Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Model of a Modeler

00 Offline 1jump2many

A Model of a Modeler
on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:54 PM
Last Summer I decided to try and spruce up my very first SAK, a Victorinox Modeler, that I bought in 1985.  Over the years it had gotten pretty worn out.  I read a thread about changing scales and decided to swap a pair off another 91mm SAK I had.  After carefully removing the scales from the new SAK and putting them on my old Modeler they seemed lose.  So I contacted Victorinox North America to see if I could order some scales. 

I was told that they didn't sell scales but because of the lifetime warranty I could send it in and they would replace the scales as well as replace other parts, sharpen the blades, basically refurbish it.  I was impressed with them standing behind their word/warranty and decided to send it in.  The customer service girl I spoke with told me that the turnaround time was 7 weeks.  I didn't have any problems with that, after all I hadn't been using it for many years.  I waited and approximately 7 - 8 weeks later I got the knife back. 

I excitingly opened the package expecting to see my old Modeler reborn but instead I was extremely disappointed.  They had replaced some of the parts but in the process bent a couple spacers.  They sharpened the blade but it looked like a 2 year old did it with a power grinder.  It was not what I expected from a reputable company like Victorinox.  I went to Victorinox's Swiss web site and found a customer service email address and expressed my disappointment.  A few days later a lady from Victorinox North America (Connecticut) called me back.  She said that she would email me a UPS shipping label and that I should send the knife back to them and they would forward it on to Switzerland.  I was a bit apprehensive because Vic NA kept on calling it an Explorer and it just seemed something bad was going to happen.  But since it was pretty much a wreck at that point I decided to send it to them anyway. 

Another 8 weeks go by and yesterday a package from Switzerland arrives in my mailbox. :mail:     I opened it up expecting my old Modeler to be better but still worn and aged.  To my complete and total satisfaction I opened up my reborn Modeler! :ahhh     The refurbishing job they did was excellent!  It looks as it did the day I bought it brand new.  They replaced the original parts with the same parts.  The main blade was replaced with one of the older main blades with Rostfrei on it.  The magnifying glass was the old style magnifying glass.  They replaced spacers and god knows what else.  I just can't express how good a job they did and how satisfied I am.  I guess the moral of this story is, if you decide to send a Vic SAK to be refurbished request it be sent to Ibach and not just to Connecticut.  Once again Victorinox proves why they are such a great company!   :tu:   :cheers:

My photography doesn't do the knife justice.  I wish I had taken some before shots and then took them in the same location after.  I will take a picture with all the tools open when I get a chance. 
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: A Model of a Modeler
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:09:38 PM
I glad it got sorted in the end mate.  I think yours isn't the first story of woe I've heard from Victorinox NA.  It may be you were just unlucky of course, but I do think there's no reason in the world a SAK should be sent out in less than perfect condition.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:03 AM
I'm very happy for you :D

I've never sent a Vic. in for service but if I did I'd pay the extra and send it to Switzerland direct.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline P35

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:09:39 AM
So glad they did right by you.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:44:05 AM
Good news is always better late than never. :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:54 AM
They did a very nice job.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41