Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Piranha

Nikos · 69 · 10229

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Piranha
Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:22 PM
Gentlemen, some of us have strong feelings on this matter, so let's try to keep it civil and not fly of the handle or get offensive.  The simple fact is that like anything else, love it or hate it, Atwood's designs are out of the box now, and free for interpretation from just about any source.  You can like it, you can hate it, but like the sun coming up tomorrow, it's a fact.

And, each of us has the right to make a choice to buy or not buy whatever we want, based on our own preferences.  To dictate what someone should or shouldn't buy is as welcome as someone dictating to you what you should and shouldn't buy.

Def

Did I tell someone they couldn't buy it?  Like you said, I have my opinion...  ::)
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 11:48:46 PM
I don't think they are "too expensive" guys, just too pricey for me at the moment.  :surrender:

I know that Peter sells them for less than the hyped up prices collectors will pay later and that's up to them of course. Things are worth whatever folks are prepared to pay I guess, that's how a consumer driven market works.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 03:04:43 AM
I would like to calmly say one last thing. I'm not against new ideas and new tool designs. I know Peter Atwood didn't invent the pocket tool and I know they've been around for 100 years. I know there are some other makers who make fantastic and original pocket tools, but where I draw the line is when somebody goes over to Peter's (or any other makers) site and says "Hey, let's make that". I know I'm in the minority here, but let me give you guys an example that might make some sense. Raker Tools are a supporter of this forum and Ray has to pay for that right. Do you guys think it would be fair if someone took Ray's ideas and changed them a little and said here go buy me? If you do, then that's your right to do so but at some point we should take a stand for the people who support this forum.    :salute:

I'm done ranting now.  :D  I hope I gave you guys something to think about.  ;)   :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 03:21:53 AM
I don't feel like getting into a debate cause I am tired, all I wanna say is....

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :gimme:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 03:24:31 AM
I don't feel like getting into a debate cause I am tired, all I wanna say is....

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :gimme:

It figures!  ::)  :pok:  :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 03:27:36 AM
I do like their nail puller slot....

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 03:45:16 AM
I do like their nail puller slot....

That is a nice touch.   :tu:

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:08 AM
So if they were a member on here and a board supporter it would be Ok for them to make it? I am still confused on your logic of this but as I said before everyone has their opinion and can choose to buy or sell whatever they like.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 04:29:12 AM
So if they were a member on here and a board supporter it would be Ok for them to make it? I am still confused on your logic of this but as I said before everyone has their opinion and can choose to buy or sell whatever they like.

No, actually what I meant was would you like a design "borrowed" from a person who supports this forum? I was trying to give a different angle that's all...  ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 02:15:38 AM
Whether they support this board or not is immaterial.  This board discusses tools- we review, we report and we offer opinions.  We don't control the multitool industry, and we don't dictate what people can and can't buy.  We simply inform people on what is out there.  Blaming this board for promoting that is like blaming CNN for an earthquake.

One piece keychain tools are a good idea, and that's why lots of people are doing them.  Yes, Peter Atwood popularized them in the modern age, and deserves credit for that.  I have never tried to hide that, however this situation is akin to Tim Leatherman's great new product circa 1983.  Since this site is Multitool.org, we report on multitools- if only the original was important and the rest were to be dismissed as copies that steal the food from children's mouths, then I would have started everythingbutthePSTiscrap.org.

And, I would also like to point out that I am well versed in the frustration revolving around copycats out there.  Ask me over a beer some night about how I feel I about multi-tool.org, especially when you consider that most of the original info there came from this site and this community.  Of course the owner of that site insisted he wasn't stealing our name.  And, that's not the only one out there- I have a list of Swiss Army Knife and multitool sites that have copied what I've done, or the communities I've built.  However, like any other copycat, they will live or die by what they produce, just like PocketToolx.

The banner is a way to promote tool manufacturers- I don't put their names up here to advertise this site, and I have turned down banners for retailers that I felt weren't up to par.  This community deserves to have all the information so they can make an informed decision.  And, when they make that decision, it's important that there are responsible dealers willing to help them properly and look after their needs.  Off the top of my head I can offer several dealers or retailers that you don't see promoted here because they weren't up to snuff. 

And, if this tool is a hunk of crap, we'll report it as such.  If it's useful, then we'll say that too.  They will live or die by their own tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
Are Atwoods patented?
(

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 03:03:45 AM
No, patent takes a lot of money and time, and  while you can patent a specific tool you can't patent a concept.

I just finished reading the similar thread on EDCF, some atwood fans are taking it way to far and started name calling. While Peter popularized the concept it does not give him the exclusive rights to make them, otherwise nobody but leatherman should make folding plier MT and every major knife manufacturer should shut down. Even Peter openly admits he use elements from older tools to incorporate into his own.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 07:58:16 AM
If its not patented or if it is and its produced under license then theres nothing wrong with it.
(

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 08:22:58 AM
If its not patented or if it is and its produced under license then theres nothing wrong with it.
People are of course allowed to buy anything they want, but from my point of view there nothing new or innovative about the Piranha..
It looks like someone have been looking way too much over the shoulder and made a blend of the Crawdaddy and the Atwrench..
If I was needing something jawlike atm, I'll rather take a look at our own DoughDTD's Cronies, Link.. Just my 2 cents..  ;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:08:14 AM by AHB »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:37 AM

I think the issue people have is the moral side of things, not the legality.
I'm back!!

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 04:19:24 PM
So, moving away from the debate side of things...

Anyone actually put in a pre-order for one? They say ship mid December and I wanna hear a review!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 07:26:41 PM
Are Atwoods patented?

Yes, the original Prybaby does indeed have a patent.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 10:01:26 PM

Anyone actually put in a pre-order for one? They say ship mid December and I wanna hear a review!

I believe Dave Bowen has one on the way- or is trying to get one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 03:32:26 AM
And I'm worried about pocket tools getting ripped off!  ::)    :D

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjqrnUBdLqY&feature=related [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:25 PM

I believe Dave Bowen has one on the way- or is trying to get one.

Def

I got this in the mail today! So far, impressions are good. I really like the size of it, it feels a lot bigger than most other pocket tools. To me a lot of what is already out there is more "key chain" size and not so big that you need a pocket to carry them in. This thing is almost 4 inches long and fits your pocket quite nicely. My favorite thing so far is the super wide pry surface/scraper, I can see this being used a lot. The two gripes I have so far: The driver bit can be a PITA to remove/replace but I might get used to it and the wrenches are the same size on both ends (one open and one boxed).

Any questions?  :D

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:12 PM
No questions just  :drool: it's a nice tool lets be honest  :salute:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 01:12:03 AM
[youtube]   [/youtube]

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 09, 2010, 03:05:04 AM
I have one of the first-run S30V SAE versions on it's way to my house, just to see what it's like.  If I don't like it, well, someone else can give it a good home. :)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #53 on: February 09, 2010, 03:10:45 AM
Same......but different.

Seriously though, you can tell there is Atwood inspiration in this tool but there is enough difference to tell it's from someone other than Peter. MK7 admits that they have inspiration from tool makers such as Peter and they don't deny it, I think it's great that someone has taken the next step above Gerber and have made a high quality production pocket tool that anyone could buy without fear of them being out of production, selling out too quickly or having them jacked up in price by folks on EBay.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:14:07 AM by David Bowen »

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:27 AM
Same......but different.

(Image removed from quote.)

Seriously though, you can tell there is Atwood inspiration in this tool but there is enough difference to tell it's from someone other than Peter. MK7 admits that they have inspiration from tool makers such as Peter and they don't deny it, I think it's great that someone has taken the next step above Gerber and have made a high quality production pocket tool that anyone could buy without fear of them being out of production, selling out too quickly or having them jacked up in price by folks on EBay.

Offline ratslash7

Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 02:09:16 PM
I like that it's a nice big tool. Big enough to really do some work.

I wonder how it would fit in the back (or front if nylon) pocket of a Surge or Charge sheath? It seems like it would make a good partner to a pliers base multi.
A

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 02:52:37 PM
I like that it's a nice big tool. Big enough to really do some work.

I wonder how it would fit in the back (or front if nylon) pocket of a Surge or Charge sheath? It seems like it would make a good partner to a pliers base multi.

Condisering that would mean a duplication of drivers, an Atwood FunnyBone may be a better option.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 05:53:14 PM
Looks like they have a four week backorder. So much for being easy to get.  ::)

Offline Magnus

Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 05:58:16 PM
at least you can backorder them!
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 06:06:08 PM
Originally I had little to no interest about this tool, but with everyone going back and forth on them they are starting to pique my curiosity.  Of course I'm not going to wait in line for one.  If/when they become readily available I'll consider getting one, or if anyone here wants rid of theirs I'll look at it.  I don't like paying for something I may see in 4-6 weeks.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%