Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GPS systems..any reccomendations?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
GPS systems..any reccomendations?
on: November 28, 2009, 12:51:28 AM
I'm going to get someone a GPS system for Christmas and wanted some opinions on the different brands that are out there.  Are there any to avoid?

EDIT: It's going to be used in a car BTW.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:53:40 AM by Anthony »
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: GPS systems..any reccomendations?
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:53:33 AM
What will you mostly be using it for Anthony?

They all work pretty well, but some are better suited for walking, geocaching, the car etc....
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:54:53 AM
What will you mostly be using it for Anthony?

They all work pretty well, but some are better suited for walking, geocaching, the car etc....

I just edited my first post :D

Car use primarily.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:01:35 AM
Well, I got a Navman S100 for Christmas last year, and so far it's guided me through about 20,000 business miles and several thousand personal miles and I still love it.

I'd definitely consider it! Big screen, easy to use, speaks the street names, does 3D buildings in cities etc, but I've not tried the MP3 player!

http://www.navman.com/in-car/europe/uk/Products/Sat-Nav-Devices/S100/

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:03:11 AM
im partial to TomTom only cause they are easy to "find" stuff for online. Yoda's voice, map updates, hacks and live traffic codes galore.

I'd mosey around Magellan as it seems they are lagging far behind TomTom and Garmin in terms of quality.

Look into the TomTom 730 or 740.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:05:07 AM by Pacu »
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:09:33 AM
We had a Tom Tom before the Navman - and find the new one to be way better.

It could be that the newer Tom Toms are better, but ours (now in the missus' car) takes forever to find a satellite and has a less intuitive interface, it's "fiddly". That may well be different with the newer models, but I'd put some thought into how easy it is to do things like key a destination in whilst you're going along.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:26:29 AM
I love Garmin.

Whichever you do plan on getting, be sure it can speak the street name. Much better than a voice telling you to turn left.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 02:38:43 AM
Nothing beats a Garmin! I've got a Nuvi650 in my Jeep with cracked topographic & road maps. I was one of those people who didn't believe in gps' because well, I've got a good sense of direction & can read a map. However, sometimes I have to deliver mental patients to areas I've never been to before with only an address & hopefully a google map. I got lost with bad directions 1 time too many & broke down & bought a Garmin. The wife questioned the purchase at the time, but since she has also seen the light. In a nutshell, AWESOME! :tu:
N

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 04:50:38 AM
We had a Tom Tom before the Navman - and find the new one to be way better.

It could be that the newer Tom Toms are better, but ours (now in the missus' car) takes forever to find a satellite and has a less intuitive interface, it's "fiddly". That may well be different with the newer models, but I'd put some thought into how easy it is to do things like key a destination in whilst you're going along.

yea  mine does take a minute or two to find a gps signal. :rant: Might have to look into Navman
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 10:38:51 AM
I like the Garmin stuff, and have a Garmin hand-held for geocaching and walking and it's great.

For the car though, they seem to be lagging way behind in the "ease of use" stakes IMO. Great accuracy for outdoorsy stuff though. I an eTtrex Vista HCx, which is semi-permanently attached to my walking pack (now the one that GG sent me).

Offline cryptrick

Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 04:55:51 PM
For car stuff I'd go TomTom. I do find the TomTom's easiest to use, but have been impressed with a Navman I briefly tried (can't remember the model of it though)
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 11:17:19 PM
I'm obviously in the minority here, but my preference is for Magellan.  I have two now, but I've used Garmin, Tom Tom and others. 

I think most of it really depends on what you are used to- like multitools, they all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses, and differences in usability.  However, as with multitools, I think as long as you set out a few certain requirements (like a large screen- always get the largest screen you can, and one that reads out the street names, if for no other reason to get a good laugh at how the computer tries to pronounce them!  :D) and buy a good brand name from a reputable retailer, you really can't go wrong.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 03:34:39 AM
I, too, must second Garmin.  I had the choice between a Garmin c330 with four-year-old maps or a brand new TomTom One, and I went with the Garmin.  I can't think in yards, it never recalculates if you miss a turn, and dislike the interface completely.  Since getting 2010 maps for the c330, I love it even more. :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:40:17 AM
I could easily research GPS systems for months...but I read reviews, looked at prices and features, and went with my gut and ordered a Garmin Nuvi 255W.

I may get one for myself after reading so much about them.
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:23 AM
I hope they like there present. This is the GPS I want.

Awesome!!
"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 05:20:27 PM
I love my Garmin Nuvi 650.

I've seen the Garmin Nuvi 755t (an upgrade from mine) as low as $149-199 during the Christmas sales.  That's a helluva deal.

Nevermind!  I see you already bought yourself a Garmin.  :tu:
- Terry

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 03:42:15 AM
For what its worth...  the nav app on my droid is sweet!!!!  Oh and never needs updated maps like those car units..  you can do a voice search for a place.  Like I was at work and needed to run to costco and it pulled it up and a few clicks I was mapped and being directed... hell I'm posting this comment from my dorid.  Hands down the best nav device I've used and best damn phone too!!!  Ok I'm done with my shameless plug.  Happy hunting  :sak:
'

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD