Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstools the different models

Dunc · 212 · 106922

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Swisstools the different models
Reply #120 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:33 AM
Ahh joint custody , not sure if it is equitable though  :think: :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #121 on: May 08, 2010, 08:26:29 PM
Ahh joint custody , not sure if it is equitable though  :think: :D :D :D

Strangely I haven't had an answer yet. I reckon Dunc is playing hard to get  :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

Offline boomer

Reply #122 on: May 31, 2010, 02:43:23 AM
which one of the swiss tools would be goo for hunting. like repairing your gun or cleaning your bird or deer an other game.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:05 AM
I have to say that my swisstool is turning out to be a very handy tool, i leave it in the kitchen when im not edc'ing it in my bag and angie has used it a few times and said that she likes it compared to the wave as that scares her  ::) for her to show a interest is something special  :D  the drivers are not as bad as i thought they might be, there still a little slippy but ok, so far so good,  :tu:

Offline boomer

Reply #124 on: May 31, 2010, 07:24:58 PM
where would you find the different models of knifes old or new. the reason why is I saw an orange handle one an would love to know where to get one. also know if there is a book on them.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: June 01, 2010, 09:49:14 PM
I have a Swisstool as well as a Spirit X, and Ifind either one of them totally compatible with either hunting or hiking when it comes to any sort of chore that requires a little PMCS or something along those lines.. I do notice a little slipping also in the drivers because of the polishing but nothing a little patience can't fix..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline carl

Reply #126 on: November 28, 2010, 06:35:00 AM
The Stainless Swisstool now comes with a more aggressive file, probably in response to the complaints about the original very mild file.  Does anyone know when this new aggressive file was incorporated into the Stainless Swisstool?

Do all Swisstools on sale today have the newer aggressive file?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #127 on: November 28, 2010, 10:37:35 AM
The Stainless Swisstool now comes with a more aggressive file, probably in response to the complaints about the original very mild file.  Does anyone know when this new aggressive file was incorporated into the Stainless Swisstool?

Do all Swisstools on sale today have the newer aggressive file?

I don't know when the new one came into being but my 02 style head has a newer type .This doesn't mean that all 02 plier heads might have it .
   AS for your question about all swisstools on sale today I would say no . There are many in shops and some have been sitting there for years . I often see 98 plier head tools in stores .So if you do buy a new one try and find out which model it is .
   The strange thing is I prefer the older 98 pliers but I do like the new file .

Dunc

us Offline carl

Reply #128 on: November 29, 2010, 06:58:21 AM
My Stainless Swisstool which I purchased in 2008 has the old file.  In late 2008 or early 2009 we started seeing reports of the newer aggressive file showing up on the BO model first.   The stainless model must have received the newer file afterwards.

When did you purchase your new file stainless model?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #129 on: November 29, 2010, 10:59:02 AM
Carl my stainless models are the old type 98 plier heads . What plier head is your model ? you can find out in this thread .....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2463.0.html

Dunc

us Offline carl

Reply #130 on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:50 AM
Its got the 2005 head,  I purchased in 2008 but still has the old file.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #131 on: November 30, 2010, 03:37:19 PM
Its got the 2005 head,  I purchased in 2008 but still has the old file.

Victorinox tries to refrain from wasting, so perhaps they found one in their tool bin that had escaped previous fitters' hands?  Happens with Leatherman's handles from time to time.

us Offline carl

Reply #132 on: December 01, 2010, 06:11:15 AM
Maybe but the question is, will I get one with a newer file if I buy one now?  How long is a reasonable amount of time to expect the old stock to have been cleared out?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:15:48 AM by carl »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #133 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:28 AM
Theres is no sure way of knowing to be honest unless you actually see the tool or manage to get one off here in the classified and confirm it with the seller/trader . Like I said stock can sit on the shelves for years in shops .

Dunc

us Offline carl

Reply #134 on: December 07, 2010, 08:11:54 AM
I asked an ebay dealer whether the file on his Swisstool for sale was mild or coarse.  He said the file on his Swisstool he was selling was different on each side (?).

I don't see why this would be so.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #135 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:19 PM
I asked an ebay dealer whether the file on his Swisstool for sale was mild or coarse.  He said the file on his Swisstool he was selling was different on each side (?).

I don't see why this would be so.

That's the way SwissTool files are made. Both sides are double-cut smurf files, with one being more aggressive than the other. ;)

Offline SURGE

• New User
Reply #136 on: December 08, 2010, 12:10:57 PM
HELLO THERE ,I HAVE TWO SWISSTOOLS,THE STANDARD MODEL WITH DIFFERENT SET OF PLIERS BUT I NEVER NOTICED THE FILE!NIKO POU THA VROUME ALLA PSWNIA SAN K MENA STHN ELLADA?( ENNOW ME TH VICTORINOX!)

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #137 on: December 08, 2010, 03:13:46 PM
Hi there fellow countrymate. :cheers: :D

HELLO THERE ,I HAVE TWO SWISSTOOLS,THE STANDARD MODEL WITH DIFFERENT SET OF PLIERS BUT I NEVER NOTICED THE FILE!

So do the files on your swisstools actually differ?

NIKO POU THA VROUME ALLA PSWNIA SAN K MENA STHN ELLADA?( ENNOW ME TH VICTORINOX!)

(Translation for non-Greek-speakers/readers: "Niko how can we find any more fanboys like myself in Greece? (I mean Vic fanboys!)")

Not many of us here Surge. :-\ I know there are a couple more over at SOSAK (e.g. trailmaster, also a member here), but that's about it. Perhaps some member of the VSAKCS could help you out better than me. :think:

fr Offline LightFR

Reply #138 on: February 12, 2011, 06:58:34 PM
Hi all,
I'm a Field Engineer in Power Plants, and I have the luck to use daily my Victorinox Swisstool.
My work is mainly done with steam, high PH water, and sea cooling water, so I chose to get the Swisstool model black oxidized.  (Victorinox code 53954).
Unfortunately it not available at Victorinox Europe so I had to get it from the US.  I really enjoy working with it everyday :

Daily Victorinox SwissTool user

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #139 on: February 12, 2011, 08:19:19 PM
Good pics LightFR.. :tu: Swisstools are nice in BO too..  8) 8)

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:08 PM
Great tool in BO!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #141 on: February 13, 2011, 06:51:57 PM
Good choice of tool and great photos LightFR! :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #142 on: February 13, 2011, 08:43:31 PM
Good choice of tool and great photos LightFR! :salute:

I couldn't agree more , you've got one of the best Multitools there . I love the pic in your sig line too  :tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #143 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:33 PM
I chose to get the Swisstool model black oxidized.  (Victorinox code 53954).
Unfortunately it not available at Victorinox Europe so I had to get it from the US.  I really enjoy working with it everyday :

Very nice! They look awesome in black.
I didn't know it's not available in Europe? Isn't yours the same as European number 3.0323.3L?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

fr Offline LightFR

Reply #144 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:25 PM
Very nice! They look awesome in black.
I didn't know it's not available in Europe? Isn't yours the same as European number 3.0323.3L?

Thank you for your nice comments about my pictures, the back ground is just a swiss chocolate paper !
I ave check on Victorinox France web site the code 3.0323.3L and it give no result !!! So I don't know.
Anyway it is better to buy in the US because of the high rate of the Euro compare to dollars and also when you are not from the US and you buy in the US you don't pay VAT taxes... For example my SwissTool Black cost me 72USD If I buy a normal SwissTool in France it will cost me 99EUR (around 134 USD).

:multi:

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #145 on: February 20, 2011, 06:54:19 PM
That's funny you can't find the BO Swisstool in France; the French Army decided to issue its infantry as part of the new Felin programme with the very same model. Anyway I have a standard Swisstool and it is superb. My only gripe is I would have preferred the model with the scissors. My father, who was in the trades and knows his tools, had a look at it and was very impressed by the design and the quality.
LM Kick, Swisstool, Paul Chen Multitasker, and many unbranded ones

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #146 on: February 20, 2011, 07:05:50 PM
Yes there was a thread or post about the French adopting the Swisstool . I'll have a hunt about .

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #147 on: February 20, 2011, 07:16:41 PM
I couldn't find the thread but I did find this ..........

http://www.victorinoxblog.com/2010/09/30-000-swiss-tool-for-french-army-felin.html

We participate since 1996 with a stand in the Swiss Pavilion in the largest European Defence Exhibition, EUROSATORY, which takes place every second year in Paris. Initially, the French Army only placed small scale orders, mainly for mine clearing units, using our Swiss Tool.

Approach/Actions:

At the Eurosatory and through publications in Defence Magazines, we created the interest of French defence industry giants SAGEM who were awarded by the French Army with the development of a completely new, highly sophisticated infanterist equipment. The program is called FELIN which stands for Fantassin à Equipments et Liaison Intégrés. (see www.army-technology.com/projects/felin)

A multipurpose plier tool had to become part of this program and SAGEM has selected a variety of products of different suppliers to be tested and compared.

Result:

SAGEM decided that the black oxidized Swiss Tool, which we already sell to the Norwegian Army (since 1998) and Australia (since 2001) is matching best with their requirement. They further decided that each tool shall be equipped with an explosive cap crimper in order not to issue a different tool for those soldiers involved in pyrotechnical works.

After a first test series, we delivered the first official quantity in 2008. Presently we are working with our French representatives Waldmann SA and SAGEM on a "contract cadre" for the delivery of the first 6'000 units. The French Army does foresee to equip approx 30'000 soldiers with this high tech equipment with a cost of various 10'000 SFr each ! Other Nato Armies, for instance also the Italian, are orienting themselves at the FELIN program. So the order with the French army might be groundbreaking for our efforts in other countries too.

fr Offline LightFR

Reply #148 on: February 20, 2011, 07:40:03 PM
Hi all, I guess that Victorinox will make a lot of money by selling SwissTool to the French Army. The French Army always buy the best tools but pay it twice the price that normal people pay it !
In France this story is known about Facom (very nice mechanics tool, very high quality company, making a life time warranty on their tools). Facom was making tool with the stamp French Army and sell it twice to ten time the normal price.

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #149 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:12 PM
Didn't know about the Facom story but I am hardly surprised (I am French by the way and I served in the army as pasrt of my national service). Going back to multis, I think Gerber also sold a bespoke version (EOD-style) of their MP600 to the French Army.
LM Kick, Swisstool, Paul Chen Multitasker, and many unbranded ones

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD