Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger SI Question

00 Offline 1jump2many

Wenger SI Question
on: November 14, 2009, 12:12:04 AM
I've got a couple Wenger Standard Issue SAK's.  One of them has a date stamp of 04 on the tang and the other doesn't have any date stamp on the tang.  Is it common for Wenger not to put date stamps on their tangs?  Is the lack of a date stamp some kind of fluke?  Any help is appreciated.

[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Wenger SI Question
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:14:52 AM
Is the unstamped brand new and very recent?
I'm back!!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:50 AM
Is the unstamped brand new and very recent?

Yes, both I bought over the Summer.
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 12:22:18 AM
The stamped ones were official Swiss Army Issue. The non date stamped versions were never issued to the Swiss Army as Victorinox took over that job 100%, albeit, Victorinox does own Wenger. Wenger produces them now as a sort of civilian version...much like a Victorinox Pioneer.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 01:12:28 AM
The stamped ones were official Swiss Army Issue. The non date stamped versions were never issued to the Swiss Army as Victorinox took over that job 100%, albeit, Victorinox does own Wenger. Wenger produces them now as a sort of civilian version...much like a Victorinox Pioneer.

Thanks for the info.  It's weird because I bought them both at the same place, Gander Mountain.  Not at the same time though. 
[

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:19:00 AM
:cry: Its sad really that now only one line will be collected for their year date stamps.  :salute: However I am glad they are keeping the 93mm alox line soldier since the regular soldier has changed to the newer style. There is just something about that Alox.  :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:54:14 AM
Personally, I like the bail on the Wenger over the Victorinox soldier myself.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:11:17 AM

I agree with you Chako.  I have two Vic Alox Soldiers and two Wenger SI's.  I EDC the SI that doesn't have the date stamp on the tang.  The vast majority of the time it's purely a pocket knife but I like having the ability to tie some paracord to it if need be. 
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:08:33 AM
+1 on that :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 05:55:46 PM
I think I'd prefer the bail as well, if mine had one.  :D
I'm back!!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 06:57:02 PM
I think I'd prefer the bail as well, if mine had one.  :D

What years did the Vic Soldier have hollow rivets on them?  Put a Wenger SI bail on one of them.  Sort of senseless to do when the SI has it but I wonder how many would notice?  :D
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:14 PM
I want a Farmer with the bail. That'd be Heaven in the palm of your hand.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 08:54:30 PM
I want a Farmer with the bail. That'd be Heaven in the palm of your hand.

Yeah, that would be cool.  Especially since the Farmer is my favorite alox Vic.  Maybe one of these crafty members could mod one?
[

england Offline jacknife

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:49:18 AM
I've got both the Vic and the Wenger and I always thought I'd like the Wenger with the bail more...but
I've found I never use the bail and its not as comfortable to use, so I have reverted to the Vic.

Now if I was doing anything where it would mean life or death if I lost the knife...that would be different.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 01:30:52 AM
What years did the Vic Soldier have hollow rivets on them?  Put a Wenger SI bail on one of them.  Sort of senseless to do when the SI has it but I wonder how many would notice?  :D
Evidently the last year that a Victorinox Soldier had a hollow rivet was 1993 so any after that would have the normal rivet.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:22 AM
Evidently the last year that a Victorinox Soldier had a hollow rivet was 1993 so any after that would have the normal rivet.

Nice collection... have a spare 89 Vic? >.>  :pok:

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 05:47:21 AM

Stress, you've got to put a Wenger SI bail on one of them and take a picture just for grins.  Carefully I might add.   :pok:  Once again GREAT collection!   :cheers:
[

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 07:14:55 AM

Stress, you've got to put a Wenger SI bail on one of them and take a picture just for grins.  Carefully I might add.   :pok:  Once again GREAT collection!   :cheers:
The box is long and this is just a shot of some Vic's. Here are some of the Wenger SI's.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 02:56:19 PM
What year is the red SI all the way to the right?  Is it even called a Standard Issue?  Since you have it next to your Wenger's I'm assuming it's a Wenger.  Plus the cross looks like a Wenger.  Whatever it is called, it looks to be in very nice condition for it's age.  :tu:  I would still like to see you put a bail on one of the Vic Soldiers just to see if anyone would notice.   :D  Just temporarily.  Shoot if from a top angle so you could see the awl in the closed position.  Besides the blade tang stamp and the bail itself that is the only other slight aesthetic difference.  Very nice collection!   :cheers:
[

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:46 PM
The old red fiber scaled one is actually a Victorinox Soldier with no date stamp. The tools and backsprings are like new! The only way I figure this happened is it was sent to the factory for repair and had a clean up and new blade installed maybe. It has the W/K stamp on the front scale though so that makes me think it was an issue knife and not a "private" one. I am guessing it was a mid to late 1950's model. I bought it from a Swiss eBay seller that sells loads of old soldiers. Here are a few photos of just this knife. The backsprings are so strong on these old soldiers it is amazing compared to modern day ones.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 06:34:25 PM
That is a really nice Soldier.  Did you have to clean it up any?  I've seen a few old Soldiers similar to it on eBay and they are usually in a lot worse condition.  I thought about buying one and sending it off to Vic to be refurbished.  I sent my first Vic SAK I ever bought to Vic in CT to be refurbished and they did a bad job of it.  I emailed Vic in Ibach about it and the CT customer relations person called me and told me they would redo the job but this time send it to Ibach.  It's been about a month now I expect it to be probably another month before I get it back.  If I bought an old Soldier like yours I would definitely send it to Ibach to have them refurbish it.  Vic in CT is more of Vic's distributer.  They don't have the same level of craftsman as Ibach does.
[

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 07:43:01 PM
I did no cleaning on this knife, it is just like when I bought it. Like I mentioned, I think it was sent to Ibach sometime and properly refurbished with a new blade and maybe even some new tools. It is hard to say. The seller I bought it from goes around buying old Swiss knives from folks in Switzerland. I figure he sells most as is and a few he might have sent in to Ibach.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%