Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger bottle opener vs combination tool

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Wenger bottle opener vs combination tool
on: May 30, 2018, 05:57:42 PM
So, I'm building my own custom SAK out of Wenger parts, and I was going to use a combination tool (caplifter/can opener) to keep the layer count down. I don't ever use a can opener except when I'm camping, and the knife I'm building is for everyday carry. So I was figuring the combo tool would work fine. It's still a locking screwdriver and all. However, now that I've got it in front of me, it's a lot thinner than the bottle opener. I feel like it's going to flex on screws, and possibly even bend if I try and open a can of paint with it. I'm realizing I do use the bottle opener as a pry tool relatively often. Can the combo tool hold its own? Or am I better off with a standard bottle/can opener combination?

Charles.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger bottle opener vs combination tool
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:45:14 PM
I don't have any experience with the Wenger combo tool, but I carried a Vic Compact for years.  As a screwdriver I don't think you'll have any issues with the combo tool.  Prying is another matter. 

I believe that years ago Vic made Bantams and Waiters with the bottle opener.  I think you could put the bottle opener and blade in the same layer with some thin washers to shim them to opposite sides.  You would probably see a gap between the back spring and liners.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD