Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend an EDC

Offline RedRamage

Recommend an EDC
on: May 31, 2007, 08:16:18 PM
Okay, so I'm about to give up on my Cybertool lite.  I'm just not happy with the light the thing throws out.  It's not terribly often that I need a light, but I do on occasion, and it'd be nice to have a good light for those times I do need it.  What does the general population here recommend in terms of a SMALL EDC light?

These are my needs, in order of importance:
1. Size (Small enough to easily pocket)
2. Battery Life (I'd like it to be able to last a while)
3. Brightness (it doesn't have to be flood light bright, but bright enough to be able to see under desk or walking around in the dark)
4. Price (perferably under $50)
5. Focus (not really important as most work will be up close stuff)

Any suggestions?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Recommend an EDC
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:37:13 PM
I'm probably going to recommend something from www.fenix-store.com.  However, one thing that is important to me that you have not mentioned is what battery type you'd like to use.  Many people like the performance and size of the CR123 3V batteries and use them in their EDC.  Others, like myself, prefer to carry a AA light and use NiMH rechargable batteries.  The benefit there is that you're more prepared for emergencies and can use any AA battery you can find if it comes to that.  There are also others that like to carry very small lights, and prefer the AAA form factor.  CR123 batteries are the performance leader (in brightness and runtime), but would be much more difficult to find than AAA, or especially AA, in an emergency.  CR123 batteries will cost you about $5 each in stores, but you can find them for $1 - $1.50 online.

Here's what I would recommend for EDC:

AAA:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=191

AA:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=70

CR123:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=249

These are a bit over your price limit but, IMO, they're worth the price for the performance they give.  Keep in mind that these prices include shipping.  I can find MANY other options for you if you let me know what battery type you prefer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:44:15 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:45:14 PM
I carry the Photon Freedom and love it. It won't put out the brightness of a Fenix, etc. but it sound like it might fit your needs. They're tiny and fit great on a keychain. The only thing I'd worry about is the batteries- but they last for a good while considering they are coin-cells, and will last for a long time if you use it on dimmer settings, which usually would be plenty for the things you're describing. I posted some info about them in another thread if your interested...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1471.0.html
You can get them here for $10 + S&H...
http://www.batteryjunction.com/phledfl.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 01:42:35 PM
I like both the Photons and the Fenix, but if you order the Fenix from certain places they will include a Photon copy (Fauxton) with your order!  The best of both worlds...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:26:19 AM
I like both the Photons and the Fenix, but if you order the Fenix from certain places they will include a Photon copy (Fauxton) with your order! 

Def

Fauxton?  :D  Haven't heard that one before.  Reminds me of an episode from The Simpsons where the yuppie ends up in Moe's and says "Hey, this isn't faux dive.  This is a dive!"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 02:00:15 AM
I carry every day the Gerber Recon. It isnt as bright as the others, but I just love having the option of other light colors.http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=696
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:22:21 AM
I like some of the Gerber lights.  The Infinity has been on my wish list for a while, and I really like the Hornet.  Mind you the Hornet isn't an EDC light though, but it's a pretty neat concept.  I'd like to keep three or four of them in the trunk of my car for emergencies.

That Recon looks pretty cool too though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:29:25 AM
I absolutely love it. When teaching map and compass the ability to change color at night is great to keep night vison. Not to mention the battery life on this bugger is fantastic. Coupled with my G2 I never feel out gunned for light.
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 02:41:29 AM
That reminds me of a big Playskool flashlight I had as a kid...it took something like 3 D batteries and it had a dial to change colors...off to ebay to remind me what it looked like ;D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 02:42:18 AM
For $20 I think I might have to look at one of those a little more closely...

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 03:22:42 AM
Def. I think that you would really like the Recon. It really is a great light, and it is hardly noticable in the pocket.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 03:31:47 AM
You aren't helping... :P

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 06:41:29 AM
Target has a new River Rock 2AA 1 Watt LED that's really nice.  I just picked one up today.   I'll try to remember to snap some pics tomorrow.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:29:06 PM
  ONE of  my EDC  is :

GATHLIGHT V2  and waiting my V3 soon....

Made by another Swiss man ....Thats why looks so nice and Solid !

I will try to post a picture later.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:36:21 PM by M.TEX »
M.TEX

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 11:30:19 PM
DOH!  I wish I could justify the price of a Gatlight.  They are sweet, no doubt.
- Terry

Offline AJ

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 06:18:48 PM
Photon Freedom is awesome. I have used it a number of times on the very low setting as a night light when out of town. It runs for ever on low.

It's always on my edc key's in my jean coin pocket. Can be set to flash S.O.S. great for them man vs wild/survivor type weekends.

I have had mine for about three years and replace the batteries once or twice a year. Just replaced them last week at 2.99 each, takes two of them.

Most of the time I also have a black Surefire KL1 1xcr123 body with clickie tail cap in my left front pocket.
I use it for work a lot.

The one and only true EDC is my photon freedom.
I have been meaning to pick up a extra one, but have not got around to doing that yet.

The free knock off ones I have got from some online sellers when ordering stuff never last very long.
Think someone by the name of lighthound on ebay has given me some for free. I give them away and often hear back from the people that they have quit working.

The freedom just keeps going and going....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:20:32 PM by dakota »
[

Offline Sharpdogs

Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 10:59:05 PM
If you want a cheap keychain light but not one of the fauxtons, check out the Photon X-Light.  It's what I carry on my keychain.  Very bright and the on/off button glow making it easy to find.  Plus they are less then $9.

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=163
w

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 02:49:48 AM
looks ike some good deals there sharpdogs I may have to place an order very soon
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline MacTech

Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 08:25:14 PM
The Fauxtons that Lighthound ships out for free (I think it's on orders over $30) are decent enough, but the poor 5mm LED is *horribly* overdriven, it's a Nichia CS clone, and not as durable as the CS, it's decent enough, but the Fauxton won't keep that great brightness for long, as it's burning itself up

for daily EDC it basically comes down to what batteries you want to use, in the past, if you wanted a high performance pocket light, you *HAD* to use something that used 3V CR123a Lithium cells, while those lights are still available and *GREAT* performers, you can get very similar performance off AA (and to a lesser extent AAA) cells

here's what I'd reccomend for a reasonably priced EDC grouping;

Keyring light; Arc AAA-P, this uses a slightly overdriven Nichia CS 5mm LED, but the fit-and-finish on it is incredibly good, it's a "Baby SureFire", it's the SwissTool Spirit of flashlights, excellent fit-and-finish, decent runtime (5 hours or so to 50%) and puts out a decent amount of light for dark-adapted use (5-7 lumens, a little bluish tinted but not bad), the Arc is utterly reliable and is small enough to live on your keyring and be forgotten until you need it, the perfect emergency light
Alternative; the Fenix E0, less expensive, slightly dimmer, longer runtime, but lower fit-and-finish

pocket light; Fenix Lxx series AA powered lights, you have a choice of emitters, Cree or Luxeon Rebel, a simple two-level head and forward-clicky "tactical" tailcap, or an advanced multimode head, and the basic "reverse clicky" tailcap that also allows tailstanding for ceiling bounce
L1D-Multimode Luxeon3 single cell
L1D-CE; Cree version (brighter)
L1T-2.0; Luxeon Rebel 2-level light with "tactical" tailcap

you can then buy a spare L2D body tube and be able to run the light on two AA cells for longer runtime and more light

for a lightweight EDC combo, stick with a AAA keychain light and a 1AA pocket light to start

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 09:34:34 PM
The Fauxtons that Lighthound ships out for free (I think it's on orders over $30) are decent enough, but the poor 5mm LED is *horribly* overdriven, it's a Nichia CS clone, and not as durable as the CS, it's decent enough, but the Fauxton won't keep that great brightness for long, as it's burning itself up

Those are the same lights dealextreme sells for 0.47$ or so. I have found that they generally last about 7-8 months of intermittent use before the battery dies out. The oldest one I have is from last year so I can't comment on long-term durability but economically I can afford to spend 0.47$ on a keychain light every 8 months or so. Generally I prefer to pay for quality but I give away so many of these lights to friends and family it is not feasible for me to spend 5-9$ per light.

I may be tempted to drop a bundle on the new 4-LED Photon light coming out soon, it will add some serious brightness to my keychain.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 01:52:33 AM
I may be tempted to drop a bundle on the new 4-LED Photon light coming out soon, it will add some serious brightness to my keychain.
Yeah, those look great! :o I love the idea of charging off of any 1.5v battery out there. The new LEDs are suposed to be 2x brighter, again... (Great, now my current photons aren't good enough any more :D )

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%