Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BBs and Pellets

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
BBs and Pellets
on: May 29, 2007, 01:19:47 AM
What's the diffrence between BBs and pellets?  If I remember correctly, BBs are round and pellets are shaped...I haven't shot a BB/pellet gun in years, but I'm thinking of getting one.  Dicks Sports has the Crosman 2100 with a scope for $80, I might get that.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: BBs and Pellets
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:39:39 AM
That's my understanding of them... bb's (ball bearings) also can be re-used whereas pellets usually flatten on impact.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:15:35 AM
What's the diffrence between BBs and pellets?  If I remember correctly, BBs are round and pellets are shaped....

That's right.  See the one BB and two different style pellets below.

* bb.jpg (Filesize: 13.26 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:18:27 AM
ahh I remember now...the BB would put a hole in a can, whereas the flathead pellet would create and exit would in the can ;D

I might stop by Wal Mart this week and pick up a BB/Pellet rifle...if Wal Mart hasn't been totally wussified into not carrying fake guns ::)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:24:06 AM
I have been thinking of getting another pellet gun myself.  I used to have one shaped like an m-16 which was really cool.  Good luck finding one like that in this post 9-11 world!

I think I may just appease myself with another passion of mine- slingshots!  Cheaper and just as much fun to shoot!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline tstetz

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:56:35 AM
I picked up a new one not long ago. a Benjamin .22 cal HB22 pistol. Multi pump single shot. Pretty nice little gun and with the pellet trap I got I can shoot in my garage. I picked it up through Cabelas.
HB22_1.jpg
* HB22_1.jpg (Filesize: 54.03 KB)
HB22_2.jpg
* HB22_2.jpg (Filesize: 57.18 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:00:39 AM
Very nice!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 05:14:42 AM
Cool pistol!

This is the one I've been eyeing...

Nice classic design.

on the Crosman website it says Wal Mart stocks them..but nothing is listed on the Wal Mart site.  I then typed in "Buck Knife" on the Wal-Site and noting came up, BUT the one near my work carries Buck knives (fixed blades! :o someone call Homeland Insecurity!).  I'm guessing they don't 'advertise' that they carry utility/hunting knives or air guns online, but they actually do in the store..  I guess I'll take a look in person sometime.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 05:20:37 AM
They probably have a policy against selling those kinds of things online, which is why they wouldn't be listed on the site.

Crossman has always been my favorite name in airguns- I know, I know, all the Daisy guys out there are probably aiming for my now and pumping enough to break the skin, but I grew up with Crossman guns and that's what I like.  I'm also looking into some Softair stuff someday when I have a little more space.  But the Yorkie across the street that never shuts up is tempting me... of course I'd prefer taking a shot at the inconsiderate owners....

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:34:45 AM
Do Softair guns shoot metal projectiles or the little yellow vinyl BBs?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 05:36:33 AM
I think they only shoot the soft yellow BB's but I'm not 100% on that.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 05:46:04 AM
I've got a Softair knockoff...it's pretty cool to handle, but not accurate at all.  I think I paid 20-25 bucks (shipped) for it on ebay.  It's apparently a copy of a Swiss rifle ;D 

[

Offline tstetz

Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:12:06 PM
My local Walmart's stopped carrying firearms recently but do still have airguns. I couldn't swear to it but I think I saw that model Crosman there just last week.

I've been eyeballing airguns for quite a while now. Mostly high powered break barrel spring guns like this Crosman Phantom 1000:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-phantom-1000.shtml

A great source for airguns, even just to browse, is Pyramid Air. Great selection and fun to window sjop at.

http://www.pyramydair.com/

Re: Soft Air

I have two cheap sift air pistols. A pretty cheezy Beretta 93R knockoff and a decently detailed SIG P226 with working slide, decocking lever etc. I use the SIG as a trainer for work pistol.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:24:50 PM
That's my understanding of them... bb's (ball bearings) also can be re-used whereas pellets usually flatten on impact.

Def

BB's may not appear to deform when shot, but they do.  DO NOT reuse BBs if you want to keep your barrel in good shape.  I've seen used BB's deform enough to get stuck in a barrel.

I have a Crossman 1377 rifled pump pistol, seen here:

http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1035
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 03:17:17 PM
I figured they did a little.  I have never had a problem with damaged barrels but then I don't often re-use them either.  I can't be bothered to dig the suckers out of whatever I shot them into.

FYI- old computer monitors will send BB's right back at you in most cases, so Windows users may want to use a heavier gauge when "fixing" problems.

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 08:22:52 PM
I can remember the hours of fun and destruction i had with the airguns i had when i was a kid ;D

happy days, i,ve been thinking of getting another one too.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 09:55:14 PM
FYI- old computer monitors will send BB's right back at you in most cases, so Windows users may want to use a heavier gauge when "fixing" problems.

Def

Thanks for the tip!  :grin:

I have to say though...  I've not much thought about using that repair method since Windows '98 or ME.

I would imagine that they'll work just fine with the new flat panels.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 09:59:57 PM
I take it you haven't "upgraded" to Vista then...

>:D

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 10:05:47 PM
Of course not.  I always wait at least 2-3 years into the lifetime of a operating system before I upgrade.  I just upgraded to XP (from Win2K) last year.  Windows 2K is a fine, very stable operating system, BTW.  However, new software development from Microsoft was slowing for it, which forced the upgrade.   Thankfully, the office I support is on about the same upgrade schedule I'm on.
- Terry

Offline tstetz

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 12:16:45 AM
I'm still using W2K. I just ordered a new PC and I'm finally going to XP on that one :p

I've found 12 gauge slugs work well for PC recalibration.  >:D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:35 AM
Aside from shooting bottles as a kid with my uncles airgun, I remember shooting a football with a flat headed slug...Actually I think the Crosman 2100 I posted earlier is the same gun he has..but his was black.
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 01:19:40 AM
Did the pellet penetrate the ball?
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 02:37:26 AM
Did the pellet penetrate the ball?

Yes, but the ball was deformed a bit from being in the freezing cold..it was splitting at the seams!...I shot it from about 60 feet away and it penetrated.  If I remember correctly the BBs bounced off it, but the slug got through. 

And a related question...what do people do with the birds/squirrels they hunt with pellet guns?  I read an article on pellet gun hunting last night, and the guy went out and killed three squirrels.  Do you just toss them back into the woods?  They weren't pests, like mice/birds in a garden..and I doubt he was going to eat them.. ???
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 05:23:31 AM
Other than garden pests, I feel pretty strongly about killing critters just for "sport."  If you're not planning to eat it, you probably shouldn't be shooting at it.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 05:41:06 AM
Other than garden pests, I feel pretty strongly about killing critters just for "sport."  If you're not planning to eat it, you probably shouldn't be shooting at it.

My thoughts exactly. 

I plan on using any airgun I buy for target practice out in the backyard, but since I'm going to drop some $$$ on one, I'd like to get a gun that can cover a wide spectrum of functions...target practice and pest control if I have to 'take out' a pest...which I haven't ever needed to yet.  But I'd hate to get an underpowered gun then find a bat flying around my house.
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 07:45:13 AM

Ugh... I better hide all the squirrel tails... Eating squirrel isn't one of my favorite things, but shooting the little terrorists is!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline damota

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 07:54:10 PM
We have 2 types of squirrel here in the UK. The native red and the Grey squirrel that is sharp becoming the only squirrel we have although it is an import. The grays have a virus that has just about wiped the red squirrels out, they are also a pest in forestry land because they do lots of damage to the young trees.
When I was a kid and if you shot a Grey squirrel you cut off the tail and took it to a police station and they would pay you for it. I guess they would lock you up now though.
Why kill bats though (excluding Vampire Bats that I do not think would fly into a house)?

Dave3

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 08:00:23 PM
vampire bats are tichy though, so I don't see any need to shoot them. Fruit bats on the other hand would just be damn scary if they flew into your house  :o

fruitbat1.JPG
* fruitbat1.JPG (Filesize: 131.37 KB)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21:35 PM
I'm a 4 year airsoft (not soft air, incorrect term) player...
It gets pretty expensive. I've spent almost 500 dollars on my primary weapon, and almost 200 on my sidearm. I've also spent roughly 100 dollars on my BDU (vest, boots, fatigues, etc.) I have also spent about 150-200 dollars on things like BBs and fuses.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 05:31:09 PM
I went to WalMart yesterday to get that Crosman...but the one I went to doesn't stock airguns at all ???

So the next plaza over had a Dicks Sporting Goods, and I got it there.  $70 for the Crosman 2100 with (cheap) scope, and another $10 for BBs and a tin of pellets. 

I looked it over, oiled the joints, and started shooting!  An old soda bottle full of water was my first target...one hit with a pellet sent it spinning while water sputed out of the side, then fell.  I guess I don't have to adjust the sights ;D

Really sturdy/heavy feeling airgun.  Made in the USA belive it or not..but the scope was made in china and feels like a toy. 

Any tips of sighting in the scope?  Or do I just adjust it so the crosshairs are sitting on top of the front sight? 

EDIT:
I'm a dummy; you can't see the front sight when the scope is attached :oops:

Another way I could do it is take it outside and secure the gun in something, shoot at a blank target, then adjust the scope so the crosshairs fall on the hole in the target.  The only variable would be distance I think.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 05:49:06 PM by Corrugated »
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24