Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The season of giving

yud · 14 · 1368

Poll

How do you feel about donating?

everyone should know
people close to me should know
just me & tax man
No one should know
other

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
The season of giving
on: November 20, 2009, 06:09:57 AM
Christmas is coming up which can mean only one thing every charity will be out asking for something.

How do you feel about donating?

I feel it should be between you who the money is going to and the tax man.

But I see people on the other side, like my church is wanting people to donate money and chairs out loud during the service, and everyone points money that is given away by celebrities like I remember being in a Les vr. Bear debate and the guy says bear give lots of money charity.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: The season of giving
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:28 AM
I'm donating in the light giveaway on CPF. I believe if you have something you don't need give it to someone who does. Also why were on the subject how does everyone feel about a Christmas giveaway on here?
(

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:05:07 AM
Don't really care either way. I don't brag about it but if someone wants to let him go for it. As far as celebrities are concerned, it's nothing more than publicity and what gives the best tax deduction calculated by their accountant.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:32:23 AM
I hate when big corporations give stuff to charity just for a tax right off. Its kinda missing the point.
(

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:52:46 AM
Unless its a big fundraiser style thing, which gives the charity some publicity as well, I think it should be kept between you and who you're donating the money to.

At the end of the day as long as the money goes to those who need it I'm happy.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:22:42 PM
I always donate to the SPCA and local shelters.  Everyone else is feeling bad for children at home and abroad and no one remembers to feed the animals at Christmas.  I like animals...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:54:16 PM
TBH, as long as people are giving to charities, I don't see a problem in who knows.

I used to donate a bit to a couple, but as I now work for a charity I have stopped completely.  This is basically because I get payed really poorly compared to most in my position, and so I justify it in my head by thinking that the £1000's I am short are just donations I am making each month to the cause.   :D
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:02:29 PM
As I do the lottery every week I'm kinda giving to charities every week as a percentage goes direct to good causes  :tu:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:05:01 PM
The next time a preacher tells you to tithe, tell him that he needs to read the Bible again. Tithing is NOT supported by Scripture. This link is LONG but it's great.

http://www.bible-truths.com/tithing.html

If you want to skip the link, it all boils down to this.

ONLY LANDOWNERS TITHED

ONLY PRODUCTS OF THE LAND WERE TITHED

ONLY LEVITES COULD RECEIVE THE TITHES

TITHING WAS A LAW OF MOSES

CHRISTIANS ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES!

Hey, the preacher of the church I used to go to told me to read the Bible. I did and found out that he hasn't got a clue. Neither do most preachers.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:37:36 PM
I think global and act local.  I donate to local charities with LOW overhead costs.  If a charity doesn't have greater than 85% of donations going DIRECTLY to help, somebody's living high on the hog off the charity of others.

United Way (in the US) doesn't get a dime from me due to the abuse of this sort in years' past (and apparently currently again).

:-\

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 06:58:17 PM
I won't donate to the Red Cross either. I've talked to several people who have been in disaster situations who say that the Red Cross is great at showing up at disasters but actually do very little except get on the news and beg for money. If I had only heard it once I might write it off as someone who had a bad experience but I've heard it from several people.

When I donate money I usually do St Jude's. I've also given to the Shriners, Toys for Tots, Children's Miracle network and the Ronald McDonald House. Yeah, I'm a sucker for kids. But I believe that every child deserves a happy childhood.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 09:25:38 PM
I think global and act local.  I donate to local charities with LOW overhead costs.  If a charity doesn't have greater than 85% of donations going DIRECTLY to help, somebody's living high on the hog off the charity of others.

United Way (in the US) doesn't get a dime from me due to the abuse of this sort in years' past (and apparently currently again).

:-\

Yeah that's one of the reasons I'm wary of any charity, you never know if you are donating to buy somebody's food and clothing or buy somebody's Ferrari.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 10:01:26 PM
I always donate to the SPCA and local shelters.  Everyone else is feeling bad for children at home and abroad and no one remembers to feed the animals at Christmas.  I like animals...

Def

I'm with Def..

I'm not a people person...I'd rather give to animal shelters not run by the Humane Society or Peta...or donate to local aquariums. I'm on first name basis with a few  ichthyologists :D
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 10:10:32 PM
I do what I can when I can, but that often isn't a huge financial contribution due to my own circumstances.

I am however starting as a volunteer at the local hospital soon as time is something I can afford at the moment :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69