Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissGrip variations that never were

J-sews · 13 · 2660

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
SwissGrip variations that never were
on: May 28, 2007, 09:13:55 PM
There's been a bit of talk lately on the forums here about the Wenger SwissGrip. A bigger, more powerful multitool you will not find. I've been carrying mine around the past few days, evaluating the pros and cons. As Def describes in his review HERE, there's a lot to appreciate about a tool this size, and not much to find fault with.

One observation I have though is about the usefulness of the hex bit driver in the side. The hex receptacle passes through both sides of the frame, and is no doubt hellishly strong. However, being situated in the center of the tool as it is, the side hex driver requires a great deal of clearance in order to be used. ("Stand back folks, everyone move clear, we're about to engage the side hex driver!"  ;))

So anyhow, doesn't this seem like an ideal place to use a ratcheting hex driver? I thought so, and checked back through the archives to the original 1998 Wenger patent. Lo and behold, there it is, a ratcheting hex mechanism, right there in the patent drawings!

Wenger didn't opt to include this feature on the SwissGrip though, probably due to cost. Too bad, it would have made a great tool even better.  :(

But wait, that's not all! Whereas a ratchet mechanism still requires the body of the tool to be rotated back and forth a certain amount, the alternative method below would not:

Check that out! They've cut gear teeth into the plier pivot, then engaged those with teeth in the hex driver. Assuming the hex driver still ratchets, a person could drive screws simply by opening the plier handle, then squeezing it back closed. Loosening or removing screws would be a simple matter of flipping the SwissGrip over and inserting the bit into the opposite side.

Man-o-man, I wonder where a guy could get ahold of one of those prototypes?!  :grin:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Re: SwissGrip variations that never were
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:23:53 PM
Where'd the hell you find stuff like this Bob  :o ?!

And why on earth didn't they produce this?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:53:46 PM
I wonder if Felinevet Tim carries that model? ??? :multi:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 11:12:58 PM
I've just sent off this link to my contact at Wenger... I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:20:37 AM
Great post j-saws :)

it would be great to get a bit more info on this, maybe they can be pursuaded to put it into production?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:13:42 PM
it would be great to get a bit more info on this, maybe they can be pursuaded to put it into production?

Wouldn't that be awesome? I kinda doubt it will ever happen though.  :(  Not only would it make a pricey tool even pricier, but I suspect that the SwissGrip's days are numbered now that Wenger has introduced all those new Ranger variations with the foldable pliers and foldable scissors.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:20:17 PM

Wouldn't that be awesome? I kinda doubt it will ever happen though.  :(  Not only would it make a pricey tool even pricier, but I suspect that the SwissGrip's days are numbered now that Wenger has introduced all those new Ranger variations with the foldable pliers and foldable scissors.
sad but probably true :(

but hey wishing still free ;) :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:09:51 AM
Looking again at that sketch of the gear-drive mechanism, I see they incorporated a spring-loaded plier head. That make sense, otherwise a person would have to manually pull the plier handle open with each stroke of the bit driver.

(The regular SwissGrip does not have spring loaded jaws. However, the little PocketGrip does.)

SwissGrip spring jaws.JPG
* SwissGrip spring jaws.JPG (Filesize: 50.82 KB)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:11:24 AM by J-sews »

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:55:32 PM
That's really cool. I don't know that I'd carry around very much, but thats such an inovative tool I think I'd have to get one just for the tool box!  8)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 03:56:59 AM
Exactly what I was thinking!  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 01:02:27 PM
Bringing this one back for the Def's Dirty Dozen Thread Necro!

Some of the cool stuff that Bob found in the patent office was just mind blowing!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 02:51:55 PM
Bringing this one back for the Def's Dirty Dozen Thread Necro!

Some of the cool stuff that Bob found in the patent office was just mind blowing!

Def

Did Wenger ever get back to you?

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:11:34 PM
Just WOW!  :sa:

Funny thing is Victorinox should own the patents now; I wonder if one could convince them to build this awesome thing...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%