Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox 111mm slide lock models weak?

Offline barry54

Victorinox 111mm slide lock models weak?
on: December 14, 2009, 05:19:46 AM
Hi guys. Can someone comment about   about the relative strength of the 111mm slide lock models vs the liner models There is an email about this from Victorinox posted on SakWiki.com.  It' on the page about slide locks............. "WE found them ( SLIDE LOCKS) to be insufficiently robust and sturdy for the fire brigades, the rescue services the police and army forces. For this reason we developed a knife (0,83-0,84) of the same shape and size but much stronger, with thicker rivets and blades, Liner-lock for the blade and powerful screwdriver. In this range you will find the Victorinox lock blade for one hand opening"....... My  understanding at this point is that the liner models have a more robust locking mechanism. thicker rivets and blades and a stronger cap lifter/screwdriver. This email is dated August 2008 with no update. I would like to know what the modders   and guys with 111m slide lock models think.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: Victorinox 111mm slide lock models weak?
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:52:15 PM
The sidelocks are quite fine for normal everyday use. I have never had one fail or weaken. I would agree if it's going to see heavy duty hard use that the linerlock is probably better suited. That is why all the "working knives" (generally ones with black scales) have it.
T

Offline P35

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:23:26 PM
I carried an Adventurer as my main knife for several years and used it hard on my job. Never any failures.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:50 PM
I don’t think the slide-locks are “weak”. Why would Victorinox continue to make and sell them if they were?

Frankly if you were able to cause a slide lock to fail, then it would likely be the result of abuse…not normal usage.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:55:17 PM
I don’t think the slide-locks are “weak”. Why would Victorinox continue to make and sell them if they were?

Frankly if you were able to cause a slide lock to fail, then it would likely be the result of abuse…not normal usage.

They may not be weak, but that doesn't mean I can't wait for the day when all of Victorinox's 111mm line are liner locks.  :pok:  I don't like the feel of the sidelock.  :tool:

Dunno why I chose the 108mm smiley, but it works. :P

Offline P35

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:56 PM

They may not be weak, but that doesn't mean I can't wait for the day when all of Victorinox's 111mm line are liner locks.  :pok:  I don't like the feel of the sidelock.  :tool:

Dunno why I chose the 108mm smiley, but it works. :P

I agree, I much prefer the liner lock

de Offline duder

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:16 AM
Both locking-systems were tested once for the Dutch Army (300 N on tip of blade during 3 Minutes). And both showed the same strength.
Maybe other factors were also decisive. For example the linerlocks are easier to clean and the whole knife consists of less parts. And the steel-liner gives the knife an additional overall strength (but makes it heavier).
I like both systems and I think for everyday use it does not make much difference. And I like certain tool-combinations on some slide-locks like the 111mm Hunter.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:03 AM
Does anyone had a pic of how slide lock works?

de Offline duder

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:35 AM
I found this page:

http://www.selbstschutztech.de/42055/42602.html

If you scroll down to the middle of the page you can see the slide-lock.

Compared to the simple liner-lock it has more parts. In military test they probably ask themselves questions like: What happens if the scales break or melt in fire ? Couldt the locking-mechanism block if the knife falls on hard ground or if there is dirt inside ?
In these cases the liner-lock has advantages. The liner-lock knives would work even without scales.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:49:55 AM
Thanks. From the looks of it the lock should be decently strong.

de Offline duder

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 12:12:41 PM
I think so. It`s a hardened steel pin that blocks the backspring. And the pin is guide on both sides in the two alu-liners. It`s a real good lock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%