Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp...

Poll

Are you excited about the new SOGs?

I'm "going to love playing [those piano] keys!"
7 (53.8%)
One word: Power-Assist! (or do hyphenated words count as two?)
3 (23.1%)
What's a SOG?  Where am I?  Sometimes I black out when I'm drinking.
2 (15.4%)
You'll have to pry my original PowerLock out of my cold, dead hands!
0 (0%)
Don't get me started about the war!
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Offline supratentorial

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp...
on: May 24, 2007, 06:18:54 AM
No posts in this forum for almost a week!   :-[  The Powerlock 2.0 is scheduled for release in mid June.  And the PowerAssist is scheduled for release in August (EOD model is scheduled for release in September).  Is everyone patiently awaiting the release of the new SOG multi-tools?  :pok: 

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Chirp, Chirp, Chirp...
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:24:28 AM
I think I'm looking forward to the PowerCut the most.  It's different, and I like that.  Plus, I'm thinking it'll cut through most of the packaging/wire ties for the kids presents at Christmas :)  Bondage Barbie will be free!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:09:55 PM
I think I'm looking forward to the PowerCut the most.  It's different, and I like that...

The PowerCut sort of looks like a cross between the PT-540 and the Gerber Cable Cutter.

I like it!  It's a great excuse to carry TWO multi-tools--one with a cutter and one with a pliers. :cheers:

...Plus, I'm thinking it'll cut through most of the packaging/wire ties for the kids presents at Christmas :)  Bondage Barbie will be free!

Your K-mart must have a better selection of Barbies than my local store!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 03:23:24 PM by supratentorial »

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 03:18:13 PM
I keep forgetting about the Gerber Cable Cutter.... that might be one worth picking up.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:40:58 PM
I'm looking forward to trying out the wire stripper accessory for the PowerLock.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 03:41:33 PM

Offline supratentorial

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 03:49:02 PM
SOG, Bring back GOLD TINI!

...BLACK TINI would be even better!

Offline plowboy

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:39:57 PM
I'm looking forward to the new SOGs.  It's good to see the AUS 8 blade.

I like those piano keys too.
 :)

us Offline Splat

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:16:14 PM
If there's any way to move the Phillips and maybe more over to the outside-opening handle then I may get one. I originally mistakenly thought the whole Power Assist would be an outside-opener, but alas... it'ain't true. :(
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 06:50:39 AM
As far as we know, is the PowerLock 2.0 simply a regular PowerLock with piano keys?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Thargor

Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:54 AM
I wish they'd just left those nice cogs (is cog the right word here? They have teeth anyway) on the new ones, rounding them off just looks wrong.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 11:44:46 AM
I wonder why SOG are not creating tools with outside opening implements? Is there something about the specific design which doesn't allow them to do what victorinox has done with their multitools?

because I think that's a major factor which affects people's decision to not go with a SOG tool, I know it definitely made me skip them when I was choosing my first tool. Even now, even with all the cool stuff SOG has, I am still held back by the fact that I would have to open the tool to access anything.

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:27:48 PM
EXACTLY. I dig the SOG look, their supposed reliability, and their ability to be modified. However, until they come out with an outside-opener I'll keep away from them. SOG seems to be on the cutting edge(pun time! :cheers: ) of multis but not coming out with an outside-opener(yet)? .... I can't understand it. I was all stoked about the Power Assist because I mistakenly thought it -was- an OO, but it's not. Just the blade is. Maybe they have an OO in the works and hopefully it'll be out soon. I just can't wait that long though. I'm sticking with my LM Core until I can get the $$ for a Vic Spirit S.
Splat

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:30:28 AM
As far as we know, is the PowerLock 2.0 simply a regular PowerLock with piano keys?

The plier head is diffrent also I belive (more wire cutting area)

And I too with they would have left the gear teeth 'exposed'... It doesn't look like taking the covers off will be easy..>:(

I don't think I'll buy one straight away since they will be so damn expensive, but when the prices come down I'll get one (and promptly remove the C4 punch...no need in my line of work ;D)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 04:38:08 PM
I wonder why SOG are not creating tools with outside opening implements? Is there something about the specific design which doesn't allow them to do what victorinox has done with their multitools?

I don't see that it should be a huge problem for SOG to make outside openers. The only (minor) issue for them would be their lock release levers...simply moving them to the inside of the handle would cause them to interfere with the pliers. SOG would have to change their blade locking system to a slider like Vic or Gerber uses, or a liner lock like Leatherman uses.
too long for OO.jpg
* too long for OO.jpg (Filesize: 86.94 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 05:56:15 AM

I don't see that it should be a huge problem for SOG to make outside openers. The only (minor) issue for them would be their lock release levers...simply moving them to the inside of the handle would cause them to interfere with the pliers. SOG would have to change their blade locking system to a slider like Vic or Gerber uses, or a liner lock like Leatherman uses.

J-sews,
I noticed that your Goldie-Locks says "Patent 5809599".  Mine says "Patent".   ???   It's missing "5809599" or "Pending"   ::)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 06:15:00 AM

The plier head is diffrent also I belive (more wire cutting area)

And I too with they would have left the gear teeth 'exposed'... It doesn't look like taking the covers off will be easy..>:(

I don't think I'll buy one straight away since they will be so damn expensive, but when the prices come down I'll get one (and promptly remove the C4 punch...no need in my line of work ;D)

The pliers on the PowerLock 2.0 look a lot like the pliers on the Paladin PT-525.  If they are the same, we're in for a treat.  The cutter on the PT-525 is by far the best cutter on any multi-tool that I have ever used.

The covers are quite nice in my opinion (based on my experience with Paladin Tools).  ...but I'll miss having impressions of the compound leverage gears in my hand.  :P 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 01:57:14 AM
J-sews,
I noticed that your Goldie-Locks says "Patent 5809599".  Mine says "Patent".   ???   It's missing "5809599" or "Pending"   ::)

I've got a Blackie-Locks like that. Must be that the patent had been applied for -but not yet issued- at the time of manufacture.
black SOG.jpg
* black SOG.jpg (Filesize: 66.31 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 04:04:18 AM
J-sews,

I've got a Blackie-Locks like that. Must be that the patent had been applied for -but not yet issued- at the time of manufacture.

Any idea when SOG started using TiNi?  I have a patent pending SOG PowerPlier (T52) that's in gold TiNi.  Was SOG really using TiNi way back then?  Or did SOG just coat some of the old stock?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:05:56 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 05:31:59 AM
I have no idea on the dates. SOG does have quite a number of their regular knives available in TiNi finish. It seems like they've been available for perhaps ten years?

Offline AJ

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 01:29:14 AM
SOG, Bring back GOLD TINI!

(Image removed from quote.)

...BLACK TINI would be even better!

Being new to sog I don't know what the small and middle tool you have in the photo are.
Could you please tell me there names.

I m really looking forward to giving the PowerAssist a try.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 01:39:19 AM
Being new to sog I don't know what the small and middle tool you have in the photo are.
Could you please tell me there names.

I m really looking forward to giving the PowerAssist a try.

From left to right there is a PowerLock T60, then an old needlenose PowerPlier T65, and last a Pocket PowerPlier T44. (Fyi: all three of these models were also produced with a plain stainless finish and a black oxide finish.)

I'm anxiously awaiting the PowerAssist myself. My hope is that the two assisted-opening knife blades in the one handle will be worth the trade-off of doing away with every other tool in that handle.

Won't know for sure until I get my hands on one though.  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%