Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I Go Pro?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Should I Go Pro?
on: July 03, 2018, 04:44:30 AM
I've been looking at the Juice series, and as my introduction to it, should I just buy a Pro to start out with? I know I've been all over the place with SAKs, with buying those that do everything, to those that just do what I need, then the same thing again.

And as a collector's item, should I retire it from EDC, will these become pricer than they already are in the future (with LM ditching most of the Juices this year).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Should I Go Pro?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:57:48 PM
I had a Pro, and though bulky and heavy, I loved it, it was my second Leatherman ever and saved my butt dozens if times,
that awl was great as were the scissors. Mine was pushed beyond its capabilities and the jaws bent and become misaligned,

so I brought it for repairs at the LM facility and guess who repaired it with a hammer  :D in the workshop  :ahhh hitting the pivot (here in the background of the pic...and it worked perfectly and centered afterwards  :multi:)

he also signed it, so it became an instant shelf queen for me, otherwise I would still carry it   :salute:

to me it's the "Swisschamp" of Leathemans  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:49:17 PM
The Pro is a great tool, but it's not really significantly different from the XE6 in my books.  To be honest, I'd say that if it's your tool and you want to use then by all means use it.  Life is too short not to do what you want.

On the other hand, if, like me, you are tied up in a tool's rarity and don't want to use it, that makes perfect sense, so get yourself an XE6 and pretend.  :D

I wouldn't count on the increase in price if I were you.  SAKs have been around a lot longer and have a lot more hard to find, rare and discontinued models, and even the best examples rarely go over a couple of hundred bucks.  While that may not exactly be chump change, it isn't really enough to alter your retirement plans. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 06:16:27 AM
I had a Pro, and though bulky and heavy, I loved it, it was my second Leatherman ever and saved my butt dozens if times,
that awl was great as were the scissors. Mine was pushed beyond its capabilities and the jaws bent and become misaligned,

(Image removed from quote.)

so I brought it for repairs at the LM facility and guess who repaired it with a hammer  :D in the workshop  :ahhh hitting the pivot (here in the background of the pic...and it worked perfectly and centered afterwards  :multi:)

he also signed it, so it became an instant shelf queen for me, otherwise I would still carry it   :salute:

TP, could I have a look at the marks left on pliers pivot when the Great Sir repair the pliers? Thanks!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 01:32:06 PM

TP, could I have a look at the marks left on pliers pivot when the Great Sir repair the pliers? Thanks!

due to this thread and being Throwback Thursday I pulled it out for the memories  ::)

here you have, one side and the other of the pivot (that is grease, not rust  :whistle:)

:salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 02:32:37 PM

due to this thread and being Throwback Thursday I pulled it out for the memories  ::)

here you have, one side and the other of the pivot (that is grease, not rust  :whistle:)

:salute:

Thanks TP! I have never see seen one that was repaired from the factory before.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 03:41:25 PM
Great pics of the Pro Peacent  :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:36:17 PM
Should you go Pro?  If you enjoy the tool then you should use it and enjoy it.  Thinking about future value thus you taking it out of EDC to later sell it?  I have have a Pro that was bought purely for shelf queen status so I totally get it.  I have tried my Juice S2 and more recently my CS4 ( old style ).  I actually like the CS4 and have been carrying it on my belt for work.  I have my TTi on my work tool pouch.  I know its not in the same price category as the Pro but my thought is, if enjoy using the Pro then use it.  What potential future value do you think would tempt you to sell?  And would you? 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 11:30:24 PM
well I can't say I'll sell mine because it's one of my 4 Horsemen of the TimCalypse   :D :multi:

My toys:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 07:21:22 AM
You signed tools  :drool:.  I'd have those behind glass on the wall with a light on them in full display mode.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:57:55 AM
Not only that, Aloha. Tim fixed the Juice pro himself.  :drool:

That well used juice pro, that TP has, may be the most valuable juice out there. Signed, proof Tim personally fixed it, and it's a desirable model. :like:

Very awesome stuff, TP!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 03:05:21 PM
 :hatsoff:

Very true. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!