Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Questions for the void of the internet

yud · 52 · 2440

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Questions for the void of the internet
on: December 20, 2009, 01:14:06 AM
 :think:

how many roads must a man walk down beafore he is a man

and was the US right to ues the A bomb to end WWII
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:00:21 AM by yud »

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Questions for the void of the internet
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:20 AM
Given that the last 3 threads on this sort of subject have all ended up being locked due to the same "problem", this one probably isn't a good idea either.

That said, I will say that I am intolerant of several things, including racism, sexism, homophobia, bigotry in any form and general ignorance. Does that make me intolerant? Yes, of course it does, but I don't spout hatred about people, or incite violence against any particular group of people. The freedom of speech laws do not include the right to do that and nor' should they. This forum is not a platform for bigots to soapbox their BS, and I'm certainly not here to read about it. I totally agree with Dave's previous comments regarding that and I think it's a shame that those of us who feel strongly about some people voicing such hatred are being gagged.
I'm not here to educate ignorant fools, I'm here to hang out with the folks I do like and chat about shiny things and fun stuff with them, or sometimes share the sadness in their lives too. Those are not things I can do with someone I don't feel at all comfortable with.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:36:01 AM

nice pioneer ;)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:39:15 AM
yes it is :D

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:37:24 AM
Given that the last 3 threads on this sort of subject have all ended up being locked due to the same "problem", this one probably isn't a good idea either.

That said, I will say that I am intolerant of several things, including racism, sexism, homophobia, bigotry in any form and general ignorance. Does that make me intolerant? Yes, of course it does, but I don't spout hatred about people, or incite violence against any particular group of people. The freedom of speech laws do not include the right to do that and nor' should they. This forum is not a platform for bigots to soapbox their BS, and I'm certainly not here to read about it. I totally agree with Dave's previous comments regarding that and I think it's a shame that those of us who feel strongly about some people voicing such hatred are being gagged.
I'm not here to educate ignorant fools, I'm here to hang out with the folks I do like and chat about shiny things and fun stuff with them, or sometimes share the sadness in their lives too. Those are not things I can do with someone I don't feel at all comfortable with.

You are so much more articulate than me. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks Chris.
I used to come here a lot.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:47:56 AM
I'm at level 41 in Modern Warfare 2 :D
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:17:06 AM
I wish I could get my wireless adapter working for Xbox Live.  If I can't I am going to run about 30 feet of Cat 5 along the baseboards.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:48:06 AM
I wish I could get my wireless adapter working for Xbox Live.  If I can't I am going to run about 30 feet of Cat 5 along the baseboards.

they have the new wireless N for xbox out now.

Personally i like a hardline connection. I have 50 feet of cat5 running from my router to the living room 360.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 04:52:34 AM

Personally i like a hardline connection. I have 50 feet of cat5 running from my router to the living room 360.

Lucky me that I have my router right next to my Xbox
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 04:54:56 AM

I have the new wireless N one, but I can't everything to sync right.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:03:46 AM
What is UPNP and how do I enable it on my wireless router?
"

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 05:14:41 AM
What she said!;)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 08:21:33 AM
Quick, find the dancing banana...  :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 01:37:12 PM
I think it's really sad that hardly anyone else here (with a couple of notable exceptions) think this is a problem.

If you don't speak out, nothing changes, if you don't act against the things you find abhorrent, people continue to get away with their behaviour unchallenged. Imagine what world you would be living in if the likes of Hitler, Mussolini and Hussain had been allowed to continue their persecution? I for one would never have existed.

The scale of this festering issue is minuscule in comparison, but it's the principle which is important. I find the silence or mockery of it to be as distasteful and offensive as directly supporting it. There are some who do indeed seem to agree with it too, which is even more disappointing. I don't intend to waste any more time trying to get this point across, so it is with regret that I am choosing not to be here while this goes on unchecked.

Have a great xmas everyone, I wish you all a wonderful and peaceful new year.

Chris
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 01:48:26 PM
I find the silence or mockery of it to be as distasteful and offensive as directly supporting it. There are some who do indeed seem to agree with it too, which is even more disappointing. I don't intend to waste any more time trying to get this point across, so it is with regret that I am choosing not to be here while this goes on unchecked.

Again, this is what I was trying to say, but with my foot in my mouth.

Well said Chris (and Kelly). I hope you don't leave us, I know most of us understand, I just wish more people would speak up :(

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 01:57:14 PM
I find the silence or mockery of it to be as distasteful and offensive as directly supporting it. There are some who do indeed seem to agree with it too, which is even more disappointing. I don't intend to waste any more time trying to get this point across, so it is with regret that I am choosing not to be here while this goes on unchecked.

Again, this is what I was trying to say, but with my foot in my mouth.

Well said Chris (and Kelly). I hope you don't leave us, I know most of us understand, I just wish more people would speak up :(

In the threads mentioned, I sent a pm to the one contender which deserved my support..    
I have stumbled upon views here that is unbelievable far from my personal beliefs, but for me MT.O is not the place to participate in discussions,
I just keep my distance from those individuals...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 02:02:31 PM
Thanks Allan mate. I suspect that 99% of people are thinking like you do FWIW.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 02:11:11 PM
I think it's really sad that hardly anyone else here (with a couple of notable exceptions) think this is a problem.

If you don't speak out, nothing changes, if you don't act against the things you find abhorrent, people continue to get away with their behaviour unchallenged.

I'm not sure exactly what problem you are referring to here, nuphoria, so it'd be tough for me to speak out against it.

There are certain MTO members who seem to enjoy trolling, in order to provoke a reaction from other members.

I notice plenty of trolling on MTO, but mostly try to follow the "don't feed the trolls" approach.

Eventually, if I get sufficiently fed up, I may respond to a persistent troll. But, I know responding is a waste of time and effort, and is actually rewarding the troll for trolling.

N

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 02:22:46 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

nice pioneer ;)

one of my next purchases after the holidays  :tu: i like the red as well,

paul

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 03:06:18 PM
It is Christmas time, Can't everyone just get along?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 03:15:20 PM
i think im missing something here :think:

BTW

:think:

how many roads must a man walk down beafore he is a man

i would say 42 :D
A

spam Offline Paul

• BANNED
Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 03:23:56 PM

Doubt it  :rofl:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 03:25:02 PM
I'm not sure exactly what problem you are referring to here, nuphoria, so it'd be tough for me to speak out against it.

Far be it from me to put words in Nuphoria's mouth, but she's referring to the comments about homosexuality and religion that have been made recently, and more specifically about the lack of clear condemnation of those comments.

FWIW, I think you're spot on about the trolling RZ, but there have been some things that go beyond simple trolling, and Nuphoria's point (and mine) is that simply ignoring it isn't enough.

I think people could pretend to Chako, but realistically, it ain't going to happen unless people stop coming to the forum, voluntarily or otherwise. This stuff is too serious IMO to simply ignore.

Anyhow, all this business is spoiling my Christmas holiday, so I'm off to chill out doing something else for a bit. This stuff makes me tired and sad :(

See ya later folks.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 03:30:20 PM
Politics and religion seem to be the perfect party killer here on MTO as in the real world. I don't like to get involved in such discussion on here . Now that's not to say i don't have strong opinions of my own i just feel that an internet forum is a waste of my time trying to bend other people to my way of thinking. I'm muleheaded in my beliefs and i suspect others are too.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 03:37:36 PM
Exactly Pacu, which is why I have been ignoring such things on this forum. If everyone did the same, there wouldn't be these issues.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 03:42:56 PM
It's got nothing to do with politics - we're talking about bigotry. There is a huge difference.

I'm repeating myself. Sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 03:47:45 PM

I can't think of a better way of putting it myself, so I won't even try.  Well said Chrissy. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 03:56:00 PM
I think a mod will come along and lock this one up sooner or later.

EDIT: DaveK, I was going to disagree with you, as bigotry is usually caused by religion and politics, but after second thought, my definition may be a tad too narrow, as race is another big cause, albeit, nothing operates in  a vacuum so to speak.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:59:30 PM by Chako »

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 04:05:15 PM
I can't put it any better than Chrissy or Dave have already.  I haven't been here that long, but I've been really disappointed and frustrated lately by some of the stuff that's been said and condoned.  For the record, I abhor bigotry in any form, for any reason.  Does that make me intolerant?  Yes it does.  Free speech does not equal intentionally inflammatory and disrespectful commentary that incites arguments and general negativity for the sole purpose of starting an argument.  Having said that, I would like to say I'm sorry for my participation in one of those recent threads.  I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone, I just caught up in something that I thought was going to be different that what it turned out to be.  So I'm sorry for that.  I really really like being a member of this community and would love it if the majority, who I believe to be fair, openminded people would not just allow the hatred and bigotry to muscle it's way in here.
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 04:07:07 PM
Far be it from me to put words in Nuphoria's mouth, but she's referring to the comments about homosexuality and religion that have been made recently, and more specifically about the lack of clear condemnation of those comments.

FWIW, I think you're spot on about the trolling RZ, but there have been some things that go beyond simple trolling, and Nuphoria's point (and mine) is that simply ignoring it isn't enough.

Homosexuality, religion, and politics are ideal fodder for trolls.

Provocative posts on these topics will usually upset someone enough to take the bait and respond.  Provoking a response is the goal.

Beyond simple trolling, which may provoke a response or two, is provoking argument on a bigger scale.

If things go well for the troll, after the first response others will choose sides and jump in.  Then the thread will degenerate into bickering and the troll triumphs.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD