Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone grind the keyring nub off of their SAKs?

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Anyone grind the keyring nub off of their SAKs?
on: December 08, 2009, 07:56:01 PM
Having had a Victorinox Soldier now for a while, I kind of like not having that nub for the keyring so with a dremel I ground off the nub from my red alox Pioneer. It was pretty easy and I like how it feels in the hand. I can't force myself to do it with my farmer as I do attach it to lanyards. Anyone else do this to their SAKs and if so why?

p.s. I would much prefer a hollow rivet for lanyard use. I find the bails such as found on the Wenger SI sometime fold and get in the way.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Anyone grind the keyring nub off of their SAKs?
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:46:16 PM
Not me mate, not having a keyring/lanyard hole is a deal breaker for me :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:50 AM
I have done it.  I just cut the ring off with some side cutters and then filed it down.  Took about 15 mins.  I took it off as I don't use lanyards.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:01 AM
While I have some SAKs that I've done up without the splitring I normally prefer to have it in place for adding a lanyard etc.  Occasionally I'll remove the splitring itself but leave the mount in place, but most of the time I just don't notice them.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:14:32 AM
I like the key ring hole, I can see it would be easy to remove but don't find it offensive enough to do so.

In fact I think my Alox solider would get more cary time if it had one, perhaps I'll get a farmer next  :think:
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:46:19 AM
Did that to a climber and a evo 63. Both are backspring mounted ring nub so that took some work. But since I never use the ring on large SAK, and it looks/feels better without it.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:44:02 AM
I don't ever carry SAKs without a keyring, so no.
--
'Buzz

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:16:10 AM
I took a file and grinded it off my Hiker. It was uncomfortable for whittling.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:37:19 AM
I took a file and grinded it off my Hiker. It was uncomfortable for whittling.

That's the only reason I would do it - the whittling SAK I made could do with it removing.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:25 AM
I hate the key ring nub on 93mm alox knives. I ground it off my EDC Farmer because I hated it so much. I don't mind them much on 91mm knives, but when I built a custom for EDC, I usually leave it off (as most customs are combo-tool knives so it's easy to not put in the spacer with the ring).

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 05:50:27 AM
I have not done it, but I was contemplating it a while back. Just like to clip the Camper into my backpack for backup/emergency usage. If I used it more as an EDC I doubt I would keep it.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 06:40:51 AM
I took mine off of a Tinker.  It was hell!  There was no way other than grinding it away to remove it.
I tried sidecutters and have a good grip but no go.  I use my Tinker for whittling so it had to go for
hand comfort.  :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 07:12:40 PM
Ive got a wenger esquire on its way and it is a version without a key ring, must admit i prefere them with,so might see if i can fit one on,not sure how hard it would be, ive a SAK fake with a key ring hole so poss it might fit ?

paul

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 10:55:00 PM
I did it to one of my Farmers. But kept the other stock.
"

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 07:17:44 PM
a few of the skeletons I have for rescaling don't have the nub, and it looks like that's how they left the factory... that or a really fine job of cleaning it up...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 07:23:35 PM
a few of the skeletons I have for rescaling don't have the nub, and it looks like that's how they left the factory... that or a really fine job of cleaning it up...

i got this wenger esquire today and it doesnt have a key ring nub,it siad that this edition didnt have them ?

paul

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 01:08:33 AM
Yup I've been carry a Cadet and custom 93mm with scissors for quite a while now and the first thing I did before the 93mm went in the pocket was grid off the keyring attachment.  I've been threating to do it do the Cadet but so far it lives as it can actually be used to apply fucused pressure which can be useful sometimes.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 04:03:46 PM
I'm thinking of grinding the keyring nub off my CT34 today, but a thought occurred to me: The spot where it gets ground down at won't be polished, has anyone had any issues/concerns with it rusting there?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 05:04:52 PM
Nope , I like lanyards . I dont find them uncomfortable . Basically , if the eye offends thee , pluck it out .

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 05:19:52 PM
My thing is I pocket carry it and the keyring loop sticking out tends to be uncomfortable if I'm pressing down on the driver and it digs into my hand. Since I have no use for it, I'd rather get rid of it. Honestly I'd like to lose the entire opener layer, but the lack of a functioning drill thwarted that plan half way through lol.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 05:26:53 PM
I've removed the remains of the keyring attachment from a beat up farmer as part of its restoration..

Whilst I've specifically built SAKs without them I've never removed a healthy one :)

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 05:31:53 PM
I don't care if it looks a bit sloppy, seeing as the tool is def. a user and getting fairly beat up as it is. Not to mention the way the rivets look like under the sapphire scale where I already center punched and started drilling 'em out before the drill died lol. My only concern is if down the road the are where it was ground off starts to rust. Though I suppose by then I should be able to finish ripping out the opener layer so it won't matter much. I guess I'll just give it a try and let you guys know how it turns out.

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 05:37:32 PM
I'm thinking of grinding the keyring nub off my CT34 today, but a thought occurred to me: The spot where it gets ground down at won't be polished, has anyone had any issues/concerns with it rusting there?

Nope. I doubt it will rust. If you are using a dremel you might be able to get a polishing bit. I would always recommend using some sort of tape around the exposed areas around the edge so the metal dust doesn't all get in their. Also, maybe some extra protection on the scales near the nub in case the dremel slips so you don't wear off some of the Alox scales. Let us know how it goes.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 05:48:02 PM
Scales aren't alox. And I am going to tape everything up. Gonna see If I have some bolt cutters that will chop most of it off, then touch it up on a grinder. I figured out that if I half deploy the bottle opener it lifts the keyring high enough up that it can be got at pretty easily without getting too close to the scales.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:50 PM
Scales aren't alox. And I am going to tape everything up. Gonna see If I have some bolt cutters that will chop most of it off, then touch it up on a grinder. I figured out that if I half deploy the bottle opener it lifts the keyring high enough up that it can be got at pretty easily without getting too close to the scales.

Grinder is probably a bit OTT.  I just used a diamond file.
I'm back!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 06:03:18 PM
Yeah I was just looking at it and thinking the same thing. If I can find some cutters to lop most of it off I can touch it up by hand. Gonna do it right now so if you dont hear from me for a while it's because I slipped and lost some fingers lol

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 06:23:39 PM
A customer wanted a Black Alox Pioneer without the keyring so... dummy me proceeded to file it off and wasn't as careful as I should have been and wound up filing a bit of the Black Alox finish  :rant: So I had to do another one and sold the nicked one for almost nothing. Oh well, live and learn.  :cry:
T

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 06:27:45 PM
Ouch, that sucks. The work bench/tools are being occupied so I'll have to try again later. Oh well. That little smurf will be coming off, I'm not letting another SAK mod fail dammit!

Offline furry

Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 06:37:47 PM
Hi

I'm a big fan of lanyards (must be an army thing).

Although my EDC, which i pocket carry, has been 'kissed by the file'; i do a lot of driving, so i've MODed the nub to be a glass breaker. Haven't tested it yet, but it should work.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 08:18:16 PM
I hate them when they're there, and miss them when they're gone :{

I've taken off the nub on my Squatter (For those who missed my earlier raves, it's an Eco Recruit, and hot damn, is it a cost effective beater knife. Two blades and opener layer, swiss quality, for around the price of a large Quarter Pounder Meal!)

I think I took it off because I had damaged it in some way thourgh  :think:

I only use lanyards when I'm boating, but I still get antsy with my Soldier in my pocket on dry land, but that could be more attributed to its smooth, all round finish & weight that makes it likely to slip from a pocket than do with with being lanyardless, since I don't have that concern with Spartan or Waiter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%