Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstools the different models

Dunc · 212 · 106528

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swisstools the different models
Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 02:34:52 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't call bit drivers " stone age "! If you think about it, they can be found everywhere that sells tools and they are not expensive. The CyberTool bits are about $5-8 bucks each!  :o
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:34 AM
The thing is if the adapter or bits attach to the tool then how can you hold something with the pliers and use a bit at the same time ? An example of this is holding a nut and using a screwdriver on the other end .

Dunc

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 10:42:29 AM
You can also buy a Plus model which has a wrench as well as a 'plus ratchet' model which has a ratchet included.  The Spirit is the same as the standard one though.

That's one thing I don't understand about Victorinox: why go to the trouble of installing an awesome bit kit into the Cybertools, if you're still selling stone age* bit drivers?

*Work with me here.

I've never handled a Cybertool. What's so "stone age" about the bit drivers? ???

I meant the Spirit "Plus" driver. Cybertools are just fine.

The thing is if the adapter or bits attach to the tool then how can you hold something with the pliers and use a bit at the same time ? An example of this is holding a nut and using a screwdriver on the other end .

Dunc

Perfectly understandable. In fact, I often wish I had a Crunch with me when using my Juice's pliers to give steel wire a shape God did not intend for it. Should Leatherman sell the Crunch with every Juice, because it's handy?

The "plus" bit driver would be a joke if sold in a blister pack with the name Victorinox on it. That means they ought to come up with a bit-oriented multi, based on the Cybertool concept, and sell it separately.
W

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 12:22:05 PM
But why make a bit incorported MT when the bit kit and driver that is currently sold, adds a huge amount of function in the way it can be used with the Spirit, can be left at home when not needed to reduce bulk and, works damn well already?
I'm back!!

Offline Rodion

Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 03:17:32 PM
If it's so bloody handy, why not sell it separately? Call it the Victorinox Ratchet.  :multi:
W

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 03:22:18 PM
If it's so bloody handy, why not sell it separately? Call it the Victorinox Ratchet.  :multi:

Actually they do sell it separately.

Have you actually tried one?
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 03:22:44 PM
Tim (felinevet) gets them in occasionally if i remember rightly, give him an email and see what he says :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Rodion

Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 04:37:58 PM

Actually they do sell it separately.

Have you actually tried one?

lol

I did not know that. Well, there goes my theory of Vic designers taking a shortcut.  :oops:
W

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 09:33:48 PM
That means they ought to come up with a bit-oriented multi, based on the Cybertool concept, and sell it separately.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have always wished Vic would make a dedicated purely bit-based Cybertool or something along that lines. I think they could lock up the market if they tried.

Imagine a little bit driver tool of Vic quality that you could just throw in your pocket as a perfect compliment to any SAK or multitool you choose?  :drool:

[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 09:35:50 PM
That means they ought to come up with a bit-oriented multi, based on the Cybertool concept, and sell it separately.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have always wished Vic would make a dedicated purely bit-based Cybertool or something along that lines. I think they could lock up the market if they tried.

Imagine a little bit driver tool of Vic quality that you could just throw in your pocket as a perfect compliment to any SAK or multitool you choose?  :drool:

You could always just buy the Vic ratchet or wrench with bit kit and carry that.
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 09:52:59 PM
You could always just buy the Vic ratchet or wrench with bit kit and carry that.

I haven't seen the ratchet kits in person. I just assumed they would be much bigger than a Cybertool with just a driver layer.

I think you would need the extension as well to get the same reach.

Do you know how they compare in size? Could the bit kit and ratchet be used for pocket carry?

I do think that a dedicated bit driver-only Vic tool would have a compactness and geek factor that would be hard to match though...  :D

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 03:07:25 AM
Uh, are you guys talking about the same thing?

For reference, here is a Victorinox SportRatchet knife:

And here is the Victorinox bit driver ratchet accessory:

And of course, a Cybertool with its fixed bit driver:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008, 03:36:05 AM
Uh, are you guys talking about the same thing?

I think Benner was simply suggesting that I might consider using the ratchet kit as a dedicated bit driver solution since my fantasy Cybertool doesn't exist.

I had never heard of the SportRatchet before. I just read up on it in one of the old threads. What a neat idea! I can't believe it was as big as a Swisstool though!

It sounds like they gave up on the whole concept after the SportRatchet. That's too bad, because there are some great ideas there.

It looks more like a problem with execution, but I think they were onto something there.

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2008, 03:38:34 AM
I hear ya! Seems like if they could only downsize the ratchet mechanism itself a little bit, then the whole SportRatchet concept would be appealing to more folks. As it is, the darn thing is just too big to lug around. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 10:37:08 AM

I think Benner was simply suggesting that I might consider using the ratchet kit as a dedicated bit driver solution since my fantasy Cybertool doesn't exist.

It's a good job someone round here understands me.  :D

Not quite a Vic, but I think the CRKT Get-a-way driver might be something that would interest you.
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 08:34:43 PM
Yes, that CRKT Get-a-way driver does look interesting, and at a great price too! I might just get one when they become available.

I think the Vic ratchet set with extension is a better solution though, since it holds more bits and can deal with recessed screws.

The Get-a-way does offer the tremendous advantage of cheap and plentiful bits though...  :P

[

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 07:34:51 AM
My fave among the (almost) pure bit-drivers is actually a bike tool:  the Topeak "Toolbar"

R

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 12:31:31 PM
I like that one!

I was on Topeak's website yesterday and didn't see anything about that one.  Is it discontinued?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Agreatscot

Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 07:03:52 AM
That rocks, Andy! Gotta get one. Def, here is the link on their site http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools  Andy, what about the Ratchet Rocket?

Offline Agreatscot

Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 07:05:58 AM
I've gotta post more, this being a newbie so long is embarrassing!  :oops:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 07:27:40 AM
Anyone know what that gizmo is across the top of the ratchet rocket? Do the Topeak tools accept standard bits?

My big sticking point is that I frequently deal with recessed screws. A larger Cybertool-like "lightweight folding screwdriver" seems like it would be ideal. Just a collapsible, folding, or detaching shank; a small handle; and someway to store bits would do the trick.

I love talking about bit drivers, but I always feel guilty tagging everything into this amazing Swisstool thread. Maybe we should move the discussion into the general forum?
[

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 12:06:28 PM
The part at the top is obviously a chain tool.
R

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 01:48:20 PM
Multitool.org Ratchet Rocket review: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4908.0.html

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 07:16:40 PM
The part at the top is obviously a chain tool.

Thanks for the info. It definitely wasn't obvious to me though...  :P
[

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #54 on: July 26, 2008, 09:27:52 PM
I like that one!

I was on Topeak's website yesterday and didn't see anything about that one.  Is it discontinued?

Def

I don't know,  but REI has it on their website:
http://www.rei.com/product/697056

R

us Offline carl

Reply #55 on: October 08, 2008, 10:11:46 PM
I'm bummed.  Emailed SAK and asked if they have any upgrades or changes to the Swisstool in the works.  They replied with a quick "nothing is planned at this time.  Thank you for contacting us."  I was hoping for something to look forward to, maybe at the next SHOT but I guess not.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: October 08, 2008, 10:13:18 PM
I hope they are still working on the plier problems..
[

us Offline carl

Reply #57 on: October 09, 2008, 05:42:33 PM
I was waiting on a fix for the Swisstool file (not coarse enough) before I bought an "X" model but since they have no improvements planned and since a recession is upon us and that means cutting back on R&D costs (which even further supports a dim outlook on future upgrades), should I just buy my "X" now? 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #58 on: October 09, 2008, 07:00:34 PM
I was waiting on a fix for the Swisstool file (not coarse enough) before I bought an "X" model but since they have no improvements planned and since a recession is upon us and that means cutting back on R&D costs (which even further supports a dim outlook on future upgrades), should I just buy my "X" now? 
Oh yes, and you won't regret it either :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #59 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:33 PM
Yes get one , that file is better then you think and the saw edge on it really does cut through metal with ease.

Then get a Spirit  ( if you don't already have one ) .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD