Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer Plus...and then some!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Explorer Plus...and then some!
on: December 05, 2009, 08:07:03 AM
Hi all,
Well thanks to Saz and his really really bad influence :D I have been EDC'ing a hunter green Explorer Plus for a while now.  I wanted to share some thoughts, experiences, and just a couple of tiny criticisms. 
First of all, I don't know why I ever thought that I wouldn't get along with this little tool.  It is just about the perfect SAK and MT IMO.  The width is slightly more than the Moutanineer, but not much.  And in-line phillips driver is awesome!!!!!  It doesn't weigh down my pocket like I thought it would and it is a darn handy little tool.  I love the green scales.  So awesome!   :tu:
Some of the things it's done so far:
-Everyday cutting tasks (packages, envelopes, the odd string/paracord)
-Cleaning fingernails (yes I still have them)
-Opening bottles
-Cut a couple of pills in half when we couldn't find a pill cutter at work (I cleaned the small blade really, really well before doing that so don't worry)
-Used the magnifying glass to locate a glass splinter on my foot (that hurt by the way)
-Phillips mounted key hooks to a board for a key rack (or whatever you call that)
-Used the small eyeglass screwdriver in the corkscrew to tighten up the glasses
-Oh the scissors get used for all kinds of things.
There's probably more that I can't think of right now.
So the pros of this tools are:
+Compact, not too heavy, feels great in the hand
+Excellent, well rounded selection of tools
+A 10 on the fiddle factor scale
+Looks awesome with the green scales
+Love the pen (with blue ink)
I do have a few cons:
-The mini driver is really really loose in the corkscrew.  I've never had one of these before so I don't if that's normal but it wiggles a lot when I use it
-The scissors are sticky...I'm sure this will correct itself with time for now it's a bit annoying but not really inconvenient 'cuz they still work great

That's really all I have to say.  Not the best as far as reviews go, but I highly recommend one of these.  When combined with my KF4 it is a really really excellent light to medium duty EDC.  I've carried it with the Pulse and the Wave and really I use the explorer much more than either of them. 
I love this tool and thank Sazabi for talking me into it.  I'm gonna see if Mom likes it and then probably get one for her for her birthday in Feb if she likes it.  She decided she didn't want a new MT or SAK for Christmas and if I try to give her one anyway she'll be too mad at me to appreciate the tool and won't use it just because she's stubborn like that.  LOL 
So, that's it.  I hope it was a little bit informative.  Of course most of you probably already knew how cool this thing was.  i really have to start listening better when you all tell me to get something....Wait, what am I saying!   :ahhh :ahhh You all already enable me way too much!!! :D
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Explorer Plus...and then some!
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:50:33 AM
For some reason I've never quite got on with the Explorer and I don't know why. ???  It's a good line up of tools made even better if you have a set of Plus scales.  Anyway I'm glad you like it Kelly and I've got to agree with you on the scale colour, the dark green has to be the nicest they ever did. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:21:21 PM
Nice write up :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 04:28:06 PM
I'm glad you love the Explorer, Kelly.  In regards to the corkscrew, yeah, it's always hit or miss for me, too.  My Forester's corkscrew is /almost/ too tight to get the minidriver into it, but is capable, the Ranger, however, hah.  Good luck. ._.  With that said though, the Minidriver wiggles when you use it?  That shouldn't be happening. o.O  Is the plastic defective or something on yours?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:28:46 PM
I'm glad you love the Explorer, Kelly.  In regards to the corkscrew, yeah, it's always hit or miss for me, too.  My Forester's corkscrew is /almost/ too tight to get the minidriver into it, but is capable, the Ranger, however, hah.  Good luck. ._.  With that said though, the Minidriver wiggles when you use it?  That shouldn't be happening. o.O  Is the plastic defective or something on yours?
Saz, I have no idea....I've never had one of these before.  I have to twist almost all the way down the length of the corkscrew to get it to stop wiggling and then be really careful when I use it because it kind of winds it's way back out.  In the storing positiong (tip into the corkscrew) it's a little loose but not as bad as the other way.  I haven't tried it on anything other than the explorer though.  It's not a "problem" just takes a bit of fiddling to get it better.  It's an awesome EDC!   :tu:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:40:06 PM
Hey kelly don't listen to them  :pok: I've just got a woody/ex thanks to Gareth  :tu: what can I say pair with a rally and well! contrary to popular belief it's perfect  :D check out my explorer piranha saw post  ;)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 09:43:31 PM
Hey kelly don't listen to them  :pok: I've just got a woody/ex thanks to Gareth  :tu: what can I say pair with a rally and well! contrary to popular belief it's perfect  :D check out my explorer piranha saw post  ;)

I just saw that!  Wow, that is very nice.  Currently my Explorer is paired with my KF4 but my rally is always on my keyring.  So I get that.  But wow, that's really really nice.  :D

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 09:56:54 PM

I just saw that!  Wow, that is very nice.  Currently my Explorer is paired with my KF4 but my rally is always on my keyring.  So I get that.  But wow, that's really really nice.  :D
I :salute: ya'll  I love America  :tu: :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:02:39 PM
Saz, I have no idea....I've never had one of these before.  I have to twist almost all the way down the length of the corkscrew to get it to stop wiggling and then be really careful when I use it because it kind of winds it's way back out.  In the storing positiong (tip into the corkscrew) it's a little loose but not as bad as the other way.  I haven't tried it on anything other than the explorer though.  It's not a "problem" just takes a bit of fiddling to get it better.  It's an awesome EDC!   :tu:

That may be why?  :think:  The screwdriver end goes into the corkscrew first, not the other way around. :)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:12:17 PM

That may be why?  :think:  The screwdriver end goes into the corkscrew first, not the other way around. :)

I'm confused...not hard I know.  I thought that when you used the screwdriver you could twist it out of storage position, flip it around, twist it back in screwdriver side out and use it instead of trying to get your fingers to hold that little bitty bit.  It's loose when in the "use" position.  But like I said, I fiddle a bit and it works just fine.  I'm confused.  I think.  I don't  know. 

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:14:45 PM
You could... I guess?  Most just hold it in their hands when in use, though. :)  That's what I do, at least. ^^;

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:15:14 PM
You could... I guess?  Most just hold it in their hands when in use, though. :)  That's what I do, at least. ^^;
Saz, let's go chat.  :)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:18 PM
Well don't I feel sheepish.  I've just been informed that most of the time people don't twist the mini driver back into the corkscrew to use it.  I do it that way because I guarantee I will lose it if I don't.  Whoops.   :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%