Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstools the different models

Dunc · 212 · 106557

us Offline carl

Re: Swisstools the different models
Reply #90 on: October 21, 2008, 06:16:22 AM
Is there a consensus regarding the "best" or "favorite" vintage (year of make) of Swisstool (X/RS/standard)?  For example, I like the wider head but also like the Swisstool imprint on the smaller head.  I don't know about "vintage" differences regarding the implements.  I assume no changes were made to the implements.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #91 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:23 AM
I'm pretty sure the implements have remained the same :), I think the general view is to get as late a one as possible :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #92 on: October 21, 2008, 04:04:21 PM
There were some changes  :P In the Awl , chisel angle and in the wire strippers .There is a post about it I done in here somewhere .

I prefer the older model with the smaller plier head because it feels betting in the hand as the handles arent so far apart . But its not a deal breaker .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #93 on: October 21, 2008, 04:31:47 PM

us Offline carl

Reply #94 on: October 21, 2008, 05:23:00 PM
thanks for the great thread on the ST updates.

us Offline carl

Reply #95 on: October 24, 2008, 09:56:15 PM
Well, someone keeps outbidding me on a Swisstool X.  I can only go so high. 

us Offline carl

Reply #96 on: October 27, 2008, 05:55:29 AM
Lost out on my first ebay bid for an X but won the next one for a CS.  The CS turned out to be actually cheaper.  Can't wait to get it - of course I'll inspect it thoroughly to make sure its not used or from older stock.   The dealer had a good rating so I don't expect any problems.

Reply #97 on: October 27, 2008, 07:02:04 AM
Lost out on my first ebay bid for an X but won the next one for a CS.  The CS turned out to be actually cheaper.  Can't wait to get it - of course I'll inspect it thoroughly to make sure its not used or from older stock.   The dealer had a good rating so I don't expect any problems.
Good on ya mate, you won't regret it :tu:

us Offline carl

Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 02:08:14 AM
Got my CS yesterday - its gorgeous - including the leather case.  All the tools have very little or no play - the plier pivot pin has very little play also.  When any tool is deployed, the play at the attachment point to the handle is much tighter than on an as-new early model ST I handled a while back.  There was a video on this forum about a year ago showing the amount of end-play - my new up-to-date ST-X has no play or almost none on all of the tools.  Vic must have addressed this issue on the newer models.  Anyway, since this is my Christmas gift from my wife, it goes back in the box until the early am hours of 12-25-08.  can't hardly wait! 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: November 02, 2008, 02:17:03 AM
Got my CS yesterday - its gorgeous - including the leather case.  All the tools have very little or no play - the plier pivot pin has very little play also.  When any tool is deployed, the play at the attachment point to the handle is much tighter than on an as-new early model ST I handled a while back.  There was a video on this forum about a year ago showing the amount of end-play - my new up-to-date ST-X has no play or almost none on all of the tools.  Vic must have addressed this issue on the newer models.  Anyway, since this is my Christmas gift from my wife, it goes back in the box until the early am hours of 12-25-08.  can't hardly wait! 

Oooh, that's got to be a terrible tease, knowing a SwissTool is so close but not able to play with it! >:D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline carl

Reply #100 on: November 02, 2008, 05:11:46 AM
Its called "Will Power".

Reply #101 on: November 02, 2008, 09:33:25 AM
Its called "Will Power".
Who's he :think: :D

Congrates on the ST mate :tu:, it'll be worth the wait mate :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #102 on: November 02, 2008, 10:49:54 AM
Its called "Will Power".

I think he's Austins Brother  :D

Dunc

Reply #103 on: November 02, 2008, 02:42:10 PM
Its called "Will Power".

I think he's Austins Brother  :D

Dunc
:D :D

us Offline carl

Reply #104 on: December 03, 2008, 07:49:15 PM
The ST is great but the small screwdriver seems a bit too small.  I wish all the flatblades were a bit larger.  Most people I know of deal with medium to large flat blade screws.

Offline tholiver

Reply #105 on: February 20, 2009, 05:48:26 AM
I have a Swisstool X and i love it.
Kinda off topic but where the heck did the multitool.org comparative weight chart go?
I remember you used to be able to easily find it on the home page but i just looked and looked (even did a search) and can't find it.
Seems kinda silly to have to wade through a text review to just find out simple facts like weight.
The chart i remember was pretty useful, is it still here (somewhere)?
Anybody have a link?

Offline tholiver

Reply #106 on: February 20, 2009, 05:54:43 AM
Nevermind found it down a few layers in the Multi-tool Encyclopedia section
https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Comparative+Multitool+Weight+Chart

Offline tholiver

Reply #107 on: February 20, 2009, 05:55:53 AM
Strange the search engine couldn't find it, i found it by accident, lol!

Reply #108 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:07 AM
Well I'm glad you helped yourself then mate :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: February 21, 2009, 06:21:10 AM
Well I'm glad you helped yourself then mate :D

:D Rather an obliging fellow that one ::) :D

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
Reply #110 on: March 01, 2009, 07:55:03 PM
i dont know id be happy with  tools at the hardness they ar eit is soft, but the blade is thin andyou can push it through things if it is blunt also because of the thin edge it can be sharpened very quickly..

sure the vic and wenger tools aint great steel , but they are not meant for whittling  hardwoods or carving bone ,, theyer pocket knifes for lite use..  knife blade steel is fine in their multitools also.... it stays sharp long enough, if it i were to hard then theyed proably have a few broken blades and would cost the $ in warrenty $ due to the thinness of the blade and its shape.. also it would add costs to the amount of stones they buy per year.. and theyed add that to the price of the knives,...  the vic butchers knives are soft as hell, but look most butchers dont even sharpen the knives properly only thin them out on a corse stone and steel them, if they were hard the butchers would have trouble...
id like it if victorinox and wenger made some pocket knives with  better harder steel.. remember  good only british pen knives many are 59-61 rockwell.. (same with  surgical knives.. ) you can see this by the chips in their  blades...
you can ben a vic blade and it wont spring back.. same with their kitchen and butcher knives... for me this is no problem... as they arnt ment to be hard and making them soft sames  money  on grinding stones and so keeps the price lower.. (wenger and victorinox are very well prices for their  knives compared to knives from other makers that have insane quality problems...  like many pen knives from europe and u.s. that cost more.. and are softer and poorer steel and most have  many defects in the one knife.. for bad machine work )

i would like to know how hard the toold head is as a good plier head should be in the high 50 rockwells.. like 57 -59.. it cshould be hard enought to chip  and not fold, 

2 things id like address on the vic multitoo are
1 , sand blast the  screwdriver tips so the stick in the screws and not slip, who the hell polishes a screwdriver tip?? makes no common sence..
maybe ever titanium oxide coat the tips ,.. to help it stick to the scrwew heads.. although sand blasting would be enouth..

2 make it so it is easy to remove broken tools or to remove tools one dosnt need and replace them with  tools you want.....

m

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: January 16, 2010, 02:30:41 PM
i dont know id be happy with  tools at the hardness they ar eit is soft, but the blade is thin andyou can push it through things if it is blunt also because of the thin edge it can be sharpened very quickly..

sure the vic and wenger tools aint great steel.

Hi

I find the Vic steel one of the best in  the world.

NM
Get more tools

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: May 07, 2010, 06:52:54 PM
i dont know id be happy with  tools at the hardness they ar eit is soft, but the blade is thin andyou can push it through things if it is blunt also because of the thin edge it can be sharpened very quickly..

sure the vic and wenger tools aint great steel , but they are not meant for whittling  hardwoods or carving bone ,, theyer pocket knifes for lite use..  knife blade steel is fine in their multitools also.... it stays sharp long enough, if it i were to hard then theyed proably have a few broken blades and would cost the $ in warrenty $ due to the thinness of the blade and its shape.. also it would add costs to the amount of stones they buy per year.. and theyed add that to the price of the knives,...  the vic butchers knives are soft as hell, but look most butchers dont even sharpen the knives properly only thin them out on a corse stone and steel them, if they were hard the butchers would have trouble...
id like it if victorinox and wenger made some pocket knives with  better harder steel.. remember  good only british pen knives many are 59-61 rockwell.. (same with  surgical knives.. ) you can see this by the chips in their  blades...
you can ben a vic blade and it wont spring back.. same with their kitchen and butcher knives... for me this is no problem... as they arnt ment to be hard and making them soft sames  money  on grinding stones and so keeps the price lower.. (wenger and victorinox are very well prices for their  knives compared to knives from other makers that have insane quality problems...  like many pen knives from europe and u.s. that cost more.. and are softer and poorer steel and most have  many defects in the one knife.. for bad machine work )

i would like to know how hard the toold head is as a good plier head should be in the high 50 rockwells.. like 57 -59.. it cshould be hard enought to chip  and not fold,  

1 , sand blast the  screwdriver tips so the stick in the screws and not slip, who the hell polishes a screwdriver tip?? makes no common sence..
maybe ever titanium oxide coat the tips ,.. to help it stick to the scrwew heads.. although sand blasting would be enouth..

2 make it so it is easy to remove broken tools or to remove tools one dosnt need and replace them with  tools you want.....

I used my swisstool knife very hard and not sharpen it yet,its still very sharp,so I don't know what you mean about soft steel in Vic Wenger.They can't be wrong over 100 years,believe me. :salute:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:56:08 PM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #113 on: May 07, 2010, 07:18:44 PM
Nothin' wrong with a Swisstool  :multi:
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #114 on: May 08, 2010, 01:40:41 AM
i dont know id be happy with  tools at the hardness they ar eit is soft, but the blade is thin andyou can push it through things if it is blunt also because of the thin edge it can be sharpened very quickly..

sure the vic and wenger tools aint great steel , but they are not meant for whittling  hardwoods or carving bone ,, theyer pocket knifes for lite use..  knife blade steel is fine in their multitools also.... it stays sharp long enough, if it i were to hard then theyed proably have a few broken blades and would cost the $ in warrenty $ due to the thinness of the blade and its shape.. also it would add costs to the amount of stones they buy per year.. and theyed add that to the price of the knives,...  the vic butchers knives are soft as hell, but look most butchers dont even sharpen the knives properly only thin them out on a corse stone and steel them, if they were hard the butchers would have trouble...
id like it if victorinox and wenger made some pocket knives with  better harder steel.. remember  good only british pen knives many are 59-61 rockwell.. (same with  surgical knives.. ) you can see this by the chips in their  blades...
you can ben a vic blade and it wont spring back.. same with their kitchen and butcher knives... for me this is no problem... as they arnt ment to be hard and making them soft sames  money  on grinding stones and so keeps the price lower.. (wenger and victorinox are very well prices for their  knives compared to knives from other makers that have insane quality problems...  like many pen knives from europe and u.s. that cost more.. and are softer and poorer steel and most have  many defects in the one knife.. for bad machine work )

i would like to know how hard the toold head is as a good plier head should be in the high 50 rockwells.. like 57 -59.. it cshould be hard enought to chip  and not fold,  

1 , sand blast the  screwdriver tips so the stick in the screws and not slip, who the hell polishes a screwdriver tip?? makes no common sence..

2 make it so it is easy to remove broken tools or to remove tools one dosnt need and replace them with  tools you want.....

I used my swisstool knife very hard and not sharpen it yet,its still very sharp,so I don't know what you mean about soft steel in Vic Wenger.They can't be wrong over 100 years,believe me. :salute:

I think even the most loyal Victorinox users would concede that the blade steel used is "soft" compared to some of the steels used in other multitools and knives, and many like that because it makes it so easy to sharpen. It's not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

Nothin' wrong with a Swisstool  :multi:

Quite ;)
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: May 08, 2010, 08:33:12 AM
Pure curiosity, but I would love to see some accurate numbers relating to relative hardness between Vic and Leatherman  :think:
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #116 on: May 08, 2010, 08:48:17 AM
I think Vic steel is quite soft but like Dave said its not a bad thing . It makes the blades easy to sharpen .This would also explain why Vic tools tend to bend rather then snap and also why its easy to misshapen the phillips driver .It also explains their high rust resistance .

This is in no way a criticism and I wouldn't want vic blades any other way .

Dunc

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: May 08, 2010, 08:56:19 AM
I think Vic steel is quite soft but like Dave said its not a bad thing . It makes the blades easy to sharpen .This would also explain why Vic tools tend to bend rather then snap and also why its easy to misshapen the phillips driver .It also explains their high rust resistance .

Dunc

I did bend the smallest flat driver on a Swisstool once although I was being unkind to it. My Swisstool is here to stay but I wouldn't mind having an ST300 to compare  :)
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #118 on: May 08, 2010, 09:00:58 AM

Dunc

I did bend the smallest flat driver on a Swisstool once although I was being unkind to it. My Swisstool is here to stay but I wouldn't mind having an ST300 to compare  :)

Yes I've yet to try a ST300 , I would be very interested to see how they compare .

Dunc

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: May 08, 2010, 09:41:28 AM

Dunc

Yes I've yet to try a ST300 , I would be very interested to see how they compare .

Dunc

Tell you what Dunc. If we club together and buy one it'll be cheaper for both of us and the ST300 could spend most time with me and then go on it's holidays to Sea Palling  :rofl: ;)
Gabba gabba hey!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD