Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

6 month trip to the USA....

Roadie · 131 · 7987

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
6 month trip to the USA....
on: November 18, 2009, 06:37:07 PM
Hello :)

Haven't been very active on here recently, mainly due to my work load, but also trying to sort out next year and what i would be doing!

Well as the title says, I will be spending 6 months in the US from Jan till June touring as the sound tech for the Mwangaza Childrens Choir http://mwangazachoir.org/ going through Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Colorado. I'll be doing a few shows a week and spending the rest of the time acting as a 'chaperone' for the kids. Two of my friends are also going to be helping out so that's good :)

Hopefully get to do some sightseeing and some other cool stuff while I am there, should be a great opportunity and experience for me :)

But guess what....I am once again not getting paid for it!! I just can't seem to say no to these things :D

So....
Any advice on what to take for a 6month trip, gonna have to limit it to what i can carry in one rucksack (about 60L) and keep it under the weight limit for luggage! Never really had to pack for a trip of this length, and i'm asking everyone i know to come up with suggestions!!

Hopefully i'll have a netbook for internet and camera dumps. So expect to see plenty of pics :)

Ryan!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 6 month trip to the USA....
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:49:05 PM
Sounds fantastic Ryan. :tu:

As to what to take.... :think:

I'd go light on clothes; they'll take up a lot of room in a 60L rucksack and can be had cheaply over there (I know you said you're not getting paid but do you have any kind of spending budget)?

Even if not clothes you'll still want to buy one or two things over there so leave yourself a good bit of packing space in your bag for any extras you might pick up.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:52:05 PM
Sounds fantastic Ryan. :tu:

As to what to take.... :think:

I'd go light on clothes; they'll take up a lot of room in a 60L rucksack and can be had cheaply over there (I know you said you're not getting paid but do you have any kind of spending budget)?

Even if not clothes you'll still want to buy one or two things over there so leave yourself a good bit of packing space in your bag for any extras you might pick up.

Thanks for that, especially the last point :) Will be drawing up a rough list in the next couple of days and will post it to be scrutinised!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:16 PM
Along those lines, pack only enough socks and underwear for a couple days.  There's a Walmart in every town.  Buy a 3 pack of each and wear and discard.  For toiletries etc same advice.  Tiny packages.  Replace as needed.  The UK pound will make American goods seem incredibly cheap.  It is hard to get money changed in the US, so either get dollars ahead of time or have debit/credit card for transactions.

There are laundromats all over the place.  But more importantly, young American women LOVE British accents.  You could easily go the entire 6 months and have people/women offering you home cooked meals and use of their laundry/shower etc.  I am totally serious.  If you're going to be in the West Virginia/Maryland/Virginia area, let me know.

:tu:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:13:18 PM
Sounds awesome. If you travel through the Ozarks(South Missouri or North Arkansas) gimme a PM or email. Tool wise, if I were doing it I'd carry a Kick. Simple, cheap and no locks so no matter what you'll be legal. Plus if you lose you it can get another at any Wal-Mart.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:09:14 PM
Great stuff dude, you'll have a whale of a time  :D

I'd definitely pack light and do some shopping, especially if the exchange rate is still good. As for throwing away underwear, I have to disagree with that as it's a horrible waste of resources  :o
You only need a weeks worth anyway and get to a laundrette regularly to chat up the birds ;)

I'll be in NYC and NC in April myself... just booked a little trip for us  :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:13:47 PM
Yay, we're getting rid off you for a whole half a year :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :D

So let me get this straight, the British Transport Police have got you down as a terrorist, so you thought you'd go somewhere where every bugger has a gun, and a desire to ''pot'' a terrorist :think: :D

I'd be just taking the barest essentials, and stuff to keep you and your kit in good repair :)

Other than that, I believe there fairly well stocked over the pond :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:14:07 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:02:03 PM
If your down around Houston Texas look me up. I'll point you in the direction of some good bbq, some excellent mountain biking, and world class catfishing.

As for packing  bring some shorts and a fleece. Standard Texas wear.  ::) :D

As for tools ..pretty much any kind of blade is kosher here. Aside from butterfly knives, switchblades >:D......i can show you where to get those but good luck getting them home. :ahhh
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:04:34 PM by Pacu »
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:04:48 AM
Dude that sounds awesome.  :)
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:54 AM
I've heard it's not safe to drink the water, and you'd better pack some teabags  :P

Sounds like fun mate - have a great time :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:18 AM
Tennessee and Colorado are true "Gods" country. I've spent alot of time backpacking thru the Rockies in Scouts in and around Colorado. Tennesee has some fine distilleries to get your flask filled. ;)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:02 AM
Congrats! (now he's gonna buy all our MTs! :ahhh )

that's winter time buddy! Expect blizzard snows in Colorado (and cold) but you should be fine in the other states.
if your company is not going to pay you try to get them to buy you clothes "IF" you need them here (winter stuff)
and if you don't need it, everyone will be happy, but get something! you can't pack for all that time and weather
conditions.

always ask the locals or hotel people where the best food places are (and the reasonable ones) they usually
are very helpful with that.

I agree with Mr Whippy, talk to any females you like, your accent will open doors! (wink wink)
I wouldn't worry about crime much (similar to you) but make sure to lock everything and not
leave stuff unattended, times are tough all over.

your gonna have a blast! (I mean gerber) and we'll help you out as much as possible mate  ;)

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:54:40 AM
Feel free to ship some clothes here.  I will hold them for ya and ship them to you at certain intervals.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:21 AM
Feel free to ship some clothes here.  I will hold them for ya and ship them to you at certain intervals.

Great idea.  Anything you want shipped ahead, I'll help out and ship to wherever you want, whenever you want.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45:57 AM
I've heard it's not safe to drink the water, and you'd better pack some teabags  :P

Sounds like fun mate - have a great time :tu:

And Marmite!  Don't forget to pack your own Marmite. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 05:08:53 PM
Sounds like a fun trip Roadie! Hopefully you will have some time off to get out and do a little sight seeing. 8)  Do you have a laptop computer you can take along to stay in contact with us?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:48 PM

Hopefully i'll have a netbook for internet and camera dumps. So expect to see plenty of pics :)

Ryan!

poor Bob, the cold musta really got to him :P ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 09:31:07 PM
Hehehe!  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:16 PM
Or here's another idea; perhaps you could take along a netbook and post plenty of pics for us. :)

::) :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 10:33:22 PM
Or here's another idea; perhaps you could take along a netbook and post plenty of pics for us. :)
 ::) :P
That's such a great idea, Bob...  :tu:

::) ::)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:48:38 PM
Hey Bob, maybe I could take some sort of computer with me and connect it to that thing called the internet and maybe I could then take some pics on a camera of some description then sort of put them on the internet for people to look at.....well it's an idea.... :P :D

Thanks for all the ideas guys :)

Laundry won't be a problem as we will be staying with host families for most of it so will have plenty of access to washing machines, i'm with Nuph on the throwing away underwear though, thats just wrong! Plus i like my boxers and socks (infact i'm quite picky about my socks, so will be taking my own :) )

As for Mike ::) ::) :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 11:53:25 PM
Hey Bob, maybe I could take some sort of computer with me and connect it to that thing called the internet and maybe I could then take some pics on a camera of some description then sort of put them on the internet for people to look at.....well it's an idea.... :P :D

Laundry won't be a problem as we will be staying with host families for most of it so will have plenty of access to washing machines, i'm with Nuph on the throwing away underwear though, thats just wrong! Plus i like my boxers and socks (infact i'm quite picky about my socks, so will be taking my own :) )

Well sure, I suppose you could do that too if you wanted. But I still like my idea better. :D

And as regards Nuph and the underwear; she suggested only taking a week's worth. Hell, doesn't she realize you're a guy? :think: That would only be one pair! :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 11:57:22 PM

Well sure, I suppose you could do that too if you wanted. But I still like my idea better. :D

Don't get me wrong your idea has some merits but i just think my idea has the edge on it :P

And as regards Nuph and the underwear; she suggested only taking a week's worth. Hell, doesn't she realize you're a guy? :think: That would only be one pair! :D

I thought that was what she meant.... :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 11:59:26 PM

Don't get me wrong your idea has some merits but i just think my idea has the edge on it :P

Ewwww.  *shudders*  :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 12:01:04 AM

Ewwww.  *shudders*  :ahhh

What? I suppose you're some sort of nancy-boy that changes your shorts twice a week? ::) ::) :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 12:06:26 AM

Ewwww.  *shudders*  :ahhh

What? I suppose you're some sort of nancy-boy that changes your shorts twice a week? ::) ::) :D

:P  I change boxers at the same rate as my socks and shirts; every day, thank you very much.  :twak:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 12:17:20 AM
The way I figure it, you chaps get 4 days out of one pair right?

YOU DIRTY BUGGERS 

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 12:22:05 AM

YOU DIRTY BUGGERS  (Image removed from quote.)

Hey, better than them going commando. :P  Where's that commando emoticon? XD

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:21 AM

YOU DIRTY BUGGERS  (Image removed from quote.)

Hey, better than them going commando. :P  Where's that commando emoticon? XD

(I'm scared that there might actually be one) :cry:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%