Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone use a metal detector / treasure hunter ?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Anyone use a metal detector / treasure hunter ?
on: September 24, 2006, 12:28:50 AM
I started using a White's CoinMaster metal detector on Cape Cod in 1967 and have not been with out a detector since then. I recently purchased a new White's M6 Metal detector and am looking forward to hitting the beaches ( Pensacola, FL ) and parks in the surrounding area. The first advice I offer to anyone that wants to get into THing is to buy a decent machine ( NOT a radio Shack, COSCO, Bounty Hunter, etc. - these are really "toys" )  for a couple reasons: 1. if you like the hobby you can always sell a decent MD on one of the THing forums, #2 if you dont like the hobby you can always sell a decent MD on one of the THing forums.  It's great exercise and a hobby that actually will pay for it's self many times over. When I was younger and able to fight the surf and waves ( wading chest high for 5 or 6 hours ) I found during an average summer 100 + wedding, gold, silver, diamond rings and probably 50+ wrist watches and unlimited necklaces and chains. Once you hands get wet the jewelry flys off a rocket. I never really found the " BIG " one however a friend I go THing at the beach with on a regular basis found a  US$ 52,000.00 DIAMOND RING. He placed ads in the paper and after 30 days no one claimed it, the jeweler that appraised it gave him $26,000 cash for it. It was found in the sand on Gulf Shores beach in Alabama - 30 miles west of Pensacola. I hope this gets someone interested in the hobby - any questions fire away. If you ever make it to P'cola let me know and we can hit the beach together.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Anyone use a metal detector / treasure hunter ?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:03:34 AM
I have always wanted to get a decent detector and head out in search of anything interesting, valuable or not.  I have a few things that keep me from doing it though- I have a thousand hobbies already, I don't have the money for a good machine, and I'm not physically capable of putting alot of time into it.  All of this unfortunately conspires to keeping me from enjoying what I always thought would be a fascinating pastime.
On of these days though...
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:36:23 AM
Metal detecting is a great hobby.  My wife and I started in the 1980s with a White's 6000 DI/Pro Plus powered by four C batteries and it was quite heavy.  We found enough goodies to pay for my equipment.  She still wears one of the gold rings we found.   Enjoyed finding historically interesting items, e.g., old chauffer's licenses, dog licenses, etc.

I now have a Fisher CZ-6, though haven't been metal detecting recently.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 02:47:30 AM
ALL of the machines I have purchased over the years have paid for them selves in 4 to 6 months hunting part time, a couple were paid for the first day out hunting.  The advancements in electronics make machines quite light and can be used on a set of batteries for up to 40 dours of hunting. I must restate Point #1 - buy a good detector at the beginning - my latest purchase the M6 with 2 different size coils I purchased used for $500. Do your research both on the detector and where you are going to hunt. It's a very rewarding past-time. You really can't go wrong with a WHITE'S METAL DETECTOR and do your self a favor and buy your first MD from a local dealer - you need the "touchy / feely experience and some " hand holding" that the local dealer can offer. Once you get established then there are other sources open, such as a used machine. A number of dealers will take trade ins on new MD's and offer the used machines at a good discount. White's has a two year warranty so if you want to upgrade the warranty is transferable to the new owner for the first two years.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:54:29 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 02:56:52 AM
... It's a very rewarding past-time.

Not only that, but a few years of metal detecting can give you new skills that are useful beyond the metal detector.  For example, during my walks or bike rides, I pay closer attention to the ground and my surroundings.  I've found many items by eye that others pass by, e.g., money, tools, wallets, jewelry, etc.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:40:40 PM
When I was a kid my stepfather used to metal detect.  We lived in upstate New York and him and my mom would detect around some of the old fair grounds and find tons of old coins. He always used a White detector I remember him saying they were the best.
"

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:53:55 AM
Just got a White's M6 ( used ) yesterday  with  a large and small search coil - it's a great machine.
Why do I carry a 45 ?

Offline Sharpdogs

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:13:46 PM
I have one.  I bought just before my wedding 4 years ago.  I needed something to distract me from cold feet  :D  I never used it, but this last summer I lent it  to my wife's, friend's 12 year old son.  He took it to the Jersey shore and found a couple of bucks worth of change in an hour.  One of these days I will have to trek down to the shore and try out the metal detector.  Too many hobbies and too little time.
w

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD