, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. And about that epedemic situation and that it has killed more people than the normal flu? I don't know, how many people have to die to call it an epedemic anyway? I'm sure more people are killed by guns or in traffic are those an epedemic to than? And is anybody doing something about that?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%