Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Getting a multitool: Leatherman or Gerber?

Hobit · 130 · 11564

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Getting a multitool: Leatherman or Gerber?
Reply #120 on: November 22, 2010, 02:56:22 PM
How about a knife-less Wave  :P :D :D :D

Glade your Wave has worked out for you mate  8) 8)

Gerbers are probably easier to pull apart than Leatherman , just need a vise-grip tool & I reckon someone here could supply a Gerber saw or a file to replace the original blade :think:.

Now the slotted Gerber washers , they take a bit of fiddling to get in place  :ahhh :ahhh. I have been told with practice it gets easy  ::) :D :D :D 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #121 on: November 22, 2010, 03:06:45 PM
A good option might be something from SOG.  Easy to flip open and the blade can be swapped out for another tool.

+1 :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #122 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:14 PM

Regardless of the make of tool, the owner needs to take care of it.  Remember stainless steel means STAIN less!  Please think about ending this meaningless diatribe.

Thanks - Joe

Truer words were never spoken.  People need to take care of their tools.

As for the diatribe, well, I wish it would end too, but I doubt that will ever happen.   ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: November 23, 2010, 01:28:39 PM
I'll jump on the SOG bandwagon.  Pick the size you need and remove the blade/s.  Tool swapping is much easier than on other makes. 

Be careful with SOG flicking though, many here have bruised knuckles due to that sport :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #124 on: November 23, 2010, 01:55:24 PM
Ducktape never rusts. Just sayin.  :)
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Hobit

Reply #125 on: November 23, 2010, 02:24:25 PM
Juat to reiterate it again: is there a way of taking the knife off the Gerber Multi Plier Compact Sport 400? Or is there already a multitool similar that is knifeless?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #126 on: November 23, 2010, 02:44:42 PM
The Leatherman Fuse is available in a bladeless version, and SOG tools are the easiest to remove the blade, plus the blade can then be replaced with another tool. 

There are two ways to remove the blade from Gerber's MP400.  The easiest way is to snap it off.  I'd suggest locking the blade into a vise and with a quick jerk snap the blade off where the edge meets the tang.  The other, is to try and disassemble it, remove the blade and re-assemble it, but Gerber doesn't make them easy for tampering.  You will also need something else to fill in the slot where the blade was removed so that the leftover tools don't rattle around.  This may take some scrounging or fabrication work to get right, and probably a fair bit of trial and error.  Plus, unless you manage to find a donor Gerber tool, you are going to be one function short, which may or may not be of use to you.

You'd probably be better either with the bladeless Fuse, or to try and take the blade off something like the Octane if you like the sliding plier head.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #127 on: November 23, 2010, 03:00:33 PM
You'd probably be better either with the bladeless Fuse, or to try and take the blade off something like the Octane if you like the sliding plier head.

I would into that. Apparently, it takes just a torx driver, and makes the tool slimmer. The one thing is the Octane doesn't have scissors, which I believe are key to a knifeless multitool.

us Offline 1983 Leatherman Man

Reply #128 on: November 24, 2010, 12:10:23 AM
Whatever you get Hobit...get something awesome. You'll be an old man someday and look back .....and say to yourself..."I remember when...this one time I needed this tool for....I've had this since I was 18...my,my,my..." :tu:
"Good Vibes Only"

Offline joelan

Reply #129 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:58 PM
Leatherman rocks  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44