Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mp3 Players

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Mp3 Players
on: May 24, 2007, 04:04:36 AM
I've had this one for over a year or so now, and I've always been happy with it.  Recently I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Creative Zen 2gig player, which I was pretty excited about.  After all, my trusty old Lyra only has 512megs on board. 

After considering it for a while, I turned down the Creative Zen model because it represented a step backwards for me.  One of the reasons I bought this model (and a previous (256mb) version for a friend, and a 128mb version for my wife, all when they were state of the art!) is because of the card reader built into them.  My reasoning was that I could always put additional cards in them, and since I use SD cards in my cameras and Pocket PC's so I have lots of cards available. 

I also have two 2g cards so in theory I could easily have two and a half gigs, far beyond the 2 gig player that was available!  At an average of 5mb/song, I could have about 100 extra songs on my little machine than the new one.

Plus, I hate on board rechargeable batteries.  My teeny little Lyra can get several days straight on a single AAA battery, which are available almost anywhere.  A rechargeable battery in a hard drive based system won't last nearly as long, and when it's dead (for good, not when it needs recharging), the whole machine has to go.

So I have more space and better battery life, and much more easily replaced battery, which is pretty important.  The only drawbacks to the Lyra are I can't organize playlists (don't care much) and the display isn't backlit, which I also don't care about.

Seems I done good when I picked this bugger out!

Def
RCALyra.JPG
* RCALyra.JPG (Filesize: 82 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Thargor

Re: Mp3 Players
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:31:14 AM
I cant use those little ones, 2 - 4 gig is nowhere near enough for me, I like to have most of my collection in my pocket and set it to random shuffle, I love walking to work like that. Ive got a 30 gig Zen Vision: M

and it is without a doubt the best player Ive ever owned, it has all the drawbacks you mentioned like the internal rechargeable battery but I was lucky to find a very small charger on Ebay, the wire on it is only about 20 inches long and the plug is one of those small thin ones so I have no problem keeping it in my bag, a 2 hour charge usually lasts me 2 or 3 days anyway. Everything about it is perfect, the screen is the best Ive ever seen on any portable, its so clear that theres no problem watching films on it, you dont even notice you're watching an mp3 player after a few minutes, its way better than the iPod or anything else: (not a great comparison shot there but its the only one I could find)

The sound quality is amazing, every other player Ive tried has always seemed a bit tinny like an old transistor radio, not as bad as that but you know what I mean, a decent set of headphones with a Vision: M will give you the best sound quality you could ask for.

Its annoying that you're player has to be installed on a pc before you can upload songs to it but its really not that inconvenient, especially compared to iTunes. The software is excellent anyway, it cleans up your whole collection with proper names and tags and adds album art to every album.

I love this player, and it came with a 3 year replacement guarantee so Ill probably be able to upgrade it to the 60 gig model or bigger in a couple of years time.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:29:15 PM
That looks like a handy little machine- I use my hand held for watching movies.  I have a Palm Tungsten E that has been a faithful workhorse, but after recently upgrading to a used PPC (which has since died on me :( ) I have gone back to the Palm.  Of course, with 1/3 of the screen taken away because of the writing portion I've decided to invest in another PPC, this time an iPaq 2495.

I have over 20 gigs of music on my computer right now, and I haven't even ripped a quarter my CD's yet.  I plan on sending them all to a friend when I am done.  There is no way in heck I'd want to carry that much music with me.  Of course I am used to the "good old days" when you were lucky to have an hour's worth of music on a double length cassette, or two hours if you made a mix tape on a 120!  If you wanted more you had to carry a buttload of extra cassettes, and batteries too because they usually lasted through one tape and maybe a little more before Freddy Mercury started to sound like a baritone!

I had a Discman in the early days but quickly went back to cassette players when I decided skipping and scratched CD's weren't for me.  That's one of the things that amazes me about the small flash player I have- it only takes one battery that lasts forever, it's smaller than some of my old pagers, holds a few days worth of music (if played constantly) and it defeats the one drawback I had with Mp3's- with cassettes and CD's I could play them in the car.  I recently replaced my car stereo with an Mp3 model.  I can plug in my Mp3 player, flash drive or SD card and listen in the car now.

And it's soooo much more convenient to carry a few SD cards in the small plastic cases than it was to carry even one tape.

But then I also have a collection of 8 tracks somewhere....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:31:36 PM
Def,

I have always used my PDA as my MP3 player.  I've got a 2 gig card in my Tapwave that's 3/4 full of music.  It's handy cause I always have it with me.  And like you indicated above, I can always bring along extra cards if I need more music.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 04:14:34 AM
I really liked the Tapwave design and concept, but I still like to keep them separate.  I also don't like mp3 phones for that reason- I'd hate to kill my phone battery with music and end up not having it when I need it.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%