Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lee Valley Tools has a new multi

Sean · 24 · 4163

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Lee Valley Tools has a new multi
on: November 23, 2009, 05:21:10 PM
At least from them to us it's new.  I don't live all that far away (which is bad$$)  :-\

I like it ...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=64262&cat=1,51222

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Lee Valley Tools has a new multi
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:27:53 PM
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:28 PM
thanks Nuphoria.  Indeed it is.  Up North though I would have to look at exchange and shipping which would
pretty much even it out.  Thanks for the link though.  That Horn Ranger looks great!  :)

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:35 PM
"Still made by Victorinox, in Switzerland, of course." You know that almost didn't happen I remember reading somewhere that it almost got outsourced to China.
(

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:41:20 PM
"Still made by Victorinox, in Switzerland, of course." You know that almost didn't happen I remember reading somewhere that it almost got outsourced to China.

I remember something along those lines, too; IIRC, the original new Soldier sheaths were made in China, but the quality was below Swiss-standards, and I think the Swiss people were pissed about it going elsewhere, too.  Rather than face backlash, Victorinox made the right move in the end.  Still can't remember if the other sheaths are still made in Switzerland, though.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:43:32 PM
"Still made by Victorinox, in Switzerland, of course."  I remember reading somewhere that it almost got outsourced to China.

Yeah but then it would've been called Vicchinox solder  :P :D

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:45:46 PM
"Still made by Victorinox, in Switzerland, of course."  I remember reading somewhere that it almost got outsourced to China.

Hey, according to the Collector's Book it's called Vivtorinox, get your spelling correct!  :twak:

That book is really not that great for information, but at least it came with an 05 signed old Soldier that Chako will love.

... Yes, told you I'd flip through it.  :pok: XD

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:30 PM

I believe the story goes that when the contract was to be renewed it was open to all to put in a proposal/bid.  Of course this meant that at least some Chinese companies were trying to get the contract; it doesn't mean they were ever going to get it though. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:59:32 PM

Hey, according to the Collector's Book it's called Vivtorinox, get your spelling correct!  :twak:

Quite right Sir :salute:  :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:09:17 PM by John »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:04 AM
Thats a cool tool , at a good price ( by Canuck standards ) . I enjoy mine , and would highly reccomend one or two !

Chris

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 06:13:04 AM
They also have a Pioneer at a not bad price for a B&M.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=10037&cat=1,51222

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:43 PM
Over the years I've spent a lot at Lee Valley . They have some neat stuff . I do a lot of xmas shopping there .

Chris

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 05:56:42 PM
(

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 06:02:23 PM
That from the looks and sounds of it is of great quality?  Great for the hiker!

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:33 PM
Heres an item I want from there. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=58244&cat=2,40725,45454&ap=1
Trust me - you don't! I am lazy, so I usually buy Lee Valley stuff delivered to my home. When I got it, I jumepd into my car and personally took it back to the store (about 1/2 hour drive). The guy at the counter listened to what I had to say, nodded, pulled out a supertinker from his pocket and said, "yeah, it's not in the same league". This was the only time I returned something to them. I can't even find words to describe how terrible it is.
-------
Alexei

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:42:06 PM
Heres an item I want from there. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=58244&cat=2,40725,45454&ap=1
Trust me - you don't! I am lazy, so I usually buy Lee Valley stuff delivered to my home. When I got it, I jumepd into my car and personally took it back to the store (about 1/2 hour drive). The guy at the counter listened to what I had to say, nodded, pulled out a supertinker from his pocket and said, "yeah, it's not in the same league". This was the only time I returned something to them. I can't even find words to describe how terrible it is.

Thanks for the info, ufox.  I actually wanted to get one of these.  What exactly was wrong with it?  I was actually at Lee Valley this past weekend and was thinking about this item.  In the end, I just got a few items as Christmas presents for some people.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 08:57:34 PM
Are you sure its the french one or one of the many knockoffs?
(

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 11:22:03 PM
Well at least French tools have good surrender ergonomics !

Chris

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 01:20:54 AM
PyroJames: If you are at the store, ask them to bring it out for you, and check it out. I just would not know where to begin on the "what was wrong with it" subject. Let's try... blade-crap, body-palstic crap, can opener-crap, corkscrew-crap (take a look at how it is attached to the body).

lockpicker: I bought it from Lee Valley, I cannot either confirm or disprove their claim that this is a French Army Knife.

All that said, there are at least 2 good things about this knife: the fork and the spoon are OK!
-------
Alexei

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 02:32:45 AM
I'm surprised that a French tool would have a naff corkscrew , that at least would be expected to be over engineered .

Chris

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 02:53:38 AM
LOL
(

Offline shecky

Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

Yeah, but that always seemed pretty unlikely. I guess there had to be some kind of open bid if only for appearance sake. But the truth is that the spec was written with the Swiss product in mind, and Switzerland's home grown industry seems to be a significant source of pride. Even if it's only symbolic, they had to go with the Vic.

What gets me is how many knife nuts defend this nonsense with ridiculous rationales about self sufficiency. As if the Swiss Army doesn't depend on foreign contractors and sources to supply their military. Let's call it what it is, a government giveaway.

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 03:16:50 PM

Yeah, but that always seemed pretty unlikely. I guess there had to be some kind of open bid if only for appearance sake. But the truth is that the spec was written with the Swiss product in mind, and Switzerland's home grown industry seems to be a significant source of pride. Even if it's only symbolic, they had to go with the Vic.

What gets me is how many knife nuts defend this nonsense with ridiculous rationales about self sufficiency. As if the Swiss Army doesn't depend on foreign contractors and sources to supply their military. Let's call it what it is, a government giveaway.

Yes I remember back in early 2000 that they used American fighter jets and German pistols...
(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD