Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman customer service

mkphc · 13 · 3315

Offline mkphc

Leatherman customer service
on: September 25, 2006, 06:00:29 AM
Question?
Have any of you returned a tool to leatherman that was only worn? sloppy, worn blades etc

or have broken one purpously to recieve a new one?

Thanks,
Mike
H

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman customer service
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:09:30 PM
Here is a recent discussion we had regarding my experiences with the Canadian Leatherman representatives:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43.0.html

I didn't purposely break the tool, but it was in sad shape when I got it.  Leatherman's warranty repair service doesn't cover intentional or abusive breakage, and I don't suggest doing it either.  Some folks from all the major brands, including Leatherman, read this forum as well, so I don't suggest divulging any plans for that if you have any.

You might however want to contact Leatherman's customer service department and explain your problem to them.  I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what kinds of services they do offer.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:32:45 PM
Question?
Have any of you returned a tool to leatherman that was only worn? sloppy, worn blades etc

or have broken one purpously to recieve a new one?

Thanks,
Mike
Do not mess with it LMs use non standard security screws to stop the owners of their tools from making the adjustment to tighten them up. Just send it back as is and they will tighten it for you. The driver used is only available to LM certain dealers. Although I have read that they may be changing to standard torx security this year sometime.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:15:02 PM
Actually, we may have a source on the security bits soon...

Stay tuned for details!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline mkphc

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 11:26:21 PM
I called them today and the said to send $5 for replacement blades, and $4.50 for return shipping

pretty good for $9.50 plus they said to note any loose issues and they'd take care of it.
H

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 01:17:08 AM
Actually, we may have a source on the security bits soon...

Stay tuned for details!
Def

You are just trying to get me interested in buying a LM?  ;)
I must admit I could fancy a Wave or Surge if I was able to maintain it myself.

Dave

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 02:55:22 AM
They have indeed switched to a six point standard tamperproof torx but with the service they provide sometimes its just best left to the people who built it in the first place.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 03:10:40 AM
That's a good point too...

Def

Offline damota

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 04:32:22 PM
Can anyone tell me the length of the knife blade on the Wave and Surge taken from the point of the blade around the cutting edge to the tools body? I shall wait until the normal secure torx blades are available over here and most likely have one. When I get it, it will be bought unseen so have no way of doing the measurement myself. I am guessing the jaws on the Surge open wider than the Wave.
The trouble with a back to manufacturer repair is a bit of a problem when the address is half way round the world away especialy if all the repair entails is tighteng a screw or two and a bit of locktite.
I am not a fan of send it back and get it replaced, under those circumstances I would be replacing it with something more suitable.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 10:03:38 PM
I believe Leatherman has a UK representative as well.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/index3.htm

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 02:48:20 AM
The actual cutting edge of the Surge is about 11cm for the main blade and ten for the serrated.  On the Wave, the main blade is 10cm and the serrated blade is about 8 cm.
Also, as you can see, the Wave and the Surge open up to about the same size, despite a huge size difference.  The Suge however, because of the extra weight involved, can be "flipped" open one handed while the Wave cannot.  I don't know if that's an important feature for you, but I find it handy.
Def
LM_Plier.JPG
* LM_Plier.JPG (Filesize: 51.08 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:06:51 AM
The Charge and New Wave can be flipped open with one hand as well.http://equippedtosurvive.org/videos/mvi_0164.wmv
"

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19:54 AM
Blades are too big for this country, they need to be no larger than 3" 75mm. I think I will just go back to my first plan and lop 3/8th off my G Freehand.  :cry:

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD