Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yo World! Y'all getting H1N1 vaccines?

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Yo World! Y'all getting H1N1 vaccines?
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 06:45:00 PM
This is the CDC's latest P&I report.

(Image removed from quote.)

The graph is pretty clear. P&I deaths passed epidemic levels in week 39 of this year. The number of P&I deaths has grown steadily since then. Now in week 43, P&I deaths are actually already near the epidemic levels seen only at the peak of flu season.

The numbers already indicate that this is already not a typical flu season and the mortality rate is much higher than usual.

Incidentally, mortality rates are not calculated by simply counting how many infected people died as a direct result of the flu, for the simple reason that those numbers are not available.

The P&I mortality data is instead generated by a complex model which uses regression analyses and very specific factors to determine how many excess deaths in a given period were likely attributable to flu.
[

00 Offline Mate

Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 07:01:00 PM
I can get it for free at school so yes  :)

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 11:06:04 AM
I think i may have swine flu. This morning i started coughing up bacon
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 05:07:20 PM
Was it raw or already fried?
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 05:45:41 PM
They had a flue clinic at my school, but only for students. There is a shortage of the vacine up here and it is causing all sorts of issues. With that in mind, I won't be getting it as I feel much of it is hype and fear mongering.

Now as I type this, I am taking the day off from work as I am suffering through some nasty (what I think) food poisoning. Got 30 minutes of sleep last night. Just starting to feel a bit better and its noon.  :o
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 05:58:47 PM
They had a flue clinic at my school, but only for students. There is a shortage of the vacine up here and it is causing all sorts of issues. With that in mind, I won't be getting it as I feel much of it is hype and fear mongering.
Now as I type this, I am taking the day off from work as I am suffering through some nasty (what I think) food poisoning. Got 30 minutes of sleep last night. Just starting to feel a bit better and its noon.  :o

I'm not sure the family of this 38 year old colleague of yours would necessarily agree...

Ottawa 'star' researcher mourned after dying of H1N1

A University of Ottawa chemistry professor who died this week after contracting swine flu is being remembered as a scientific star and a devoted family man.

Keith Fagnou, 38, who was originally from Saskatchewan, died Wednesday in hospital of flu-related complications after being diagnosed with the H1N1 influenza virus.

Fagnou is not believed to have had any pre-existing health conditions that could have led to the flu complications, the University of Ottawa reported.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 06:30:32 PM
OK, I'll make this VERY SIMPLE so y'all can understand this. No one is saying that the Swine flu is harmless. No one is saying that we shouldn't be concerned. OK, do y'all understand what I just said? Reread it if necessary. I'll wait.......OK, what we're saying is that it is being blown WAY out of proportion for what is happening in the real world.

Yes, people are dying from it. That's too bad. And yes, this flu season may be worse than average. But as of right now, this is NOT a repeat of the 1918 Flu outbreak. Dead people aren't piling up in the streets. There's not a dirty guy walking through your neighborhood ringing a bell and yelling out "Bring out your dead!!!" The media is acting like it's killing millions of people, when it IS NOT.

The fact remains that this flu, while probably having a higher mortality rate than regular flu, is not the big bad wolf that scientists keep warning us about. Should we be concerned? Yes, let's make sure we wash our hands and offer high risk people vaccinations. However, it is not time to declare martial law and FORCE everyone to take the vaccine since it does carry risks. And yes, that is a fact too.

Most people who get this flu recover just like most people who get the regular flu. Like I said, in the past few years we've had SARS, we've had monkey pox and the bird flu. And now this. And with each one we kept hearing about how bad it is. The media made them all sound like we were having an outbreak of the Black Plague.

I understand the media needs stories to sell papers and stuff but I'm afraid what is going to happen is that year after year we'll keep hearing about the new "bad" type of flu going around that people will eventually tune it out. Just like the boy who cried wolf that when the really nasty one does hit, people will ignore it until it does kill millions.

So can y'all see why we think this is being blown WAY out of proportion? If that doesn't explain it then I'm sorry but I don't think I can make it any simpler.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 06:48:37 PM
Hospitals around here are on high alert.  We just had a 17 year old girl die from complications of H1N1.  I understand why people think that H1N1 is being blown out of proportion, but honestly I think that if you have access to the vaccine that you should get it.  From what I understand, there have been 3 or 4 patients at the big hospital here that have developed viral meningitis after contracting the flu.  Yes the people who have died, the younger people, that I know of had some pretty serious underlying conditions that severely compromised their immune systems, but it is still a threat.  I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing or trying to change anyone's mind, but they have been administering flu shots for years and it has saved a lot of people.  I'm not getting vaccinated because I'm terrified of the news coverage of H1N1, I'm getting it because I will inevitably come into contact with it either at work or walking through Wal-Mart.  And i don't want to risk passing it on to anyone else.  Ideally, if everyone who presented with flu-like symptoms (either H1N1 or just plain old flu) would stay home then it could be contained.  But unfortunately it doesn't really work with the way that our employers and society punish everyone for that.  I'm not allowed to work if I have a fever, pink eye, or flu like symptoms, per hospital policy, but I get penalized for not being there.  It's a crappy situation all the way around.  

There are all kinds of things that we do to protect ourselves from all kinds of things.  Women are encouraged to do monthly breast exams to help catch breast cancer early, everyone is encouraged to have yearly check-ups with their doctors to check things out and deal with problems, going to the dentist with some kind of frequency, and a boat load of other things that we are all encouraged to do and most of us do.  I realize that the H1N1 vaccine brings up all kinds of unpleasant thoughts and feelings, but if you have the opportunity to get it or the other flu vaccine or both then why not do it?  Why not see it as just one more of the preventative type measures that we are encouraged to do in order to possibly head off a problem early or prevent it altogether?  I know that there has been a lot of questions about the vaccine, but when it comes to my health and safety and that of my niece, mother, father, sister, and my whole family the person I trust most in the world about these types of things is my dad, he's a pharmacist.  This man is so OCD and so meticulous that when he tells me that while there are some very mild, temporary side effects in almost all cases, the vaccine is safe.  He got it for my 2 year old niece, his granddaughter, so that's good enough for me.  I'm not being argumentative, I'm just expressing my opinion on this. 

DTT is right in that the media is not making things any easier right now for the public at large.  He hit the nail on the head when he said that they need to sell papers and make money.  But even if we treat H1N1 as just another particularly nasty strain of flu it still kind of makes sense to me to do whatever I can to protect myself and my family. 

Again, sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing.  I turn over the soap box now.  
Good health to everyone.
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 07:29:42 PM
I rarely get vaccinated, and I have yet to catch the flue except for that one time back in 03, and that knocked me out of work for 3 days. That was incidentally the last time I got vaccinated. They guessed wrong on the flavour of the season that time. It happens.

There is a shortage right now of the vaccine. I am not in the danger category despite my job. Staff was included to receive the vaccine until they amended it for students only due to the shortage. I am not sure if I would have gotten it if given the choice. I rarely get sick. Likewise, I have about 60 paid sick days accumulated since my employment, so I am covered in that regard.

Yes, I do feel the media is hyping this up rather nicely. What concerns me the most is the rather disastrous distribution of the vaccine and the pipeline itself. This has shown glaring issues with the system that I think, in the longer run, will prove more beneficial for the next big thing. In fact, I am now reading some high up Public Health officials who are declaring that the H1N1 is overblown. I also noted that the fear mongers came out soon thereafter to counterbalance that opinion.

At this point, I don't see the need to get vaccinated myself. It may mutate once again and become the mass killer that most people fear. At which point, there will have to be a new vaccine as it won't be exactly the same virus now will it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:37:49 PM by Chako »

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:22 PM
I realize that the H1N1 vaccine brings up all kinds of unpleasant thoughts and feelings, but if you have the opportunity to get it or the other flu vaccine or both then why not do it?
Perhaps we feel that the risks of the vaccine outweigh the potential benefits. The vaccine is not harmless. It has risks. No one in my household is at high risk for the flu. Therefore I believe that by using common sense and keeping our hands washed we can avoid the flu while at the same time not exposing ourselves to the risks that the vaccine has.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 08:59:14 PM
I realize that the H1N1 vaccine brings up all kinds of unpleasant thoughts and feelings, but if you have the opportunity to get it or the other flu vaccine or both then why not do it?
Perhaps we feel that the risks of the vaccine outweigh the potential benefits. The vaccine is not harmless. It has risks. No one in my household is at high risk for the flu. Therefore I believe that by using common sense and keeping our hands washed we can avoid the flu while at the same time not exposing ourselves to the risks that the vaccine has.

Your son is in a high risk group.  Just sayin'.

However, you can and should do as you choose.  Bear in mind that you also must accept the consequences of your actions (or inactions).

That's all.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:46 PM
I understand, DTT.  I didn't mean to lecture or sound like I was telling anyone what to do.  :) 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 09:20:00 PM
Your son is in a high risk group.  Just sayin'.

Maybe if he went to school he might be. But he stays home with me, so even though he may technically be in a "high risk" group as with most things there's exceptions.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #43 on: November 14, 2009, 06:12:38 AM
Ok here is the rub of “to get the vaccine or not?” if enough people get it the flu will not be an issue as it will have fewer people to infect and spared it.  Dose the vaccine have risk yes but so do all other medication.

Should any one be forced into the vaccine no but I think people should get it on the basis that it is in the best interest of society as a whole.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #44 on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:58 PM
Poor Piglet..

:D :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 06:02:47 PM
 :rofl:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 06:37:32 PM
Is this a worldwide effort?  Just curious.

Medical workers balk at mandatory flu vaccines
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5AC57F20091113?sp=true

Seems kind of strange that medical workers would refuse the vaccine - maybe they know something about it that the general public doesn't know.

N

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00:29 PM

Seems kind of strange that medical workers would refuse the vaccine - maybe they know something about it that the general public doesn't know.

I think your answer lies in this quote from the story:

But data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that only about 40 percent of U.S. healthcare workers ever get shots for seasonal influenza.

In that 40% will inevitably be some who have "unique" perspectives on the whole vaccination issue.  There are even healthcare workers who refuse to practice good handwashing technique.  Do they know something too?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 09:30:05 PM

But data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that only about 40 percent of U.S. healthcare workers ever get shots for seasonal influenza.

In that 40% will inevitably be some who have "unique" perspectives on the whole vaccination issue.  There are even healthcare workers who refuse to practice good handwashing technique.  Do they know something too?

Maybe I'm just a tad slow today, but I can't see what you are implying here.

You state that among the 40 percent who are vaccinated some harbor "unique" perspectives.  Yeah, I agree that among any large group of people there will likely be some with "unique" perspectives.

But, I don't follow what that has to with the larger group of 60 percent who don't get vaccinated, or with handwashing technique.

That only 40 percent of medical workers get the seasonal flu vaccine sort of surprises me - I would have guessed the rate among medical workers to be higher than that.

Better medical knowledge than the general public, easy availability, and encouragement from management.  If all those advantages can't produce better than a 40 percent rate, then there seems to be little hope to reach even that rate for the general population.

N

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:17 PM
I can't speak for the whole of the healthcare community, but of the people that I work with...most of them simply say that they don't want to be told that they have to do something like get a flu shot or the H1N1 vaccine.  I'll admit that I"m one of those people.  I get the flu shot every year because i choose to, just like any other person.  I, however, do not want my employers telling me that it is mandatory that I get it or any other vaccine.  There are certain vaccinations that I gladly and willingly submit to at work.  I have to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B.  Blood borne diseases are really, really bad and it protects me.  I never batted an eyelash at being told that I have to do that or that I have to tested for TB every year because again it protects me against something particularly nasty. 

Most health care workers that I know, yes, are concerned about the questions regarding the safety of the vaccine but of the people that I work with (a small sample of only about 100 people) if asked to offer a personal opinion about being required to get the vaccine they are like every other person in this country that is up in arms about the prospect of mandatory vaccinations for everyone. 

This is probably gonna get some people upset, but my personal opinion is that the hospitals should be limiting visitor contact in the hospitals.  They also need to screen patients better when they come into the ER with flu like symptoms.  We get patients sent up to my floor, a heart floor, with flu like symptoms that are never reported to us.  That's a big big big mistake.  If someone comes into the hospital with H1N1 symptoms, they need to be put into isolation from the get go.  The hospital that I work at doesn't do nearly enough to protect it's employees with basic policies and procedures and staffing, yet they are considering mandating that we get vaccinated...Oh and if we do, by chance have a reaction to the shot or get the flu anyway they'll penalize us if we don't come to work because we don't want to spread it. 

It's a crappy situation, but I think that article boils down to people wanting the hospitals to update it's policies to better protect both patients and STAFF and quite simply not wanting to be told that we have to.  Flu shot drives in my hospital is not a nice procedure.  Basically you are brow beat and harrassed within and inch of your sanity to get one.  I don't think that's the correct way to go about it.  But that's just me.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 10:52:16 PM

Maybe I'm just a tad slow today, but I can't see what you are implying here.

You state that among the 40 percent who are vaccinated some harbor "unique" perspectives.  Yeah, I agree that among any large group of people there will likely be some with "unique" perspectives.

But, I don't follow what that has to with the larger group of 60 percent who don't get vaccinated, or with handwashing technique.

That only 40 percent of medical workers get the seasonal flu vaccine sort of surprises me - I would have guessed the rate among medical workers to be higher than that.

Better medical knowledge than the general public, easy availability, and encouragement from management.  If all those advantages can't produce better than a 40 percent rate, then there seems to be little hope to reach even that rate for the general population.

Sorry my mistype.  I meant in that 60%, not 40%.   Basically, there are a lot of nurses, docs, phlebotomists, lab techs, etc who don't want to get vaccinated for a whole variety of reasons, most of which are NOT medically sound reasons.  My further point is that even though we ALL know the importance of handwashing, there are a lot of healthcare workers who refuse to do that correctly (if at all).  Just cuz some choose to do their jobs suboptimally, doesn't mean there's a medical reason behind it.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #51 on: November 15, 2009, 11:18:22 PM
Sorry my mistype.  I meant in that 60%, not 40%.   Basically, there are a lot of nurses, docs, phlebotomists, lab techs, etc who don't want to get vaccinated for a whole variety of reasons, most of which are NOT medically sound reasons.  My further point is that even though we ALL know the importance of handwashing, there are a lot of healthcare workers who refuse to do that correctly (if at all).  Just cuz some choose to do their jobs suboptimally, doesn't mean there's a medical reason behind it.

Thanks for the clarification - I get your point now.

Nevertheless, since a sizable MAJORITY of medical professionals refuse vaccination, is it any surprise that a large part of the general populace is highly suspicious of flu vaccines?

For good or ill, most laymen tend to believe that medical professionals, for the most part, know what they're doing and act reasonably.

If the medicos can't persuade even HALF of their own number to be vaccinated, why should they expect to do any better with the population at large?

N

us Offline Pacu

Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 11:25:05 PM
After being forced to take vaccines i like to exercise my right not to . Now if it were for Ebola or the Rage virus i'd be first in line. ::)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 03:32:34 AM
After watching the film 2012, I prepping for the end of the world :ahhh
If it comes from Woody Harrelson(aka. Charlie Frost),it must be true
 ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgM65EOfyGU
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #54 on: November 25, 2009, 08:07:54 PM
Getting it on Saturday :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 03:05:28 AM
No swine flu for me or my family.  I'd rather have a mild strain of flu like the Swine Flu then take a vaccine that has caused so many disabilities and deaths.  I'd rather not risk putting something in my body that can harm me, and doing it ON PURPOSE.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 03:17:40 AM
No swine flu for me or my family.  I'd rather have a mild strain of flu like the Swine Flu then take a vaccine that has caused so many disabilities and deaths.  I'd rather not risk putting something in my body that can harm me, and doing it ON PURPOSE.

Data is always nice...

us Offline Pacu

Reply #57 on: November 26, 2009, 04:08:45 AM

Data is always nice...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: November 26, 2009, 04:18:53 AM
My three daughters have all been vaccinated. So far in my area they are only vaccinating children.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #59 on: November 26, 2009, 07:34:09 AM
There's only literally a one in 1 million chance of complication  :)

Don't believe the scare mongers
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24